Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Is This Fifth Wheel's Frame Permanently Damaged?

I apologize in advance if this has been posted before.

What follows is a link to a video of a wrecking crew clearing a pickup truck rolled under its fifth wheel. Its pretty long, but the part that I have the question about is between 12:30 and 14:45 mark.

There does not seem to be too much damage to the FW, however, the towing crew had to put a great deal of strain IMO on the trailer frame in order to clear the pickup truck. I'm not faulting the crew at all here. Their job is to clear the wreck as quickly and safely as possible and it seems they did that.

I'm just wondering what the disposition of the FW will most likely be, as there really does not "appear" to be much damage to it. I'm not sure how I'd feel about owing it after that if the insurance company says it can be fixed and is ok to repair, given the way it had to be lifted, and the initial stress put on the frame in the accident itself. Maybe it's just me.

If you do have the time, I recommend watching the whole video its pretty interesting.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

Wow, that's a bad jacknife! No trailer brakes at all? Wonder how that all happened. Like you, I'd be wary of any vehicle that has been in a severe wreck.
Hope no bones were broken, or noses bloodied!

cruzbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #3

Truck was the boned, other than cosmetic the trailer is fine
Old 01-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'd have to take a really close look at it, but the trailer could be OK. They raised up the pin far enough that the rear bumper was on the ground. Have to look to see if the whole thing isn't sprung.

Besides that, the idiot pulling that toy hauler with a short bed single rear wheel truck sort of put themselves right into the problem.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #5

Unlike our trucks that are body on frame, trailers are similiar to unibody construction. Since the floors and walls are screwed or bolted to the frame, there could be hidden damage to the trailer body, not just the steel frame. And like unibody autos, the body helps stiffen the frame. So the entire unit, frame and body could experience accelerated aging.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #6

There was a bunch of torque on that hitch before it let go of the truck. I'd be worried that I cracked the awesome Lippert welds around the pin box area.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Good question, however, it takes nothing for insurance companies to total rigs. I bet they declare it a loss and it will be sold with a salvage title.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Wow, that's a bad jacknife! No trailer brakes at all? Wonder how that all happened. Like you, I'd be wary of any vehicle that has been in a severe wreck.
Hope no bones were broken, or noses bloodied!
Guy couldn't stop at the light that changed from green to red (supposed quick yellow) he was t boned driver back side. A case of to much trailer and not enough truck. Murphy's law was there to collect on the what if. Luckly the family in the truck where not hurt.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #9

"Can my F250 pull this FW? ... "
Old 01-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Reminds me of the "highway to hell" series (without the snow)!
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #11

"It pulled just fine", the owner said
Old 01-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #12

Trailer brakes were not set properly for that to happen if that happened at a quick stop from a red light, the trailer should have had more power going to it.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks like more truck would have been a good option, brakes notwithstanding. Brakes on the trailer can work very well to not at all depending upon their condition, the condition of the connections and the settings.

Notice that the wreckers hooked up the trailer to the tandem truck and not the single axle.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #14

I would guess the skid marks on the Hyway would tell a real good story and big part of the investigation. F250 being a margional TV for that rig ? could be. Brake adjustments, could be an issue . I question quick yellow,,,, looks like a busy intersection to have a quick yellow. I question if the agressive tire tread on the TV contributed to long stopping distance if that was the actual cause. Seems the tread would be best suited for off road use or snow traction. Just my observation. Overall this thread is a good eye opener for everybody.

CLIFFORD

Tags
fifth wheel, frame