Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Is this a motorhome forum or what???

Anybody else feel this community is heavy on motorhome and cheap travel trailer users?? Let's here more from the fifth wheel community!
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Remember that most of the systems used in any RV are common to other types and manufacturers and a lot of us have experience with them over the years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Let's here more from the fifth wheel community!
Just maybe the 5th wheel owners, have moved up from TTs and don't need as much help to deal with their problems . Just saying.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Or perhaps the MH users have moved up from 20 years experience with TTs and 10 years with 5vers...still learn a lot, and greatly appreciate, all the sharing...
Old 05-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And... I have spent the past 18 months on the road full time and am amazed at how few people I meet have even heard of iRV2...

It may be a big part of some of our lives, and 10k members may be a large number, but relative to the overall RVing population it's a drop in the bucket.

Mr. D is on to something too... some folks seem to be so brand loyal - proud - or whatever - that they believe the toilet in their unit doesn't flush the same as everyone elses. It's a toilet brand - model question - not a Coach / 5er brand - model question.

I'm just glad it's here for us, we're here for each other, etc.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #6

Yes ........as a fairly new member here at IRV2 there does seem to be MORE threads about/by/for MHs.

Birds of a feather flock together............

More problems with MHs............

Less 5vr owners are members..........

Never having owned a MH I am learning the differences in various systems and find it interesting.

But 'they' (TT, 5rv, MH, TC etc.) are all basically 'shoeboxes' with the same basic components which all have similar issues so I think we can ALL learn and participate.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know what to say! Talk to your 5er friends. Post more. You are all welcome.
I had a 5er for a few years, but have moved on.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:20 AM   #8

I have noticed on two of three rv forums I belong to MH issues dominate the posts. The one forum not dominated by that type of post is Dutchmen's forum for obvious reasons. I am certainly not trying to start a flame war or insult anyone since it is obvious that MH's have systems that towed units do not have, specifically drive trains and steering. Having said that, it appears to me that a certain number of MH owners may not have as much mechanical aptitude, or interest in obtaining and using the necessary skills, as the owners of towed vehicles. Again, let me stress, that this is not meant as an insult. I do feel that many towed vehicle owners take great pride in doing virtually all of the repairs, maintenance and upgrades to their units themselves and have taken the time to learn the necessary skills to accomplish their goals. This attitude seems less prevalent among a certain segment of MH owners. It is possible that some people don't want to invest their time in working on a unit and would rather spend their time traveling or recreating and that is not only a good thing it is outstanding that they have the means to do that.

As for me, with my small cheap trailer, a good portion of the fun of owning it is doing the mods and maintenance myself. That may not be as important to some MH owners.
I've been wrong before and probably will be again.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:19 AM   #9

Most replies here are from mh users lol. I didnt know there's only 10k users on here. Mh owners seem always concerned with toads and tire pressure monitors. I can't relate )
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:02 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
I think I would say that MH are different but mostly the same as every Camper out there. Just systems are more complex. Really boils down to personal choice, something we all have until someone trys to influence it. I like. The MHs but I love my 5ers. To each his own.
birddog2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:39 AM   #11

Just a Thought

I bought an older ('98 model) MH, because I'm disabled and retired and wanted something that my wife could drive if she had to. I would love a 5'er, but it would be a day for me to get over just setting it up. Also, we plan to stay in the SE part of USA close to DRs and Kids and the MH fits better for us.
I would like to see more searches done before the questions are asked, but that is a pet peeve I have with many forums. I'm just glad RV folks are willing to freely share their knowledge and are such great folks. An example: my first trip out and my wife and I were trying to set up the big awning on the side of the MH. It was kicking our butts and after about half an hour, our neighbor in a top of the line 5'er with a diesel puller walks over and offers to help. He says he knows all about these awnings and he shows us exactly how to put it up and tells us how to take it down. Great guy and we share our stories and the next day, he is gone on down the road. RVers Rock (and not just cause I have one)!
Be safe and have fun!
steamyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Most replies here are from mh users lol. I didnt know there's only 10k users on here. Mh owners seem always concerned with toads and tire pressure monitors. I can't relate )
Why wouldn't you put a TPMS on trailer tires? I've noticed more trailers on the side of the road with flat tires than motorhomes. May just be where I roam, but I would have them if I were towing a trailer. I would have them on the tow vehicle as well.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #13

Quote:

I had 4 , 5ers , and 2 tow vehicles over 15 years of RVing , before I moved up to my current MH, and found the forums. Kind of the school of hard knocks, you don't know how many more systems there are to deal with and the complex interaction between chassis and coach electrical until you own a MH; and need more information, and come to the forums to get the info you need.
Another possibility is that many members are now of an age where we appreciate the comforts that a MH provides; ease of set up and maneuvering,etc; and along with that are retired and can spend more time tinkering on our RVs and posting about it.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #14

I guess we are backwards.... We recently went from a MH to a 5th wheel. Our class A was just too small, now we have plenty of room for us and our two Danes. The DW is happy, and I got a new pickup out of the deal !!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, motorhome