Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
I'll post the opposite of what everyone else did. I'm usually on the other side of the fence on all things to do with RV Forums but counterpoints are productive too no?

Last fall we sold our 40' 5ver toyhauler and ordered a 44.5' 5ver hauler. With the last one we NEVER got into trouble anywhere. Got gas anywhere we liked and found a spot in every campground we wanted to go to. We went back roads, townie gas stations, state parks... everything. Did over 10k miles through the northeast and Canada. Picked up our new bigger rig and all seems the same. Bottom line is it's all based on the end user. I guess some other people would have trouble doing what we've done but I've done it without issue. Many of these questions on the forums can really only be answered by the person asking. Everyone's comfort level, confidence, and driving skill is different. I've seen so many people on RV forums blindly take advice by others who may or may not have the same resources as the person asking the question.
Couldn't agree more. Our last 5'er was just under 44' and we never had any issues. Get what you like and are comfortable with, anything else is just be part of the adventure.
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #30

Taken - you fueled up when the arrangement of the pumps made you pull in to face the store? I find that normal arrangement of pumps impossible to get a 5th wheel into and out off without unhitching and repositioning the truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Taken - you fueled up when the arrangement of the pumps made you pull in to face the store? I find that normal arrangement of pumps impossible to get a 5th wheel into and out off without unhitching and repositioning the truck.
Yes, I've had to do that and then back out but not often. My favorite was the only pump for diesel behind the store next to the kerosene pump up by Lake Champlain on a busy vacation weekend. Must have been there just for the farmers and locals. I was on 0 miles to empty according to my computer for about 10 miles at that point so had to go for it. And, I was towing alone so no one to guide me back out. Hey, I don't sweat it though. I just take my time and do what I have to do. I'm in no hurry as I'm on vacation after all...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #32

We previously had a 33ish foot 5th wheel. We now have 39ish foot 5th wheel with 3 axles. I find it is easier to back. I do have to be careful of back swing. It is more on a longer camper. Never had a problem with campground.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
We previously had a 33ish foot 5th wheel. We now have 39ish foot 5th wheel with 3 axles. I find it is easier to back. I do have to be careful of back swing. It is more on a longer camper. Never had a problem with campground.
I've had to back out many times in the past. My wife stands back there scaring away anybody too close. However, now with the 70 gal underbed fuel tank, when I disconnect for the evening I take the truck to the nearest station. Fueling with the 5ver connected is a thing of the past.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:50 PM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Noticed the comments from some with the Toy Haulers. They are also a challenge, especially if you have large toys, "Harley". Backing into the sites isn't bad but having the room behind to drop the ramp, let alone get unloaded, is a challenge. Sometimes, will pull into the site and then be able to open ramp into the drive for a short time to unload. Also, if doing that, all your hook ups are on the wrong side and end.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
Noticed the comments from some with the Toy Haulers. They are also a challenge, especially if you have large toys, "Harley". Backing into the sites isn't bad but having the room behind to drop the ramp, let alone get unloaded, is a challenge. Sometimes, will pull into the site and then be able to open ramp into the drive for a short time to unload. Also, if doing that, all your hook ups are on the wrong side and end.
Actually, most of us just unload before backing in if the depth of the site is a problem. Really easy actually.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
Run into this issue as I load and unload my wheelchair through the ramp. Have to be aware of ramp length added to 33' TT.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I only have a 30' unit but, with a CCLB truck and I am a little over 47' overall length. I don't see how you guys are over 60' overall length unless your trailers are over 40', more like 44'. We are full timers and have all the amenities that the longer trailers have, except a washer and dryer. My living room slide is extra deep at 54" and 16' long so we don't loose much interior space at 354 sq ft we have as much living space as some of the 35 and 36' models. What I have found in our travels, is that if the parks advertise big rig friendly, that the sites are long enough for the 40' units, but that doesn't mean that the roads and trees will give you enough room to maneuver.
To the OP, I would suggest that you get the floorplan that DW likes and you will learn to maneuver it where you need to get. Figuring to get a DWR TV iright from the start is a wise decision, you will be very happy with that pick.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Actually, most of us just unload before backing in if the depth of the site is a problem. Really easy actually.

Me too. Pull up, unload the toys, then back in.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Our 5er is 43' and the truck is 24. Hooked up we are about 60'.

Have only had to unhook once and jacknife hookup to get out of a site. Have been in some pretty tight spots but always with the help of a spotter.

Our son is trying to teach me to use the signals they use at the fire department. It works good in theory but as soon as I get into the truck my mind goes blank. Need a bit more practice.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
We have a 40 foot Cedar Creek 5er. It was the first camper that we bought and learned to tow. Learned to back in when we brought it home the first time, (we have a church parking lot across from our driveway and live in a rural area). Now it is a piece of cake especially because we got some walkie talkies and Sara can tell me what the rear end of the camper is doing. We have never had a problem in any campground so far.

As for a front living room, they are pretty fancy and look great. They are good if you are going to have several couples visit at the same time or you have a bunch of kids who are all going to watch the TV. We find that most of the time it is just the two of us who watch the TV and maybe another couple. A front living room takes up a lot of space that is used for a closet in the nose and larger bathroom area. You also have to think about getting into the bathroom when the slides are in and you need to use it on the road.

We love the room and would have a hard time going to a smaller unit. Buy the 40 footer and get used to backing up in a church parking lot or the parking lot of your local fairground. Just remember that if you put your hands on the wheel at the 6 o'clock position, the camper goes in the direction that you turn the wheel when backing.
Rebkitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #41

Yes 40' is too long that is why ours is 39'-6"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote