Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #1

Installing Bed Rails

I recently changed my truck to a GMC 3500HD. I kept the hitch from my old truck, but not the rails. Hitch is Reese 16K which uses standard type rails available from Reese or Curt. I have looked at videos and instructions as to mounting the vehicle specific brackets under the truck bed. I don't want "universal" brackets as that means drilling holes in frame. I realize that I will have to drill the through the box, but generally the installation does not look to be rocket science. I think I have all the tools needed.
My questions are:
Has anyone done this themselves, and how difficult was it?
GM uses a box type frame, so you have to feed the bolts through holes with a wire leader. That looks like it could be tricky. Especially if you drop the bolt. How difficult is it to feed the bolts through the holes?
Is there a difference in quality between Reese & Curt?
Any other suggestions or cautions?

Thanks, Gary
Tollyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #2

When I installed my hitch (a Reese in the beginning) I bought the kit specific to my truck...it bolted on with no problems and the only holes I drilled were in the bed. It was a straight forward job and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again - go for it!

The instructions were easy to follow - they show where the hitch should end up and give all the measurements.

I forgot to say that feeding the bolts through the frame was easy - I didn't use a wire leader...I did get help to do the bolts that hold the rails in the bed...its a pretty long reach for one guy. As I think about it, I think the bed bolts were carriage bolts with square shoulders.

Hope that helps...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #3

Since you have a nice new truck sell the hitch and rails you have. Now install the B&W TurnoverBall under bed hitch then install the B&W Companion in the bed. When the hitch is removed the bed will be clear of the rails.

BTW Curt 5er hitches are all made in China and REESE are either made in China or Mexico.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #4

Installing the custom brackets is pretty ez, the kit comes with the wire guides needed for the blind bolts.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
JDT

I installed a set of Curt bed rails in my truck. The installation kit is specific for the truck and needed no drilling. It came with the wires to guide the bolts thru the frame. It worked really well which made the installation relatively easy. I have a Trailer Saver hitch so rails were my only option. GM did not have any kind of mounting system when I ordered the truck.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:08 AM   #6

I installed a Reese RP 50064-38 custom kit with almost no problems. The only thing I needed help on was the thru bed bolt above the fuel tank, there wasn't much room above the tank.
I did loose one bolt that pulled out of the wire feeder, but it rolled down the frame close enough to an access hole that I could retrieve it with a magnet.
My installation took about 2 1/2 hours, with a few refreshment breaks and I took my time. A much, much easier install than the universal kits and drilling through the frame.
kgburns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Since you have a nice new truck sell the hitch and rails you have. Now install the B&W TurnoverBall under bed hitch then install the B&W Companion in the bed. When the hitch is removed the bed will be clear of the rails.

BTW Curt 5er hitches are all made in China and REESE are either made in China or Mexico.
X 2 on this. I made the move to B&W when I bought a truck with it already installed. Sold the rail mount hitch and bought the Companion. Way worth it.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install