Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #15

We use Reflectix on all our windows. It is easy to mount them if you get a pack of these:

https://www.staples.com/FFR-Merchand...product_248674

These suction cups were designed to hold signs in store windows, and they work very well to hold the Reflectix against a window. Removal is easy with a fingernail under the suction cup.

I just cut the Reflectix slightly larger than the window, so that when installed with the suction cups it has to bend ever so slightly around all the edges forming somewhat of a seal. Then push the suction cups from the inside and things just stay where you put them.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I have used it in two Safari Treks. Windshield & driver - passenger side windows for the '95, but windshield only in the '99 since all side windows are double pane and I read somewhere that reflectix promotes fogging in these windows.:
I read that somewhere too but can not find any first hand knowledge of that happening to anyone or any info from any manufacturer on the subject. I just bought a roll from Lowes and plan to cover all the side windows from the afternoon sun here in Florida. I have been using it on the windshield for years. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just remember that if you have double pane windows putting tint/reflective materials inside may cause the window panes to fog inside and that gets crazy expensive to fix.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Just remember that if you have double pane windows putting tint/reflective materials inside may cause the window panes to fog inside and that gets crazy expensive to fix.
Obviously, you didn't read my post just prior to yours. So where did you get this information? From a reliable knowledgeable source? The manufacturer of double pane windows? The manufacturer of Reflectix? Any first hand source with experiences that this actually happened because of refective material? Lots of first hand experience from owners that have used this material and never had any adverse effects, including me. Of course, if someone posts it on the internet it must be true. Chuck
Old 07-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #19

My memory just kicked in: A few years back we had our driver & passenger double pane windows rebuilt at Suncoast Designers in Florida https://suncoastdesigners.com/. Here's a section of their warranty:

....does not include defects or damages attributable to improper insulation and or application of product, such as any form of tinting, film, reflective glass, or other heat reflective materials does not include defects or damages attributable to improper insulation and or application of product, such as any form of tinting, film, reflective glass, or other heat reflective materials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I have used it in two Safari Treks. Windshield & driver - passenger side windows for the '95, but windshield only in the '99 since all side windows are double pane and I read somewhere that reflectix promotes fogging in these windows.

The stuff really works; even in the inside of the windshield. I first put self adhesive Velcro around the windshield to better seal the reflectix, but the heat inside the glass melted the adhesive
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #20

George, I have had work done there also. I'm not sure a warranty disclaimer is an authoritative source. Everyone has to make decisions that are within their comfort zone. We have used Reflectix on the inside of our double pane factory tinted windows for over 4 years now. No fogging or other issues. That's our first-hand experience. Chuck
Old 07-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #21

Well, we all know that warranties tend to be CYA (For others Google this if you need a definition ) so yours is a real world experience Thanks. Maybe I will try reflectix on our driver & passenger windows. Again, this product really works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
George, I have had work done there also. I'm not sure a warranty disclaimer is an authoritative source. Everyone has to make decisions that are within their comfort zone. We have used Reflectix on the inside of our double pane factory tinted windows for over 4 years now. No fogging or other issues. That's our first-hand experience. Chuck
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #22

I also use it as blackout for sleeping in after late night astronomy.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We first used it in Alaska and it makes a big difference. Just cut it a little oversized and stuff it in the window frame. In Alaska we used them to block the light, sunset at 12:30 am and sunrise about 3:00 am. I like dark rooms to sleep. Stuffed them into the vents and skylights as well. Some of them I made with double or triple layers and taped the edges together.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:00 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Obviously, you didn't read my post just prior to yours. So where did you get this information? From a reliable knowledgeable source? The manufacturer of double pane windows? The manufacturer of Reflectix? Any first hand source with experiences that this actually happened because of reflective material? Lots of first hand experience from owners that have used this material and never had any adverse effects, including me. Of course, if someone posts it on the internet it must be true. Chuck
I believed what I read on IRV2. Several people said that the window manufacturers stated that any window films (ie) tints should only be applier to the outside and I assumed that this might apply. My bad. I have noticed that, on my side windows, the side with the screen has fogged more quickly. They heat up faster.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #25

I had a stone chip in my windshield, and was in Miami on a very hot sunny day. I put reflex across the windshield area, and it really helped with the cooling inside. Anyways, an early afternoon rain shower came and I heard the windshield crack. Looked under the Magna shield outside and sure enough the windshield was now cracked bottom up through the stone chip then about 18 inches horizontal 4 inches from the top then back down to the bottom. I blame the cracking on the intense heat that the windshield held due to the reflex, then the cold water hitting I know the stone chip was a factor however it was there for two or more years with no issues till I put the reflex in the inside.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #26

Reflex being blamed for heating windows and causing breakage/fogging just defies logic. The silver reflective backing should reflect the heat back out through the glass window. The black film that covers the window will absorb heat, but that will be the case with or with out the reflex.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #27

I'm guessing that it traps a layer of air against the glass, and this layer get super heated and causes problems.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I'm guessing that it traps a layer of air against the glass, and this layer get super heated and causes problems.
And that's what all this speculation is, guessing. Chuck

Tags
install, wind, window