Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to RoryTek
Those with auto-levelers, how stable is the rig? I don't have but I do have Hanscom stabilizers and once I lock those puppies my rig is rock solid. I would rather have a solid rig than give auto's and a rocky rig!.

R-
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #30

Auto level or not, hydraulic jacks are the way to go. I never use the auto level feature - manual is quicker and easier - but I wouldn't go without the hydraulic system.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryTek View Post
Those with auto-levelers, how stable is the rig? I don't have but I do have Hanscom stabilizers and once I lock those puppies my rig is rock solid. I would rather have a solid rig than give auto's and a rocky rig!.

R-
We went from a 5er with electric landing gear and JT stabilizers front and back to a 5er with 6 pt auto level. The 6 pt autolevel was not as stable as the prior with JTs, but for us, I would never go back to manual.

For convenience, there was no comparison - if you are stationary - no concerns about jacks and you can go to jack stands and blocks direct to frame, but for camping, the automatics were fantastic. I was more inclined to pick a site without water or sewer because it was so easy to move and go get water.

Some of the guys with 6 pt were actually adding JTs to their hydraulic jacks. They said it took what little wobble they had out, but I never tried it.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #32

The 6 point hydraulic auto level and a couple of other features to me were required when we purchased our 2016 34RL Cedar Creek. My DW loves the 6-point auto level feature on this trailer, she say's the trailer is rock solid when I walk in the trailer. With our 2010 Cougar she would say the trailer rocked like a boat when I walked in the trailer. She said the rocking motion in the Cougar would make her sea sick sometimes; not with the 34RL Cedar Creek.

One of the things that I found out with the 6point auto level is that you need to keep the hydraulic rams short and not fully extended. When they are fully extend you will get some motion in the trailer. So I place blocking under all six legs keeping them some what retracted and less of a moment arm for motion.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #33

I have auto level on my Cougar FW, love it. It has the additional feature of returning the hitch pin to the height you disconnected the truck from the trailer. Making reconnecting a lot faster. You also can select manual to operate the jacks indepenently if you wish to.
Jseverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #34

Must have.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #35

I have Lippert 6 point jacks on mine. Would not buy another trailer without them. We had some movement in the trailer so I installed steadyfast stabilizers on it and they took out 95% of the movement. They are permanently attached and all you do is loosen 3 wing nuts when operating the jacks. Then tighten them when level. I never use blocking under them unless they run out of stroke on very unlevel ground.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #36

I use four of these with my six point level up, for a total of ten points of ground contact, not including the tires. Pretty darn solid now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	82
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	139897  
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling