Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #29

You guys are making this confusing and it's not. Cat has an inverter/charger, I have the same coach and same equipment (Magna Sine 2012). The charger is a just charger, it's only function is to charge the batteries, it does not convert AC to 12v to run any 12v equipment. The inverter is an inverter, it changes 12v to AC to power certain AC appliances. These newer rigs have apparently done away with converters, maybe due to so much 12v power available in the six batteries. We have had a couple of pull behind trailers, they each had one 12v deep cycle battery and a charger/converter. They needed the converter to power all the 12v appliances because it only had one battery, it's not necessary in these coaches.

Targaboat, if anybody is "unknowledgeable" and "confused," it's you partner, the rest of us have broken the code.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Anyone who makes an issue that there is a difference between inverters and converters can not define the difference between the two except one can produce more DC amperage. Ok, then when does a converter become a charger?

One battery in an auto will put out a couple of hundred amps during cranking and that is plenty of power to run anything in any RV that uses 12v. So all you are really arguing about is that, as far I am aware, one company has decided to call their battery maintainer a charger. You know nothing about the technical difference and that is not being knowledgeable.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Anyone who makes an issue that there is a difference between inverters and converters can not define the difference between the two except one can produce more DC amperage. Ok, then when does a converter become a charger?

One battery in an auto will put out a couple of hundred amps during cranking and that is plenty of power to run anything in any RV that uses 12v. So all you are really arguing about is that, as far I am aware, one company has decided to call their battery maintainer a charger. You know nothing about the technical difference and that is not being knowledgeable.
First paragraph: I already defined what inverters do and what converters do, it's in my other post. The above comment makes no sense at all.

Second paragraph: This comment, like most of your previous comments, does not compute. You certainly know nothing about what I know and don't know, however, we know from your posts that you like to come across as an authority, but actually know very little and refuse to acknowledge when others have stated the facts.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hoover, No, I am not an authority on much of anything anymore. My only points it to use the correct terms relative to technological issues. However, I am sure that who every read any these missiles will not be confused by using the terms charger and converter interchangeably. Have yourself a cold one.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Have yourself a cold one.
Wilco...you too.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #34

How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?
:
:
:
1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

Another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a light bulb forum.

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.

5 People to post pics of their own light bulbs.

15 People to post "I can't see S$%^!" and their own light bulbs.

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 moderator to lock the light bulb thread.

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #35
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by millwright View Post
The correct name for the box must be a converter. The problem all along is that I do not have nor can I find on the world wide web an owners manual for this trailer. I am shooting blind when it comes to trouble shooting and just having the correct knowledge on how to operate this trailer. Thanks for the help so far.
It would be good if you took a photo of what you do have and get a model number. Most of us would have come across it.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #36
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Good one HandyBob! Well said!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went back and re-read the original post.. I will say this:

1: I do not know if he has an inverter/converter or straight converter, Many posts up thread answer.. But thaat was not his question

He had two questions: I will take them in REVERSE order

First (To answer) Does a battery need to be installed: IF you are talking about a trailer with electric brakes YES a battery MUST be installed it is, in fact, the LAW.. Why? Because the break-a-way feature of the brakes, which brings the trailer to one screeching stop should it come free of the tow vehicle, Needs that battery and needs it charged in order to engage the brakes.. Else, Depends on your converter but likely not.

Second: is it normal for it to sound like it is coming on and off?

NO, IN fact the converter, or inverter, shoudl run 100% silent.. HOWEVER.... There is a moving part.. Yes PART (singular) and that does make noise. It is a cooling fan.

Thermostatically controlled it will come on and off as needed.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
How did that darn charger get into the thread.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know.. Unless it's because many Inverters are also converter/chargers.

I know my comments apply to Inverters, Converters, and "Dual function" units like my Prosine.