Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #1

Interior step alterations....need ideas!

We have a new 2010 Keystone 'Cougar'. Haven't taken it out on the road yet. One problem I have found is the interior stairs up to the bedroom/bathroom. There are two of them and they are each steep and I'm really going to have to have them altered....any suggestions how to do it? I've already fallen twice and we haven't even got out of the driveway!!! We did not get the 5ver locally so I can't go back to the dealer. I am handicaped...not easy to walk...and stairs are a real problem. Please see my pic on my Blog....http://homesweethomerv.blogspot.com/. Would appreciate any advice...recommendations, etc. Thanks so much *Tricia*

NWlambear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please see my pic on my Blog....[URL
http://homesweethomerv.blogspot.com/[/URL].
Your blog is only open to invited users, so I can't see your picture. Anthony

lanwangeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #3

most fivers the interior steps are no steaper than the exterior steps. How do you manage those?
I feel sorry for you, but all I can really say is that maybe you should have thought of that before purchase, not after. No matter what RV you look at except maybe a smaller non slide travel trailer you will encounter the same problems.
Without looking at the layout it is impossible to make even the simplest of suggestions on how to resolve your dilemma. Maybe there is enough room in the basement to remake the steps from two to three steps and make them go father into the bath room area. Of course there is then the problem of people falling down the steps.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #4

Not sure this will work for you, but instead of going down facing the steps, try going down sideways. This should also give you a stronger handhold/stablity using the door jam.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The interior steps on our new Carriage are much less steep than the exterior steps. However there are "handrails" for the exterior steps.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #6

Thumbs up Inside stairs safety in RV....

Hi! Yeah...that's actually what I try to do now. Until we get some additional handrails installed, I use the shelf (where the tv is for some support. The outside steps are steep...but I have a really good handbar to grab and I actually use my arms to pull as I stepup....a lot like I do when I'm confronted with getting on an airplane on the tarmat with steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick&Cheryl View Post
Not sure this will work for you, but instead of going down facing the steps, try going down sideways. This should also give you a stronger handhold/stablity using the door jam.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #7

Making inside step safer in 5ver...

Hi...think I changed my blog so you can view it...and the pic of my problem stairs...
*Tricia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwangeek View Post
Your blog is only open to invited users, so I can't see your picture. Anthony
Old 09-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #8

Red face Making interior stairs safer...

Actually we did consider the stairs....in addition to limits on what we want to and can pull, weight, etc. The interior stairs on a larger 5ver were better....but again we had to stay 30-33' long tops! The outside stairs are steep....but very sturdy and there is a great grab bar for safety going up and down. The interior stairs are just a challenge and we will resolve that! Please don't feel sorry for me.....like I said its just a "challenge". Travel safe!!! *Tricia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
most fivers the interior steps are no steaper than the exterior steps. How do you manage those?
I feel sorry for you, but all I can really say is that maybe you should have thought of that before purchase, not after. No matter what RV you look at except maybe a smaller non slide travel trailer you will encounter the same problems.
Without looking at the layout it is impossible to make even the simplest of suggestions on how to resolve your dilemma. Maybe there is enough room in the basement to remake the steps from two to three steps and make them go father into the bath room area. Of course there is then the problem of people falling down the steps.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #9

A good carpenter should be able to build you the steps you need and install a handrail. Ask for a name of one from a local lumber yard. It should be no problem at all and not overly expensive. Finding a matching carpet to cover three steps instead of two might be a bigger problem.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Tricia,
I agree that the steps are very steep. My knees give me problems when I go up and down the steps of my RV. Here's what I did. I replaced the outside steps with the Quadra step unit in the link below. It was one of the best modification that I did. The rise is smaller and there are four steps. Secondly, I modified the inside steps by adding a step at the bottom with a shorter rise. It can be moved if it blocks opening a cabinet. I just built a framed box and covered it with similar carpet. I then added a 2 X 10" step to the second step (old bottom step), thereby shortening that rise. Others have simply rebuilt the steps. It is easy to do. I also added a grab handle next to the inside steps. I would include a picture but I just sold the RV. I kept the steps as they were not attached and will use them for the next RV I purchase. I included a link for an electric lift for the outside of an RV.

Quadra Step <u> Best Selling RV Step </u>by Elkhart Tool and Die

http://www.discountramps.com/electri...t-platform.htm
Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #11

Just a thought but since you want the one factory step higher I would not remove it but build a new step that would cover it and make the new front step if that makes sense. Let me try this description. The new front step you want make it lower but as wide as you need it then make the new “second” step to cover the factory step and use it anchor and support the new steps. It might be hard to find the exact carpet but I am sure you will be able to find something close or use a different covering if carpet give you trouble.

Paul
Old 09-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #12

Making interior RV steps safer...

GREAT!! DH is checking out the websites....probably will replace the exterior stairs (3 steps) with the 4 step version. And the interior steps???.....you totally got it....what I was invisioning. Thanks so much!! Its good to have feedback. I'll post followup pics when we have completed the project. *Tricia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
Tricia,
I agree that the steps are very steep. My knees give me problems when I go up and down the steps of my RV. Here's what I did. I replaced the outside steps with the Quadra step unit in the link below. It was one of the best modification that I did. The rise is smaller and there are four steps. Secondly, I modified the inside steps by adding a step at the bottom with a shorter rise. It can be moved if it blocks opening a cabinet. I just built a framed box and covered it with similar carpet. I then added a 2 X 10" step to the second step (old bottom step), thereby shortening that rise. Others have simply rebuilt the steps. It is easy to do. I also added a grab handle next to the inside steps. I would include a picture but I just sold the RV. I kept the steps as they were not attached and will use them for the next RV I purchase. I included a link for an electric lift for the outside of an RV.

Quadra Step <u> Best Selling RV Step </u>by Elkhart Tool and Die

RV Mobility Access | Electric RV Lift Platform
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #13

Making interior rv steps safer...

Absolutely....that's what I was thinking!! I'm going to use a different carpet to cover the revised steps--probably that coordinates (something lighter--as another member suggested) with the color(s) of the factory installed carpet. Visually it will help as a reminder...like HEY "stairs here"...lol. Told DH I also want the new "first--new--step" covered with the same lighter carpet. The new first step would also be moveable (if necessary). Thanks for your thoughts...really appreciate it. Travel safe! *Tricia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
Just a thought but since you want the one factory step higher I would not remove it but build a new step that would cover it and make the new front step if that makes sense. Let me try this description.

The new front step you want make it lower but as wide as you need it then make the new “second” step to cover the factory step and use it anchor and support the new steps.

It might be hard to find the exact carpet but I am sure you will be able to find something close or use a different covering if carpet give you trouble.

Paul
Old 05-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWlambear View Post
Absolutely....that's what I was thinking!! I'm going to use a different carpet to cover the revised steps--probably that coordinates (something lighter--as another member suggested) with the color(s) of the factory installed carpet. Visually it will help as a reminder...like HEY "stairs here"...lol. Told DH I also want the new "first--new--step" covered with the same lighter carpet. The new first step would also be moveable (if necessary). Thanks for your thoughts...really appreciate it. Travel safe! *Tricia*
Does anyone have a picture of the interior steps that have been modified from 2 steps to 3 steps. I am trying to get my husband to do ours but he either doesn't want to do it or he really doesn't understand it can be done and others have done it. Please help. thanks

Tags
handicapped