Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #15

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Looks like he's a new by, probably thinks leaving the valves open is correct. You might try to strike up a conversation and avert him having a problem.
I second this one. We all learned when we where new and it was the seasoned RV'ers that kept me from making serious mistakes. Got a buddy been full timing for years and he still sometimes asks me why I do it that way when xx is easier. The valve issue would not just be his issue but the parks & future Rv'ers in that sight. I suspect vsheetz is dead on, a new owner. Still a strange valve arrangement.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #16

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeldale View Post
It'll be interesting when the hose fills with solids and then he needs to empty it. Not a situation I'd want to be in.
I believe that this is a classic "double up" situation...

IE: Stay "up hill & up wind"
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
I'm currently parked next to a "Monte Carlo Platinum Edition Signature Series Limited" 42-foot 5th wheel. Appears to be quite new. This is my view out the kitchen window. This sewer connection rides about 4-inches above the ground. Flimsy would not adequately describe the construction. And they've got all the valves open (for the past 2 weeks) feeding into about 25-feet of hose that goes up about 8-inches to the ground connection at the end.
Those 5ths are almost park models.

Did you check the mfg web site to see if what you are seeing is a modification?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #18

Jayco Owners Club
That doesn't look like a factory setup. I think someone is trying to modified it for some reason.
djnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I think it is a factory set up,it has the sticker that says sewer connection right above it.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
I would guess that this is more of a park model and as such it has no holding tanks. So they have to choice but to leave the valves open otherwise they would flood their unit. I seen one on Rv Trader.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...arlo-120097510

If you look at the pictures you will see the toilet is a residential crapper with a water tank for flushing it.

This is just my opinion
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #21

Maybe air shocks are dumped, do trailers have those?
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #22

OK, I found a similar trailer FS here: 2013 Recreation By Design Monte Carlo Platinum Edition 45' Fifth Wheel for sale by owner in Wichita, KS

They do have holding tanks and that's definitely the factory setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Rec by Design.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	166906  
Old 06-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #23

Those valves that are open are an add-on - I've seen them advertised and I'll try to dig it up and post it.. I bet if you ask the owner you'll find that the actual release handles are elsewhere and are quite closed.
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #24

http://www.campingworld.com/category/sewer-valves/1363

It's supposed to stop dribble of the normal valve that gathers between it and the cap... to prevent nasty surprises at the dump station.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #25

Or maybe not on the holding tanks. The advert says only 'sewer outlet'. The manufacturer website says 2 holding tanks.

The FS unit does have a residential toilet with a water tank. So if that is the case, and there is no holding tank, I still don't see how there would be enough pressure from the toilet tank to drain everything through the 25-foot hose snaked along the ground and up to the ground connection. There is a reason why there are minimum slopes on drain pipes in houses.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyaiks View Post

Those valves that are open are an add-on - I've seen them advertised and I'll try to dig it up and post it.. I bet if you ask the owner you'll find that the actual release handles are elsewhere and are quite closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyaiks View Post

RV Sewer Valve, Backflow Valve, Sewer Valve - Camping World

It's supposed to stop dribble of the normal valve that gathers between it and the cap... to prevent nasty surprises at the dump station.
With all due respect, they most certainly do NOT look like twist add-ons that you are referring to.

Twist Add-On RV Sewer Valves

All three valves are glued on permanently direct from the factory. There is one large Black tank valve and two Grey tank valves which is quite common in 5ver's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #27

My 42' 5er has three tanks (as they mostly do) and it does not look look like that, nor did any of the others we looked at. They hide their crappy work, they don't make it visibly obvious. That is an obvious diy job - or the worst rv company ever.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:13 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pretty sure the solids are still in the tank piling up so that the toilet won't be able to drain at some point. Tell him to put an RV tech on speed dial!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote