Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Inside lights flickering on shore power

Inside lights flicker when on shore power ??
2013 Montana RL343. 5th wheel. We are full time now so kind of wondering where to look.
Dibber62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If it's the 120v lights that are flickering, start at the power post looking for a secure connection then work toward the rig checking any connections as you go along. Wouldn't hurt to first check with other rigs to see if they're having any problems. Beyond that, a little more info would be helpful. Do all lights flicker or just those on one circuit? If only one light fixture, look for loose wires or even a loose bulb.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

Yes, more details are needed.

Most coaches have 12v lights. When you are plugged into shore power a converter changes the 120 VAC to 12 VDC. Sometimes it also charges the 12 V battery, and in other cases there is a separate battery charger. Either way, though, most of your lights are operating on 12 VDC.

You can start at either end of the chain. One end is the shore power pedestal and the other end is the bulb. The more lights that flicker the more likely the problem is closer to the power pedestal.

Briefly, you are getting power from the pedestal which travels through the cord to your coach. Inside the coach that power is changed to 12 VDC which travels through smaller wires to the various switches and then to the lights. Fuses or circuit breakers protect the several circuits.

I think I'd start with your plug. Turn off the breaker in the power pedestal, unplug your cord, and wiggle each of the four metal prongs. If any of them seem at all loose, take that end of the cord apart and tighten things up. If all are tight, move on to where the cord attaches to the coach. Many coaches have a ring that tightens the cord to the connector. If yours has one, make sure that it is making a secure connection. See if the cord wiggles after the ring is tight. If it does, you may have found your problem. If not, the problem may be either inside your coach or in the power pedestal. Either way you may want the services of an electrician.

If you are comfortable with continuing your troubleshooting, though, see if you can get to the back side of where your power enters your coach. There will be four wires that attach there. Make sure that all four are tightly attached to the terminals. The other end of those wires will be in your breaker panel. Again, check every connection.

Then on to the converter/charger. Make sure that all connections are tight. Also check the battery connections.

My bet is that you have a loose connection on your cord OR in the power pedestal.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

It is only the 110 system. Ceiling fan light, LR slide wall lamp, Plug in night lite,and rope light on deck railing, fireplace light
Thanks for quick and excellent response. I will start at the power post, if I see anything obvious I will definetly
Get professional help for repairs to be done.
Dibber62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibber62 View Post
It is only the 110 system. Ceiling fan light, LR slide wall lamp, Plug in night lite,and rope light on deck railing, fireplace light
Thanks for quick and excellent response. I will start at the power post, if I see anything obvious I will definetly
Get professional help for repairs to be done.
I would also look into installing a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C or
EMS-HW30. (Surge Protector with Voltage Protection) Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
I believe it will save you a ton of money and peace of mind in the long haul.
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick50 View Post
I would also look into installing a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C or
EMS-HW30. (Surge Protector with Voltage Protection) Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
I believe it will save you a ton of money and peace of mind in the long haul.
2x. Agree
Scott