Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How safe is a safe: Good question, there is no safe that can not be opened by a determined person. However most thieves are "hit and runners" and won't be wanting to lug one with them

you can also use a 'hidden compartment' type safe for small items.. For example I've seen a wall outlet, only it's not an outlet, with the right tool you can pull it out and get at whatever is in the cup behind it.

A "tin" (Can with removable lid) in the cubbord or fridge, or several "hidden safe" devices that look like a pop can or a quart of oil or such are out there. Most are rather good but again if the thieve knows where to look, not that much.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #16

We have a safe that we also use as a table between the recliners. We keep the titles, birth cert, passports, gun, etc. It weighs about 80 lbs so if they can haul it away guess they can have it. That stuff is replaceable, other posters are right, few rv's are broken into while camping, mostly in storage yards and sometimes while being serviced.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #17

We don't full time, so we might have a different attitude. My position is that I don't carry anything worth stealing. We don't have anything worth stealing at home either. We have a window sticker that says "There's nowt here worth pinching".

Our TV's are old 4:3 CRT types (at least 15 years old). Our computers are at least 5 years old and our music entertainment system (which probably hasn't been turned on for two years) is so old that a burglar would probably feel sorry for us and leave a newer one. It may even be steam powered!

We don't have any "i-anythings". We had to have a four hour seminar with our grandkids when we changed our cell phone service, and we didn't get a smart phone (and we only got ONE!). We switched from Virgin Mobile to Verizon because VM, who re-sell Sprint, had such rotten coverage. We were at a CG only 7 miles from Bellingham and had no coverage.

Incidentally, if all the people involved in a meeting are female, should it be called an "ovular"?

During my time as a transit bus driver, I became aware of a company in Sedro-Woolley, WA, called "Truck Safe". They make custom safes for all kinds of vehicles. If you want a particularly clever one, they may be a good outfit to talk to.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #18

I don't fulltime (yet) but, I travel for a living -often with my fifth wheel. Keeping my valuables and personal protection safe is paramount (and required), for me.

I use products from a few suppliers. Two of which are Console Vault and Pacsafe. Both companies have a great assortment of products that have proven invaluable me.

If safe and secure storage of valuables is important to you, I might suggest that you surf to Corporate Travel Safety's site and take a look. Great people to work with. Good prices, fast shipping and wonderful customer service.

These are non-solicited endorsements, usual disclaimers apply. Take what you want and leave the rest.
01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #19

Buy a small fire proof safe box and put it in the oven. No one will look in the oven for anything. Just make sure to take it out if you do use the oven... I don't have that problem though....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpatine View Post
DRV's come with a floor safe standard. It has enough room for our paper work we need in paper form (passports, birth certificates, etc) and not scanned plus room for my "persuader". I don't keep the "persuasion pills" with it though, those are in a locked drawer. Don't ever think anyone will break in though, mom & pop been doing this for 50 years and never had a problem.
A gun that is locked up and unloaded is commonly called a rock. The bad guys love them because they know you can't get to them in time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Buy a small fire proof safe box and put it in the oven. No one will look in the oven for anything. Just make sure to take it out if you do use the oven... I don't have that problem though....
We don't have an oven as we have a microwave/convection unit.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
How safe is a safe: Good question, there is no safe that can not be opened by a determined person. However most thieves are "hit and runners" and won't be wanting to lug one with them

you can also use a 'hidden compartment' type safe for small items.. For example I've seen a wall outlet, only it's not an outlet, with the right tool you can pull it out and get at whatever is in the cup behind it.

A "tin" (Can with removable lid) in the cubbord or fridge, or several "hidden safe" devices that look like a pop can or a quart of oil or such are out there. Most are rather good but again if the thieve knows where to look, not that much.
When my parents traveled into Mexico they stuck money in the Tupperware flour/sugar bins. They gave us the bins (still full) and while going through them we found $400.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have a small safe from Harbor Freight that I received as a Christmas gift a few years back. I also have a handgun safe right beside the drivers seat.
Forgot: I also have a small handgun safe in the towed, it's cable locked around the seat bracket and uses one of the high security barrel keys. I ordered mine from the NRA but there others like it available many other places.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01zeosix View Post
I don't fulltime (yet) but, I travel for a living -often with my fifth wheel. Keeping my valuables and personal protection safe is paramount (and required), for me.

I use products from a few suppliers. Two of which are Console Vault and Pacsafe. Both companies have a great assortment of products that have proven invaluable me.

If safe and secure storage of valuables is important to you, I might suggest that you surf to Corporate Travel Safety's site and take a look. Great people to work with. Good prices, fast shipping and wonderful customer service.

These are non-solicited endorsements, usual disclaimers apply. Take what you want and leave the rest.
Outstanding referral websites, I really appreciate it!
ashmoreg is offline   Reply With Quote