Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #15

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
By the by, if anyone is in the Denver area, I have a bi-pod (tripod with two legs) that I will not be using any longer since the strongarms are in place and I would be happy to pass it on - gratis.

Tim
WHAT.....no free shipping?????
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I never used one in our 38rdqs designer, but have 2 friends that have front living rooms in their FW and you can tell the difference.
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:58 AM   #17

One came with our Avion Platinum, tried it and then gave it away! Did nothing but take up room.

I noticed someone using a tripod with a TrailAire air bag kingpin. Didn't have the heart to tell him it was doing very little.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #18

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
One came with our Avion Platinum, tried it and then gave it away! Did nothing but take up room.

I noticed someone using a tripod with a TrailAire air bag kingpin. Didn't have the heart to tell him it was doing very little.
Just as long as he was happy with it...
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
I too used one a long time ago and found it useless. I used the Plug-it-rite stabilizer (similar to the JT) and it worked better but now use the hydraulic leveling system and have no movement.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #20

I think it really depends on several things.
How much do you RV? Some folks who only go out occasionally or are weekend warriors don't seem to mind some interior movement
Those how go out from 3 months to fulltiming seem to feel differently about movement. We have been fulltiming for 18 years in our 38' Carriage. It also depends on length, the longer overhang you have at the rear, the more "wiggle" you have. For years we used a Bi Pod. Dutch even added rear electric arm jacks. While they helped some they really didn't take care of the movement for me.
We have been using our permanently installed stabilizers for 9 years now and "Mamma" is happy so everybody is happy. This is what works for us. Hugs, Di
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #21

Tripod Stabilizer

We've use the tripod stabilizer and find it very effective stabilizing the forward portion of the RV. Our is the aluminum model from Campers World which is a bit lighter and worth the slightly added cost. Easy to deploy and take down. For us this has been a very worthwhile addition. As far as we are concerned this item was a value added purchase. We are considering adding a stabilizer bar system and have seen these deployed successfully. We do need to address the back half of the RV and will likely add a rear stabilizer system in the near future.
captainchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
By the by, if anyone is in the Denver area, I have a bi-pod (tripod with two legs) that I will not be using any longer since the strongarms are in place and I would be happy to pass it on - gratis.

Tim
What...no takers? It's free!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Makes a lot more comfortable rig if you are going to be in one place over a few days. I don't bother with it if I am on the move every day. Shop around a little and you might pick up a good used one. Some guys are going to the new auto leveling system which more stable and don't use the "tripod" as much.
Paul
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #24

I have not used mine since I built my own landing gear stabilizers. That did more to stop movement than anything else I have tried.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #25

Absolutely Yes - Stops the bounce in the Front. We use ours when we are going to be setup for a few days. Storage is not an issue as our Alfa has a lot of basement room
ozleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #26

FWIW I just purchased 2 sets of the BAL Lock-arm bar kits for $143 delivered off ebay. That's a great price and will surely help our 26' 5er on our 6 week trip this summer.
khodgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
There is no motion with the auto leveling system when it is configured to take some of the load off the tires but not completely. The only vibration is when the washer goes into the spin mode but that does not last long. No movement with walking around etc.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:17 AM   #28

I too found out the tripod made little difference. I guess I expect some movement and it doesn't bother me. I gave mine away about year ago. They are heavy and nasty to stow. I use the angle BAL stabilizers at the rear which helps immensely. The front jacks are pretty solid in all directions. If you are using a scissor jack on the rear, it can move 360. The angle stabilizers are much more efficient for reducing side to side movement at the rear.
Bob