Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is a Safe really Safe?

I am looking for recommendations on securing valuables in a 5th wheel, things like jewelry, laptops, guns and important documents. I was considering installing a medium size gun safe but it will take up valuable closet space and add weight and I am not sure it is even needed.

As we are new to the RVing world and will be a full-timer we will have these things with us all the time and would like some peace of mind, but I do not know how safe the camping world environment is generally and don’t know how secure the RV unit doors, windows and locks are. Is theft a common problem in parks and campground?

So, get the safe and be safe or stop overreacting?
ashmoreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmoreg View Post
I am looking for recommendations on securing valuables in a 5th wheel, things like jewelry, laptops, guns and important documents. I was considering installing a medium size gun safe but it will take up valuable closet space and add weight and I am not sure it is even needed.

As we are new to the RVing world and will be a full-timer we will have these things with us all the time and would like some peace of mind, but I do not know how safe the camping world environment is generally and don’t know how secure the RV unit doors, windows and locks are. Is theft a common problem in parks and campground?

So, get the safe and be safe or stop overreacting?
I've pretty well had the same thoughts as I always carry some of my guns with me when out in the RV and a 6 inch stack of personal files when we are away for more than a weekend trip. Have been using a Wally World/ Sterilite plastic file box for the papers and hiding the guns in different location. Planing on getting a file box size safe that is reasonalbly fireproof rated that for the future . At least it will make it more difficult to steal.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Welcome. I too am interested in answers.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #4

I have one in my coach, and it comes in real handy for things you want to keep safe while you're away (jewelry, cash, important papers). Just make sure it's securely bolted to the floor so some big bad guy can't carry it away.
Oldkarphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are some very good hiding places in an RV but you have to be creative. I don't like having something like a safe that say's " theres something good in here". Just look around. You will find a good hiding spot !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've never had anything stolen form my MH or site in CG. Not sure about boon docking in a remote area where others aren't around watching. Doesn't mean it won't happen.

I have purchased a small fireproof safe that will hold cash, jewelry and one hand gun.

Bought more for peace of mind rather than in response to an issue.

Will be bolting it down to the floor of the rear closet with a back up plate underneath.

I have a 40' DP so not concerned with the added weight.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a small safe from Harbor Freight that I received as a Christmas gift a few years back. I also have a handgun safe right beside the drivers seat.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ours has 2 safes one is well hidden and the other is in the closet for easier access. As for gun I do not keep it in the safe. By the time I got it open I would not need the gun. Have never had a problem with theft any place we have been but when out in remote areas the gun makes me feel better. You be the Judge!!

Edit: By the way the Judge does a number on ratters as well when needed. I guess there is more than one kind of snake.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #9

About 35 years and I have never had anything stolen from my RV or campsite. We do lock the RV, however I often do not lock the storage compartments. We often leave chairs, BBQs outside, bikes are usually locked but with light weight chains and locks.
My friend had their ENTIRE MH stolen while they were at the beach in Florida. They had nothing but their swimsuits. The theft made the papers when a wonderful policeman put the family up for the evening until family could send credit cards, money and clothing.
RV's are not real secure, and you can only protect them from less than totally honest people, you will not keep out a determined crook.
Personally, I make things as difficult as posible. Individual locks on items that need to be locked. Hidden money and passport. And we don't travel with anything so valuable it cannot be replace.....with the exception of the grandkids.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #10

safe

My xplorer came with a floor safe, it took me a week to figure out the combination to it, it's pretty secure both above and below the floor line, plus it has a washer/dryer on it now, but not large enough for guns, I also have a small push button safe for documents like passports and important paperwork. I have built in a secret compartment for the guns though. as for someone stealing my RV I hid a switch for the diesel cut off solenoid. and have a motion activated alarm and a receiver that I carry. But is it safe...probably not to the seasoned thief.
xplorer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
Ours has 2 safes one is well hidden and the other is in the closet for easier access. As for gun I do not keep it in the safe. By the time I got it open I would not need the gun. Have never had a problem with theft any place we have been but when out in remote areas the gun makes me feel better. You be the Judge!!

Edit: By the way the Judge does a number on rattlers as well when needed. I guess there is more than one kind of snake.
That's why I like the gun safe I have right between the drivers seat and the wall so it's hidden from anyone looking in from the window or door. Unlocked, all it takes is pushing on two buttons and it opens, It's sized so small child sized hands can't open it and the buttons are small and hard to find unless you know they are there but when locked it's locked. When it opens the butt of the gun is right at hand. Right now I have a .45 auto in it but may put my Taurus Judge Public Defender in it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am extremely impressed with the information and opinions you all shared with me and I really appreciate it. As a new guy to both RVing and blogging forums it is invaluable to be able to tap into such a wealth of collective knowledge and experience as I see listed in these pages. I sincerely hope I can in return, pass on valued information as I discover the best options and decisions in experiencing the true American dream of freedom on the road. God Bless the U.S.A!
ashmoreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #13

I dont know what kind of rig you have but on my 5er I have a strong box under the overhang. I welded up a 1/4 steel plate box with heavy duty hinges welded in place and a case hardened lock. I open the lock and pull down the box and store anything that will fit. It's about 24x24x6 and is totally enclosed under the overhang surrounded by 6by2 boxed steel joists with a 1/4 inch steel top. I can not see how, outside of a cutting torch, to get into it without the key from either inside or outside.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #14

DRV's come with a floor safe standard. It has enough room for our paper work we need in paper form (passports, birth certificates, etc) and not scanned plus room for my "persuader". I don't keep the "persuasion pills" with it though, those are in a locked drawer. Don't ever think anyone will break in though, mom & pop been doing this for 50 years and never had a problem.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote