Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Is this the normal service?

First trip out this season and the LCD display on my Lippert Level-up quit working. So, I email Lippert and get an automated response that they will address it in 24 hours. Great. Less than an hour, I get email from Lippert that Keystone must handle Waranty issues and that my problem description is being forwarded. Well, it is Friday so I don't expect anything. Come Monday afternoon still no response. At that point, I call Keystone only to find out that the rig must go to a dealer. Ok, so I call for an appointment with the local Dealer. I can take it in on Thursday and they will diagnose it on Friday. So Friday comes and goes, no sense in calling till Monday. Monday morning, I call to find out, they didn't have time to look at it.

So now it has been over a week and no one has looked at it??? This would not be soo bad but I've now had to cancel a trip and I have no clue what or how much longer this will take. With this type response, I'm starting to second think my decision on this 2013 Montana.

Is this the sort of responsive efforts you get with other companies, and dealers?
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. I would say its common , unfortunately. I wait with my RV and get better service that way cause they can't get rid of me. I understand everyone can't do that. Maybe you could post your location and get some reputable referrals.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Is it common with all companies? Well, let me tell you about a Jayco Designer XL 5th wheel we bought new in 2000. About 3 months after we took delivery, the Norcold cooling unit quit while we were on a Memorial Day trip. When we got home, we called our selling dealer on Tuesday - he said he was booked up for 6 weeks and could get to it mid-July. This wouldn't work since we had family coming down from Ohio in a few weeks and we had promised them a trip to the beach at Galveston in the 5th wheel.

At that point, I called Jayco Customer Service directly about 10:00 AM on Tuesday and explained my situation - they asked if they could call me back in a 1/2 hour after they checked around to see what they could do. At about 10:30 AM, they called back and asked if I was available to take the 5th wheel to an independent (non-Jayco) repair shop they had located that was an authorized Norcold service center. We took the 5th wheel to this shop and unhitched in their yard about 2:00 PM Tuesday.

They spent Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning running diagnostics and confirmed that the cooling unit was dead. They called Norcold who immediately prepped and shipped a replacement cooling unit Wednesday afternoon. The replacement arrived at the shop on Thursday morning - they had the fridge out on the shop floor waiting for it. They installed the cooling unit Thursday, turned on the fridge and came in Friday morning to find that it was cooling correctly. The shop called us and asked if we could pick up the 5th wheel Friday at noon; they then spent the rest of Friday morning reinstalling the fridge in the 5th wheel. We picked up the Jayco at noon, signed some Norcold warranty papers and that was that.

That was typical of my experience with Jayco customer service. I didn't have to use them but a time or two with the 3 Jaycos we owned, but they always did everything they could to make the situation right as quickly as possible.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not uncommon

I would say that your difficulty has little to do with Keystone's level of service and everything to do with the dealers. Unfortunately it's a common situation.

Be a squeeky wheel.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Commercial Member

I guess I just had to vent. Thanks to all for the responses.

First Keystone told me their system does not respond when the problem is forwarded from a vendor. If I had sent email to them first, I would have gotten an automated response and a follow-up. OK, my fault.

Unfortunately, I'm in Central Ohio, and these people are the only Keystone Service Center. So, I'll bite my tongue till the end (hopefully good). But the borthersome part was when I dropped it off on Thursday, one of the Service guys was looking for work as he had finished his work orders. My work was not scheduled till Friday and supposedly they could not get to it. Maybe because I didn't buy there. Got a better deal south of Dayton. Maybe buying local would have made more sense. Lesson learned.

Again thanks. Retired and waiting is not what I wanted to do with a new rig. Trips planned and not happy.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

Hope you have better luck than we did. We recently took ours in to have a slide room adjusted. The dealer kept it for over 30 days even knowing we were FT and needing our home back. This is not the first time with a dealer situation. I found out that the manufacturer charges less per hour to do work, is of course more knowledgeable and and thus faster. From now on we will make an appointment with the manufacturer and get anything done by them that I can't do.
AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

If your panel does not turn on I bet the breaker is tripped and needs to be reset. This happened to me but I got great response. Got a call from LCI who walked me thru where the breaker was located and how to reset.

The breaker tripped because I had the trailer plugged into just 15amp. I tripped 2 GFI's also but knew how to reset them.

My LCI leveling breakers were boxed in the storage area. I open the little door and pressed the reset and whew, heard the click as it reset.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Commercial Member

No, only the display is not working, everything else on the panel works. I can auto-level and retract to hookup, just cannot see what the display is saying. Already tried removing the 12V power, still does not display.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #9

While I was waiting for an LCI call back (got the call in under 1 hr. but did not expect it that fast) I took my display panal out to make sure nothing was loose.

I bet you tried tapping on it to see if it would flicker. Yikes - I do not know the buttons well enough to operate it w/o the display.

Since you are getting power to it I doubt there is a separate power supply just for the display. Maybe take the panel out just to check, and hope you just have a loose wire.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #10

Won't comment on your dealer, but yours is the 4th Lippert Level-Up display that I know of that has malfunctioned, mine among them. I actually haven't taken mine in yet because I don't want to tie it up for the summer.
skipperw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Well, to continue the story, the Dealer finally called to explain the Lippert said it need a new panel (I already knew that). However since Keystone must order it from Lippert before sending it out to the Dealer, she gave me the option to pick it up now and they will call when it is in. At that point I'll make another appointment and this time stay with it while they do the work.

And yes, I had already pulled the panel and checked for anything visible. My background is electronics. I also had searched for another similar complaints but didn't find anything. But it sounds like a common problem since Lippert didn't bulk at replacing it.

Stay tuned.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #12

Ugh - I guess I better get ready for the display to go out. I did find my picture of what the buttons do so I in a pinch think I can hook up or unhook...

Tags
service