Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Ryq

I am going to install a 5500LP/6500LPOnan Marquis Gold gen set in my Teton 5er. I have the Amana residential fridge in the coach and need to be able to power it while traveling from time to time, as well as needing power for staying in places that have no ac power. The coach is not gen prepped from the factory. I am wondering if anybody out there has any tips for constructing the cabinet that houses the generator. From what i understand these gensets are completely vented from below and require no venting other than that, like venting the access door on the front of the coach. I have not checked with anyone regarding how much info Onan supplies with their gensets. I have not ordered the generator yet. I looked at Genrac and was curious if their housing was adequate for installation, without building an additional enclosure.

Any information is most greatly appreciated

Rick

00 IH 4700 Stalick Conversion DT530E allison MD 3060
Ryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Ryq

I am going to install a 5500LP/6500LPOnan Marquis Gold gen set in my Teton 5er. I have the Amana residential fridge in the coach and need to be able to power it while traveling from time to time, as well as needing power for staying in places that have no ac power. The coach is not gen prepped from the factory. I am wondering if anybody out there has any tips for constructing the cabinet that houses the generator. From what i understand these gensets are completely vented from below and require no venting other than that, like venting the access door on the front of the coach. I have not checked with anyone regarding how much info Onan supplies with their gensets. I have not ordered the generator yet. I looked at Genrac and was curious if their housing was adequate for installation, without building an additional enclosure.

Any information is most greatly appreciated

Rick

Old 09-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #3

Have you considered the Onan Juice Box? It mounts on the back of your 5er and can be removed for home use. Check it out here.

http://www.onan.com/onan/rvgenerator...torDisplay.jsp

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #4

OOPS!! Disregard,, the Juice Box cannot run while travelling.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ryq - You might be interested in this thread in the toyhauler section.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:26 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
not to be a smasrt ****, but have you checked with teton and see where and how they do it??
ours is up front in a compartment and it sits inside a metal enclosure , transfer switch is just above and to the right of it.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
Ryq

Robert,

I called Teton, and got their usual response. "Uh, we put them in at build time and have no schematics, templates or other information that we can offer you at this time". I asked if their engineers could be asked. Reply, "I'll find out, but we'll have to call you back". Hopefully they will call before I am any greyer, lol.

Mike, yeah, probably gonna need to run it down the road, but I did look at the Juice Box on Onan's site. Looks pretty good.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryq:
Robert,

I called Teton, and got their usual response. "Uh, we put them in at build time and have no schematics, templates or other information that we can offer you at this time". I asked if their engineers could be asked. Reply, "I'll find out, but we'll have to call you back". Hopefully they will call before I am any greyer, lol.

Mike, yeah, probably gonna need to run it down the road, but I did look at the Juice Box on Onan's site. Looks pretty good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rick
wow what wondeful customer service, are there any teton dealers close by they may have one in to look at? that sux the response you got.

ours was special ordered with it, but i saw a bunch prepped, with a basic metal box (firebox)
hope your conversion goes well,
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
Ryq

Robert,

Probably will put the gen on the back burner 4 now, bought a MDT to tow with so $$$. I am going to take your suggestion and find a teton grand with a genset to look at. Never thought of that .. Oh well, can't think of everything...

Old 10-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Can't speak to how Onans are installed, but we had a Generac 5.5kw LPG installed in our Titanium. It required a vent in the front compartment door as well as venting on the underside. Box was insulated and metal lined. We have been very satisfied with it. We do some drycamping but use it more when stopping for lunch. Nothing like being able to run the air cond. and be able to heat something in the microwave.