Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

Interested in Buying 2014 Trade In

I have Never bought any RV. We were interested in toy hauler or fifth wheel a couple of years ago when I joined this site but didn't end up buying. I am now looking at 2014 Heartland Gateway 3200RS. How much depreciation should be factored in?
A 2014 Heartland Gateway 3200RS was recently traded in. I asked why the original owner didn't want it anymore and was told they decided they wanted a toy hauler (so the dealer says).
What should I look for in price reduction, depreciation. I found some "new" gateways online almost as cheap as they are asking for used....they want $38,869. They said original warranty is voided when sold to new customer. Is that True or False?
They say an extended service contract runs from $2700 to $3500. Is that a good/correct figure for extended service package? What should I look for in ext serv pkg?
What kind of bargaining tools do I bring up negotiating a good price?
I told them if I added their lower extended warranty price to their used gateway price I could get new fifth wheel for about $706 more, why would I buy used? The response I received tonight was theirs has "more features" which I will check out tomorrow to see if that's true. Any guidance, help in buying used fifth wheel appreciated.
Also feedback on Heartland Gateways 3200RS or other Gateways welcomed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #2

I would start by comparing the features between new and used for sure. I have new heard of the remaining factory warranty (if any) not being transferable, I think they just want to get a few more bucks out of you for the extended warranty (service package). Before you by that, investigate the installed components and appliances own manufacturer's warranty, these are independent of the coach manufacturer's warranty, and these are also the things that would likely fail. So ask to see all the documentation that will be provided with the coach (you usually get a whole stack of papers and manuals of everything used to build the coach). IMHO most warranty's are not worth the paper they are written on. The other things to look for on the extended warranty (service package) are: what is covered and for how long, do you have to bring it back to them (the dealer) for service or will it be honored anywhere, if you do not end up using any warranty then is there any portion that is refundable and if so how do you go about collecting it (usually a very small window of opportunity, we have only ever found this out by reading the entire policy and making a phone call or two, the dealers will not openly talk about this, and yes we have collected on the refundable amount in the past), is your extended warranty transferable (in the event you end up selling it before it expires).

Personally, if they are not willing to budge on price and for $706 more, I would just go for brand spankin new and ever work on that price too.

Sorry, I don't know anything on the Heartland Gateway, hopefully someone else chimes in on that for you.

All the best

Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #3

Most new units can be bought for +/-25% off sticker, keep that in mind, especially with no trade. I don't have an opinion on the Heartland, but I think the dealer sounds like one I would not deal with.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who and where is the dealer?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 AM   #5

The dealer is ExploreUSA RV. They ended up at $38,000 and came down on 3 yr extended service warranty from $3500 to $2400. Is that good? They are located in Kyle Tx. The warranty company is Xtra Ride. Anybody ever deal with this warranty company or dealer? If so good or bad?
Thanks for the responses!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Most new units can be bought for +/-25% off sticker, keep that in mind, especially with no trade. I don't have an opinion on the Heartland, but I think the dealer sounds like one I would not deal with.
Joe
Do you mean the MSRP sticker or the sticker the dealer is listing?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Who and where is the dealer?
The dealer is ExploreUSA RV. They ended up at $38,000 and came down on 3 yr extended service warranty from $3500 to $2400. Is that good? They are located in Kyle Tx. The warranty company is Xtra Ride. Anybody ever deal with this warranty company or dealer? If so good or bad?
Thanks for the responses!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #8

The dealer is ExploreUSA RV in Kyle Tx.
I researched prices for new 2014 Gateway 3200RS and found 2 from their own dealership at $43,598 and $43,700. These were in different cities but same dealership. They listed the "used" 2014 3200RS at $42,900. I asked them why the "used" at such small reduction. Their response was it was in near new condition. Only thing I found was tiny scuff on wood at floor in kitchen and what looked like water mark by sink and 2 of the 4 chairs for kitchen table missing. They said they were checking and repairing water leak. Thought it was just from previous owner sitting dishes on the sink. They came down to $38,000and reduced 3 yr extended service pkg from Xtra Ride from $3500 to $2400. Is this good or not? has anyone ever heard of XtraRide extended service pkg...good or bad experience. After I received their "final offer" of $38,000 I checked the links of the 2 new 2014's and they were no longer available.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would make every effort to talk to the previous owner. You can be sure they took a beating when they traded a basically "new" unit in. Try to find out from them if the change to a Toy Hauler was their true motivation.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #10

That's still high on that service policy. I know of one that can be had for about $2400 for 7yrs at that trailer sale price. Xtra Ride is fine, but not for that price and 3yr.
I would not settle for new in this case for such a small reduction.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Extended warranties can be good and bad.

On a trailer I wouldn't get one as there isn't that much that can go wrong.

I don't know anything about the dealer.

Have you ever done any RVing? If not I'd suggest renting one for a week or two.

How many RV's have you looked at? I'd suggest looking at as many as you can and going to some RV shows.

What vehicle are you going to tow it with?
Old 06-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Is not ExploeUSA RV one of those tourist rental place that takes orders for visitor all over the world. In other words this is a rental unit and probably used like a rental unit, in other words driven the H out of and returned not careing what shape it is in. Check it out where it has been and how many times it has left the yard.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #13

No it is NOT a rental place.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I would make every effort to talk to the previous owner. You can be sure they took a beating when they traded a basically "new" unit in. Try to find out from them if the change to a Toy Hauler was their true motivation.
How do you find out who previous owner is?

The dealership said they checked it thoroughly and its good to go. I have it written in email small water stain not caused by pipe leaking. They are fixing scuff.
Should I hire independent qualified ? to come check it out? If so how do you find someone?

I went to heartlandrvs.com.
This dealer is listed as their authorized Heartland dealer in my area. That should be a good sign. Right?