Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Insulating a Teton

Hello all. I Have been rebuilding a older Teton and I am now at the weather and position to pull the outer skin off and ready it for replacement. In the meantime I am wondering about the type of insulation , Foam or rolled fiberglass? And what is the cost and efficiency of the spray? Alot of gray area there for me. My wall construction is fiberglass siding glued to panel then 1.5" stud filled with fiberglass and then .5 inch foam board interior to interior panel .
Thanks , Jon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #2

You're pulling off the outside skin? Holy cow, much more ambitious than I.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #3

Well on my quest to have a decent long term fifth wheel and my father had bought the same model in the early 90's and his has held up great! I decided to update my used model that hasn't been cared for very well yet the structure and mechanics are in tact and functioning well. So in my mental calculator it seems ill have a great fifth wheel under 10,000 that looks brand new . But it has to last for my lifetime and I plan to live over 20 years longer.. Plus , this is a toy..
Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #4

Humm - interesting question. How about rolled wool type insulation that is used by DRV.

Cool - you actually have control over how well you insulate. You can make sure there are no air pockets or shoddy work.

Not sure how you attach rolled wool or fiberglass insulation w/o risk of it slipping down from the top of the wall.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2014, 01:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I would really encourage you to do the spray foam. You can order the whole kit from a number of places on line. Fiberglass is next to useless, if you do some investigating the "pink" fiberglass industry spent millions lobbying to stop EPA from actually testing and rating various insulations. For all the work you have done and if you are going to keep it, spray foam is the way to go. Retail to have it installed around here into a house is about $5 a sq.ft- that is to a depth of about 3" in a 3 1/2" wall. Don't believe the crap some people try preaching about it expanding and blowing out your walls- that only happens to hillbillies who don't read directions and try to push it through a hole in the wall. Stripping the skin off like you are doing it will be super easy. Just practice your stroke a little to get your timing down so you fill only enough to let it expand to 90% of cavity. That keeps you from having to trim it back flush with stud so you can get you skin on again. Using foam is about R5 per inch but the real benefit is the complete sealing and prevention of drafts and air transference of cold/heat. Check though about which kind is best as there are two basic kinds and one is hydrophobic and the other can absorb water. I did my whole north wall as a DIY in my house by stripping the drywall off. Unbelieable difference in this old house (1961)- no drafts when the north wind is blowing @ -35 or -25 like tonight. The other benefit of foam is the tremendous strengthening of the structure. If not the spray foam, the solid sheet placed between studs, maybe a little spray foam to help glue it and seal it in place- should give you close to same good result and will be readily available locally. Get the better foam if you're going to do it, not the styrofoam but the Blue sheets or equivalent. You'll be a happy camper when done. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #6

Thanks, tuffr2 and poppasmurf,
I think this year has been a cold one for us here in Texas. Maybe my wish for 102 degrees is on its way? Although I do not think I will go camping at 20 degrees although I do plan to travel up north and or west with the family. I was very comfortable when we brought it home and it was very windy at 27 degrees . The camper was 74 inside . So as I am tearing it apart the rolled insulation is in very good shape and in place. I dont know how they were able to do that ? 1992 was a long time ago. It does look well constructed though . Much like a house but the wood dimensions are half yet sturdy. So if I get a great insulating factor and some extra wall support from foam then I may have to bite the bullet and grab it. I found a few DIY kits running 650.00 on Amazon.. Seems expensive.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What about using the recycled denim batts of insulation? I seen it the big box home improv stores, it cost more but I'm not sure if the higher price is because it's more efficient or just because it's new. It seems like it would stay up pretty well and not sag in the wall.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #8

Hello Jimmerinwi,
I saw the denim bat stuff, I think it would be almost imposable to hold it into the wall while rehanging a 40' x 9' side of the rv and I was very worried about the fire protection. I believe it would make a rv kind of a roman candle .
Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The jeans type of insulation would weigh more too, I think. My choice would be the high density foam sheets. It is better than the fiber glass, and you wouldn't have to buy a kit to spray it in. Maybe use a can of the spray foam for the odd spots where you can't fit the sheets.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #10

Hello JudyH ,
I was looking at the foam sheets and it seems more like a puzzle piece.
And it has a bunch of fill in around the edges. I know the other isnt cost effective but it is way kool to spray it in one sheet and it seal tight.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

On my Teton the walls are laminated wood framing and high density foam. The insulation is actually part of the strength of the wall. I don't see how you can duplicate this.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #12

Hello Glennwest,
What Teton do you have? I found a contractor buddy who installs the foam insulation and the cost is about half with me using his equipment. And it is told that spraying the foam into the wall does in fact make the walls very strong and it is a natural sound barrier? We will see. It is supposed to warm up next week so I have hung a few braces from the roof of my shop to remove and install the newer siding so it looks as we will see .
Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 AM   #13

my 98 Teton also has the foam insulation with wood framing very well insulated -20 nights 2 1500 watt forced air fan heaters to keep it at 72 and bedroom furnaces cycles every 1 to 1 1/2 hours to heat the water comparment windows are your biggest air holes double or triple pained and youll never be cold or hot
Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbrown View Post
Hello Glennwest,
What Teton do you have? I found a contractor buddy who installs the foam insulation and the cost is about half with me using his equipment. And it is told that spraying the foam into the wall does in fact make the walls very strong and it is a natural sound barrier? We will see. It is supposed to warm up next week so I have hung a few braces from the roof of my shop to remove and install the newer siding so it looks as we will see .
in my signature.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote