Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 06:44 AM   #1

Installing Dryer Vent '16 Keystone Cougar 333MKS ???

I'm installing a Splendid 2100XC vented washer dryer combo in my 2016 Keystone Cougar 333MKS. When I got into the w/d cabinet I found these instructions for installing a dryer vent:

FIRST - In the washer/dryer cabinet
Drill a hole in rear wall inline with dryer outlet.
SECOND - Remove panel in front storage pass thru.
THIRD - Locate vent in sidewall in step area on door side of unit & run hose between outlet & vent.

These instructions make no sense to me.
1) Is the rear wall reference the rear wall of the cabinet? If so, that would be front of the FW. And by what I can find, there's not enough clearance in that wall for a 4" pipe.
2) My front storage is not a pass thru and the pass thru storage removable panel is located on the opposite side away from the bedroom. I do not see a pathway for a vent through the pass thru storage.
3) The step area door side is 15 feet away from where the w/d cabinet is. That seems an awful long way to go for a dryer vent.

Can anyone shed any light on these instructions or should I just locate the vent in the side wall of the FW which I have read about in all of my searches concerning installing dryer vents?

Any information, pictures or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance as many of my other questions have been answered through the search feature here.

Bruce
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #2

It sounds like you have a dryer vent already installed? Then run the dryer hose from your dryer to the vent. The instructions sound like there is 1 wall and 1 panel in between your dryer and the vent. 15 feet is long but it's doable. If you don't want to do that, you can cut through and install a new vent. That's what I did because I didn't have a pre-installed vent.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #3

Most I've seen just vent to the outside wall nearest the WD installation. This is not as hard as one might think. Use a studfinder to try and locate any bracing in the wall. Trace around the vent pipe in the area that appears to be clear. Use a small drill bit or finishing nail and drill several times around the traced line just to make sure the area is clear. Instructions will tell you to use a 4" hole saw, but if you don't have or want to buy one, then use a dremel tool with the rotary cutter attachment to cut out the hole. The next part is tricky, and it is to find the center of the hole on the outside wall. Drill a small hole through the estimated middle of the inside hole. Go outside and center the vent pipe over the small hole and use the dremel tool to cut out the outside wall. I used the higher priced chrome outside vent and it looks great. Use some silicone around the outside vent before inserting and fastening down. Easy.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #4

Much easier to use a hole cutter with a center bit. The Camco vent kit is cheap and includes some sealing tape along with the louvered vent. Finish with rv non-sag sealer.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

I agree that it would be much easier with the hole saw. My only problem was that I didn't have one and didn't want to buy one for a one time deal. The one good thing about the dremel tool is that if you have any hidden wires or braces in the wall you will see them before drilling completely through the wall.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

I went ahead and did what I had to do! I didn't really care what the inside of the WD cabinet looked like as it would be covered up anyway and looks a little ugly. It was quick with a Dremel. Here's the interior.

As you can see the first location didn't work as there was part of the aluminum structure in the way. I then lowered it and checked to make sure nothing else was in the way, measured again and had to move over a little to avoid hitting the trim on the exterior. Drilled a small hole through the exterior and double checked that vent would hit anything out there.
And the exterior -

The exterior dryer vent was white from Lowes and I had some Dark Rubbed Metallic Bronze spray paint that matches the Cougar's bottom skirt perfectly.

I sent Keystone an email asking to clarify their instructions and they told me to take the unit to an authorized dealer to do the work and sent me a copy of their warranty. I didn't expect anything different.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #7

Excellent job.

Tags
install, vent