Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #1

Installing a generator in my 5th wheels basement

Ok first post, only had the 5er for like 7 months. Traded a 2002 diesel class A for it and the only thing I miss from my class A is a generator. Got an excellent deal on an almost new Generac QP 4500 for 800 bucks but can't find anyone anywhere near me that will install it because I didn't buy it from them. Thinking about trying to do it myself. My 5ver is Genset ready but I'm not sure what that means other than there is a compartment in the basement for it with the proper holes cut in the floor. So I guess my question is does anyone know where I can get DYI information on installing a Genset myself or a good garage in northern Virginia to central Virginian who does installations and is not a dealership?
Navy_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

My rig didnt come with a gen but it does have gen prep. I can say that the compartment needs to be air tight on the inside. Mine has metal sheeting on the walls.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
There maybe mobile RV techs that could install your new to you generator.

As for a DYI, I have seen some on the internet before, mostly small propane gensets into truck campers. Here is a Youtube search with some different videos.

The genset you mentioned comes up as a gasoline unit. If this is correct you will need to determine a safe way to carry gasoline, either permanent in your 5th wheel or portable with fuel line connectors to the genset.

Pay attention to the exhaust routing and make sure it routes safety away - Carbon Monoxide is bad....

Genset ready means the wiring was run from the generator compartment, an automatic transfer switch was installed, and the generator control panel is installed in the 5th wheel control closet. Pay attention to the output of the generator to wire the unit correctly into your 5ver.

The generator needs to have adequate cooling; I knocked out the panels in the floor of my SOB 5ver when I installed a 5500kw propane unit. It was genset ready.

Brian

PS
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Vet View Post
Ok first post, only had the 5er for like 7 months. Traded a 2002 diesel class A for it and the only thing I miss from my class A is a generator. Got an excellent deal on an almost new Generac QP 4500 for 800 bucks but can't find anyone anywhere near me that will install it because I didn't buy it from them. Thinking about trying to do it myself. My 5ver is Genset ready but I'm not sure what that means other than there is a compartment in the basement for it with the proper holes cut in the floor. So I guess my question is does anyone know where I can get DYI information on installing a Genset myself or a good garage in northern Virginia to central Virginian who does installations and is not a dealership?

I am moving out of a Class A to a fifth wheel and will be installing a generator in my fifth wheel when it arrives. What you are trying do with the Generac generator maybe dangereous because the generator is not made for installing in an RV application. The Onan RV generator is made for the typical compartment found in generator ready 5th wheels. These generators have the air intake from the bottom made for the cutout found in the steel shell on generator ready unit. The exhaust is run from the generator to the side of the unit. If it where me and I was going to use a Generac standalone type generator I would put it in pickup bed and run a power cable to a plug on the fifth wheel.

If you go to Cumins/Onan site you can download the installation manual for their RV generators.

A generator ready unit typically means the manufacture has installed a generator steel box for an approved type generator. Also they install a transfer switch, a start button inside the unit, a wire from the battery to start the generator and typically an hour meter to monitor the generator.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #5

I had mine installed in Lake Havasu City, AZ by an automotive shop that does a lot of these installations. I also could have gone to an RV shop. I didn't find anybody that needed to have sold the unit. They get paid by the installation. Shop labor plus incidental supplies.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Found this that may provide you with some installation info.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:10 AM   #7

Thanks for all the great information. Everyone was very helpful and I found a company to do the work at a reasonable price. I just wanted to update the forum on the Genarc generators. The carry a genset called the QP series QP 3000 QP 4500 QP 5500 etc. QP stands for Quite Power and these units are made exactly like the Olon genset with the air intake and exhaust out the bottom and look exactly like the Olan series exempt they're black and make half the noise of the Olan genset I looked at.
Navy_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:57 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Where do they sell Generac QP series generators. Everything I see on the internet suggest they are no longer made!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #9

A couple of years ago l was looking at them. Then they disappeared on line. I don't think they make them anymore .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #10

Make sure that you have at least 2 working CO detectors, please.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generac does have "RV" style generators that are setup right. They're 2ndary to Onan in industry, but certainly can work..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:03 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Generac made RV style generator's in the past, but they no longer make the RV style similar to Onan.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #13

That is correct. 2hen l was looking a xouple or so years ago Generac sold an RV generator. Since they seem to jave fotten out of that end of the business.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
That is correct. 2hen l was looking a xouple or so years ago Generac sold an RV generator. Since they seem to jave fotten out of that end of the business.
Same with Honda. Too bad - Onan could use some competition.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, generator, install