Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Insurance, 5th Wheel

As we shop for general insurance insurance it seems there is a great deal of smoke and mirrors in the RV game. The top underwriters appear to be Progressive and National General formerly GMAC. Getting a sample policy thus far has proven impossible so we are limited to internet research and I sure hope this group can offer some experienced assistance. Without a sample policy surely something is hiding! Can anyone offer recommendations for an underwriter and secondly an agent? We are not shopping for price rather coverage. We need to know what is really being offered to make a judgement on the best course. Does anygone have a comment related to Good Sams Club as an agent? They sell National General. Another agent we have considered is Hi Sage and they quote from Progressive. This is extremely frustrating and just considering the options leaves one with no confidence. All comments are welcome and most appreciated!

Next question, we are looking for opinions related to extended warranty coverage. All comments are appreciated.
captainchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #2

I have mine all bundled up through State Farm INS, the house, both vehicles and my 5er. I did have one claim against the 5er in 2011 out west at 8:00 AM on a Sunday Morning. The driver side front trailer tire blow and damaged the camper. I called State Farm and within 20 min’s a wrecker was there to change tire and get me on the way. State farm paid for all of the repairs except for my deductible and replacing the failed tire which to me was reasonable.

I would check with your house and vehicle INS carrier to see if they would under write the 5er.

Jim W.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #3

My homeowners is with ERIE, but my agent reccomended the progressive ins policy. Good Sam is in a big push to write RV policies, but I got more of a song and a dance when i tried to get them to Quote my 2012 Keystone Alpine 3600RS camper. The person that I was talking to was more interested in setting me up for a sale than doing a quote..
About Progressive, i have vanishing deductible and new replacement on my unit. I hope to never have to use it, but at 50.19 per month on that unit, I see it as verry affordable.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
JDT

A lot depends on what you want out of your policy. Generally, if you simply add it to your existing house and auto policy it will be the cheapest way to go. Not sure if they are all the same but our house and auto carriers did not offer replacement or agreed value clauses if you have a total loss. The value would be based on book value at the time of the loss, which could be a whole lot less than what you have in or owe on it. I did not want to take that chance with the investment, if you can call it that, we have in ours. We went with Progressive and have full replacement value plus other things specific for an rv. Costs more but makes me sleep better.

We had a repair policy on a previous motorhome and never again. Was a fight to get them to pay anything and finally just gave up trying to use it.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
A lot depends on what you want out of your policy. Generally, if you simply add it to your existing house and auto policy it will be the cheapest way to go. Not sure if they are all the same but our house and auto carriers did not offer replacement or agreed value clauses if you have a total loss. The value would be based on book value at the time of the loss, which could be a whole lot less than what you have in or owe on it. I did not want to take that chance with the investment, if you can call it that, we have in ours. We went with Progressive and have full replacement value plus other things specific for an rv. Costs more but makes me sleep better.

We had a repair policy on a previous motorhome and never again. Was a fight to get them to pay anything and finally just gave up trying to use it.
That is probably why they gave you such a hassle-so you would give up.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
That is probably why they gave you such a hassle-so you would give up.
You are exactly right. We did pretty good with them on a few issues at first but when we got close to recouping the cost of the policy the hassles started. By then I was so weary of the cost of owning and maintaining a diesel pusher motorhome it did not take much for me to give up and sell it.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #7

RV insurance

These are the people I use, no smoke, mirrors or anything else

Steve Manville
Business Development Manager

Local: 403-271-7831
Toll Free: 1-866-771-7831
Fax: 403-225-0515
steve@rvdirectinsurance.com
#100, 10325 Bonaventure Dr SE Calgary, AB. T2J 7E4
Scout1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

Insurance also depends on if you full-time in your rig or not. We have had State Farm for many years, and have our 5er insured with them. However, when we go full time, we will have to find another insurance company - at this time State Farm does not insure full-time use of an RV.

Extended Warranty - my experience with an extended warranty for a vehicle is most of the time it is a big hassle. Generally you need to have authorization before the repair is completed, and they might not pay as much as the shop is charging - so you have to make up the difference. Also, sometimes they don't cover diagnosis time. I have heard many complaints from people who have extended warranty coverage on their RV. I have also heard many people who are thankful they had the extended warranty when their rig required major repair.

If you can afford to self-insure, then don't buy this insurance.

Jim

Tags
5th wheel, insurance