Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Insurance

What is the best Insurance company for your 5TH wheel camper & tow rig?, for full replacement?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you a weekend warrior or full timer? What state are you a resident of? Going thru an Independent Insurance Brokerage Company can do the research for you.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
go to PoliSeek ( Instant Insurance Quotes by PoliSeek ). Tell them what you want and they do the research and provide quotes back. If you are a full-timer, make sure you tell them you need full-timers insurance.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #4

Usa or Canadian?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
What is the best Insurance company for your 5TH wheel camper & tow rig?, for full replacement?
If you are a member or a veteran of U.S. military forces, then probably your best bet is USAA.

www.usaa.com

You care about cost, but you should also care about service. USAA is consistently rated very high as being the "best" insurance company around. I've been a member for over 50 years, ever since I was a 2nd Lt in 1961, and have all my car/truck/trailer/home/property insurance with them. They usually beat the other company prices, and they always have excellent service.

When I first joined USAA, you had to be an officer. Decades later, they accepted senior NCOs. Finally anyone on active duty, and recently anyone who ever served in uniform can join.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

If you are eligible for USAA they will be a competitive company for your auto insurance. They provide excellent service and no "fun and games" when it comes to claims or rate increases after the first year. I have used them for over 45 years. The problem is that they do not insure RV's. They will set you up with Progressive Insurance. I have had Progressive on my motor home for almost two years with no rate increases, but that is not an extensive history so their vote is still out.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I have auto ins. with Farm Bureau , my premiums r $105/month , full coverage on new & liability on older one, its the 5th wheel i need coverage for.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Both my 5er and my TT are covered by my USAA "Texas Personal Auto Policy". The RVs are listed as seperate "vehicles", but they are covered for collision only when being towed by one of my other vehicles that is also listed in the policy. For the 2012 TT, $500 deductible collision and comprehensive costs me $89.64 per year. There is no separate charge for liability for the trailers, since that is covered by the liability coverage on the tow vehicle.

For the 2001 5er, I dropped collision years ago, so it has only $500 deductible comprehensive which costs me $17.38 per year. Comprehensive covers fire, rainstorm, tornado, hurricane, theft, ect., so both trailers are pretty much covered for anything that's likely to happen to them. We don't travel with the 5er any longer, so it doesn't needs collision. We've put over 10,000 miles on the TT the last two summers, so we have the collision coverage on it.

Both my RVs are towables. I don't know anything about insurance for motorhomes.

My tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150. I have 100/300/50k liability and $500 deductible comprehensive and collision on it. Cost is $771.26 per year. My wife got run over and tore up a brand new 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L back in 2009, with a $13,000 repair bill. So I'm pretty sure my cost for insurance would be lower if she hadn't had that wreck.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had American Modern Home which got bought by GMAC which is now National General Insurance. I have the full replacement coverage as well as the full timer clause. The full replacement is: first 5 years replacement trailer same make/model or of equal quality. Last five years is full purchase price. I decline the ERS as I use CoachNet.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check out Blue Sky!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #11

Probably varies with different states. We have Allied which is Nationwide.

browne07 is offline   Reply With Quote