Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Installing help please

This space is in the bedroom of my 5er. I have a tv already that fits nicely into this space (ignore all of the wires. They are not applicable and are just laying across the top of the cabinets). I would like to buy an a tv bracket with an articulating arm to mount into this space. The frame work in my 5er is aluminum if I remember correctly. I would prefer to install this myself instead of paying a dealer to do it, but I don't want to screw up the wall by doing it wrong or by not anchoring it properly. Although I'm handy around the house, I can't say the same for the RV when it comes to this. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tvphoto.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	22713  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
How about getting one that mounts to the base of the cabnet instead of the wall.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

If you can locate the aluminum studs in the back, I would mount a piece of approx 3/4 inch plywood to the studs to give a solid mounting surface for the Tele Mount. I assume the side walls are the typical thin paneling which would make them no good for the mount. The main thing you need is a good solid base to mount too.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #4

When installing a washer/dryer in our Outback, I called Keystone befor drilling the 4 inch dryer vent. They gave me locations of the alumn frame members by inches from a reference point. Worked fine.
Ray
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

I just installed a bed lift kit on my rear pedestal bed. Thought the pedestal was plywood, but turned out to be luan sandwiched over welded aluminum frame. The bed lift takes a helluva load because of the leverage involved. I had to spread the load out to a bunch of small fasteners, as there was nothing that would hold one ore even a few bolts at the high # of pounds each the bolt would carry.

I located the aluminum framing, arranged a plywood plate that would span, like Shortlance suggested, and drilled undersized holes for a whole slew of closely spaced self tapping screws.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #6

I know this will be a dumb question but is there anyway to use a stud finder or something similar to locate the aluminum studs behind the wall?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
I know this will be a dumb question but is there anyway to use a stud finder or something similar to locate the aluminum studs behind the wall?
That's a good question. I have a cheap stud finder in my shop. Now I'm going to need to dig it out to see. I'm thinking it will not work because it isn't that good in the house with 2x4's.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #8

I normally check for studs by sound, tapping along the wall until the sound changes, then with a very small drill bit or an awl make sure that you are on a stud, when you locate it you can mount a piece of plywood to the entire back making sure you fasten on the stud or studs and then mount you stand to the plywood:-)
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I can't tell by the picture how heavy the cabinette is or what it's made of. Also do not know the weight of the TV, but assume a light LCD or a lighter LED.

Depending on the above, I see several choices. The bottom, one of the sides, the back and possibly the ceiling.

As far as the back, a stud finder may work, however I believe they can only detect steel, not aluminium. Perhaps a metal detector? If you must go with the back, you may find a stud by just pushing on it. Failing that, I would cut a 1" cross-section to see what is back there. You can always cut a nice piece of paneling to cover the entire back no matter what happens. Cutting that cross-section may also show you a way to beef up that area if a stud is not close enough to center. One last thought is glue a 3/4" piece of plywood to the back wall and also incorporate that to the inside cabinette walls. That should give you enough strenght. Good Luck!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
D&J

If you want to be able to bring the TV out past the compartment I don't think you will find a arm long enough so you could mount it to the back wall. What I would do (this is also what I did in my sisters MH) is build a L bracket out of wood that would mount to bottom of the cabinet and screw it in place from the underside of the cabinet. If you have room you can use a piece of plywood on the underside to sandwich the cabinet bottom to make it stronger if not use washers. I used metal straps on the back side of the L bracket to transfer the weight of the TV to the base of the bracket and a piece of 2X4 on the backside where the arm screwed to the plywood L bracket. You only have to make the bracket tall enough for the arm so you can still get to the plugin and TV connection. You will also have to come up with a way to secure the TV when on the road, you can build small removable blocks that go under TV to support it and stop if from moving. First you have to buy a arm so yo know where to mount everything.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Good point about securing for travel as vibration is the plague of electronics !

My decision not to mount my tv in the large basement we have was based on vibration and this particular tv being a 'home' tv, not an rv designed tv...

Can u post a pic from a little further back so we can see what's around the 'hole' and offer some opinions...

my concern about test holes is what is behind that test hole ? sewer plumbing, water line, electrical ???? even a pin hole in the 'right' place could be an issue
Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #12

I recently did something similar in my 5th wheel. I would mount a block of wood crosswise between the sides of the cabinet and mount the tv bracket to it. You could make a "T" and mount it to the side and the floor of the cabinet.

I mounted a 37" flat screen in a similar manner. When we are at home it is on the wall with a removable block of wood with the tv extendable arms bolted to the wood. the wood block (of oak) slides into a wood plate on the wall. I don't travel with it in place. I remove it (5 second job and lay it down and secure it on the bed.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #13

@johnboytoo. I will post a "broader view" pic soon. I spoke to an service tech at an rv dealer and he said there was no way to be sure what was behind the wall. He said that they usually mount tv's directly to the wood frame of the cabinets most times. For now I usually just put the tv up there when we are settled and then lay it on the bed when we travel. Maybe that just might be the best solution for my case after all.