Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Insulation

I am doing some work on the valve on my poo poo tank and even though the underbelly is enclosed there is no insulation under the main living quarters of my camper. Should I add insulation, what kind, on the floor of the belly or attach to the sub floor? Thanks in advance for your help.
gasman28110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #2

You can if you want, couldn't hurt. Usually it's just laying up on top of the under belly.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Would that be just regular fiberglass batt insulation?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Yep. Nothing special.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

Fibreglass batt insulation can soak up a lot of water and become useless.

If you are insulating to stop tanks freezing then it will be of limited benefit unless you have a heat source there as well
Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
You would do better to spray foam the underside as fiberglass will soak up water. You could also retro fit tank heaters with minimal expense. When in use your motor home is an efective heatsink. Slightly freezing temps ouside probable won't freeze the holding tanks.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #7

Thought of insulation for the wet bay. Saw only work there. Opted for a $5 trouble light for in the bay when temps are below 30. Works well.

But I avoid temps below 40, and my knees thank me for that.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #8

Good answers above, but 'mat is not your friend' as noted above. If you want to go down this route take 1 or 2 inch fome (sp?) (can't find 2''? No problem, just glue two 1" together) sheets and lots of contact glue. Same stuff they use 'in home' wall construction. Gets a bit fiddlie, and not a job one guy can do as you put a 10'-12' 2x4 (on edge) underneath and lift (PRACTICE THIS FIRST!!) into place. Take pre-cut sections of 2x4 to act as wedges to hold the board/fome sheets in place while the glue sets/holds.

Actually took a light automotive floor jack and had enough room to slide same under the middle and did a light upward push (it doesn't take much) and the thing worked a treat.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
consider some reflectix as a barrier --- just found out our 5er has it throughout !!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #10

Go to any home supply of your choice and get blue foam board - you can find 1", 2" and maybe 4". Also get some liquid nail glue in tube. Then go to a truck tire repair shop and get three or four inner tubes that will hold air. Then you just cut pieces to size, put liquid nails on the side to glue up and use the inner tubes to hold in place. If the distance is greater than one tube fill lift/hold then put one on top of each other.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The reason there is no insulation is simple. Warm Air Rises! So Unless You have a source of Heat underneath insulating is a waste of time and money! Proper Air circulation underneath is important so don't seal moisture in or You will have Rust.Rot and Mold to contend with in the years to come.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
The reason there is no insulation is simple. Warm Air Rises! So Unless You have a source of Heat underneath insulating is a waste of time and money! Proper Air circulation underneath is important so don't seal moisture in or You will have Rust.Rot and Mold to contend with in the years to come.
I had not thought of this. I only thinking of a warmer floor. Maybe I should put my shoes on.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV
So the warm air rises from the ground in sub freezing temps and keeps the tanks and any lines from freezing? Makes sense
Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
There really is no way to seal the basement completely, I was just trying to think of a way to save $$ in the summer and propane in the winter.