Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
Is my truck enough for this 5th wheel

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD crew cab with long bed and 6.0 V8 with 4.10 rear end. The fifth wheel is 27 feet with 1660 hitch weight and UVW of 8500#. The cargo capacity of trailer is listed at 5000#. The chevy manual lists towing at 10K and max GCWR at 16K#. I will have a reese 16K hitch installed and do not plan on loading for long trips etc. I need someones experience with such and please spare me the math lessons. thanks in advance. jim w.

Shotgunjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
It will do it, but the weak point will be in the engine. The HD has a towing limit close to the 3500. If you will be in the hills, it will take all that your engine has.

Openroad3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Tow capacity equals GCWR minus weight of the tow vehicle when ready to tow...do the numbers. As a suggestion, do not use the UVW for computing the numbers, you will travel closer to GVWR than the UVW...nobody travels with and empty trailer.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
I used to have a ford 3500 diesel dually crew cab with a tow rating of 9500lbs. and was pulling a 5th wheel weighing 14500lbs. yes i was way over weight but it pulled ok except for steep hills and had no problems.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
What Cat320 says. I'll add that you should weight your truck ready to tow (if you don't have a 5th wheel hitch installed, add 150# for that). Ready to tow means a full tank of fuel, all the people, pets and gear you take. Go to a truck stop and weigh it. Then do the math using the trailers GVWR and the trucks GVWR (for pin weight) as well as GCWR (for trailer weight). You find that most of us will exceed GVWR before we exceed GCWR.

I'm sure your truck will pull it but you need to also be concerned about stopping it, especially if you are going down a steep grade. Additionally, will your insurance back you in the case of an accident. Insurance companies nowadays look for any reason to walk away from a claim, and being overweight gives them one sure fire excuse to leave ya hanging.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Jim, In short, Yes it will tow it. They are VERY CORRECT that breaking is just as important as is pulling ability. My 2 cents is that if you are going to travel just short distances( under 400 miles one way), and only use it a couple times a year, sure use the gasser.
But if you are planning on any long trips then upgrade to a Diesel. The Diesels are built for pulling, and will last you longer because of that. Your milage will be better in the long run when you are towing. and a Diesel driveline is generally built heavier to handle the torque that a diesel produces, meaning that it will handle more heat,and last longer under loaded conditions.
fastbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
I used to have a ford 3500 diesel dually crew cab with a tow rating of 9500lbs. and was pulling a 5th wheel weighing 14500lbs. yes i was way over weight but it pulled ok except for steep hills and had no problems.
Is it a 6.9 non-turbo?

9500 seems kind of light for a 1 ton dually to me.

My E350 7.3 van was rated to tow 9500 pounds with the 3.55 rear, and MORE with the 4.1 rear end, and that was with SRW.

Diesel torque and gasser torque are worlds apart even if the hp rating is the same.

I now tow w/ a dually 5.9 Cummins dually and it would leave my 7.3 Powerstroke in the dust (probably because of the 3.55 gearing), but the Ford never let me down.
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
I ended up getting a lighter 5er at 7800lbs and made first trip this weekend and was pleased with old chevy pulling it at 55 to 60mph and only hill was Miss river bridge. Got 10 mpg and truly like the way the 5er handled. thanks for advice. jim w
Shotgunjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #9

We have recently purchased a Crusader 270 RET, its weight is 7740# dry and we pull it with the same 2500 HD Ext. Cab. Short Bed 6.0 LS1 Engine that we pull our 2003 30' FIS Sunnybrook T/T that weighs 7780#. The truck seems to pull just great and with over thrity trips under our belt with the T/T, we are looking forward to our adventure next year to Canada and Alaska. The truck has been maintained to perfection and is regularly checked for worn parts and any found are repalced. The unit has currently 150K on the clock and we plan on putting at least 10K on it later next year...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB120001.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	18415  

LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote