Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Inspection results - how much should I be concerned?

So, I got the initial assessment back from the inspector, full report due tomorrow. Two things he mentioned:

Roof - black mold spots on the roof. I'm not sure if I should be concerned with this or not, as I don't think that it affects the integrity of the roof. If I want to get rid of them, can I use a product like Over and Out or a bleach solution?

Also, on the roof, the current owner covered all the seams with metallic, adhesive roofing tape, then Dicor over it. To me, this seems to be a good thing - is there any concern with this? I believe he removed the existing Dicor before taping it.

Second observation - he said his tester showed a leak on the LP system. What kind of $$$ is this going to run to diagnose and fix?

Having almost no experience with fifth wheels - to me, LP leak is a must fix and an issue. The rest seems...well, not really to much of a concern. Is my assessment correct? Would this deter anyone from buying, or cause a price re-negotiation? Thanks for the advice!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
LP leak might just be tightening a fitting, if you can do it yourself then no cost other than time.
As to the roof, I'd be concerned about the tape, if the owner used a home roofing product it might not hold up well. The roof might just need cleaning, or if it's a rubber roof then it might need replacing if the damage has penetrated the surface.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #3

I had my inspector (I paid for the inspection) give me estimates on repairs. The estimated cost gave me an idea if I needed to be concerened and how much it would cost to fix.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #4

This is what the roof looks like - hopefully the picture does better than my description.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #5

The black marks can be removed with scrubbing/weak bleach solution, then good water washdown. Be mindful of water coming off the roof onto the sides and leaving stains.
Go easy, don't get too rough with the scrubbing--2nd go is better than rough 1 go. A lot of roofs look like that with no regular cleaning.
The tape sealing looks to be done very well--if that is an indication of rest of unit, I'd say it might be a good one.
Propane leak--just need to pressure the system and check all connections with soap solution until you find where it is going.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #6

Anyone ever use Wet and Forget on their roof?

Bleach-Free, No Scrub Mold & Mildew, Moss & Algae Cleaner | Wet & Forget
Old 04-06-2017, 05:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Also, on the roof, the current owner covered all the seams with metallic, adhesive roofing tape, then Dicor over it. To me, this seems to be a good thing - is there any concern with this? I believe he removed the existing Dicor before taping it.
I did something similar over the top of the screws at the outside edge of my slide roofs. I used Eternabond tape not what you have described. I'm not saying the silver roofing tape used is incorrect... just different.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #8
JDT

Quote:
Before using any product on the roof you need to find out who made it and what cleaning products are recommended to keep it clean. Anything else might void the warranty, if there is one, or worse reduce the life span of the roof. Ours is a Dicor and Murphy's Oil Soap is the only cleaner I use on it which was recommended when we bought ours in 2012. It will not take out some of the imbedded black spots that seem to develop but it does make it look better. I also use Dicor's rubber roof conditioner a couple of times per year.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #9

Quote:
I use it on my rental buildings, asphalt shingle roof- I spray it every 6 months - took a year before they were cleared up - it works just takes time - not sure if its recommended for an RV roof material.... But here is what the maker of it claims....

Since Wet & Forget is non-caustic, non-acidic and contains no bleach, it can be used on ANY outdoor surface material. Some of the more popular surfaces include: roofs, siding, decks, walkways, driveways, brick, RVs and boats.

Exterior Home Surfaces: Covered Porches, Decks (All types), Downspouts, Driveways, Eaves, Gutters, Patios (All types), Pavers, Roofs (All types), Screens, Shingles (All types), Sidewalks, Siding (All types), Steps

Lawn & Garden: Awnings, Diving Boards, Fences (All types), Fountains, Gazebos, Greenhouses, Hammocks, Lanais, Lawn & Patio Furniture (All types), Outdoor Mats/Rugs, Outdoor Pots, Patio Umbrellas, Plastic Playhouses, Play Equipment, Pool Liners, Pool Surrounds, Retaining Walls, Shade Sails, Storage Units

Marine: Aluminum, Boat Bilges, Boats, Boat Carpeting, Boat Seats, Canvas, Fiberglass, Inflatable Boats, Sails, Teak

Camping: Cabins, Outdoor Furniture, Pop-Up Campers, RVs

Other: Astro Turf, Basketball Courts, Cars & Trucks, Log Homes, Monuments, Tennis Courts, Tombstones

Materials: Aluminum, Asphalt, Brick, Cement, Ceramic, Clay, Composite, Concrete, Dryvit/EIFS, Fabric, Fiberglass, Flagstone, Limestone, Marble, Natural, Painted, & Stained Wood, Painted Surfaces, Plastic, PVC, Rubber, Sandstone, Slate, Steel, Stone, Stucco, Teak, Textured Surfaces, Tiles, Vinyl

Commercial: Airports, Amusement Parks, Cemeteries, Freeways, Hospitals, Hotels & Motels, Parks, Public Buildings, Schools, Stadiums, Zoos...

and virtually any other surface you can think of!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #10

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably just use standard cleaning products and conditioner once I have it. The current owner is fixing the items that were noted in the inspection, actually having them fixed, so we should be good to finish the transaction. Looking forward to having my own vice a rental....can do whatever I want to it!

All in all, I'm happy with the RV, happy with the price, and ready to be done with this transition from house to RV....too much work!