Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Is this true?

I want to remove one of the bunks and the dinette in my 5er. My neighbour said I couldn't do it because I would lose the integrity of the original build....

Some of you have made these changes, can anyone tell me if this is so? She said it would be off balance and they built it this way for a reason...

Input anyone, please..............Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I have removed our dinette and placed the rear sleeper from the bunk house in its place. I then built a new bunk to replace the sleeper. I can see your neighbors point about weight changes but I wouldn't think it would be significant unless you removed every single item off of one side. I only added 25 lbs to one axle after moving all that stuff around. I think you would be safe in doing what you want to do
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pure BS IMHO.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It's your RV. Do whatever you want to with it to make it to your liking & comfort. You aren't going to impact the weight enough to make any difference. Oh, & bah humbug on your neighbor.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Is your neighbor an engineer? I assume you are talking about an upper berth that's little more than a shelf with a mattress? Just watch your weights and I'm sure the RV will hold it's shape going down the road.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks to all, I didn't think it would make a big difference, but I am wondering if her thinking is that the bunk was part of the 'frame'. I want to put a small table and chairs, and remove the top bunk to make room for a sewing machine underneath, I was also thinking of just removing half the bunk adding a door and making more storage, or something... still weighing my options.

I will just carry on and 'make it my own' (thank you NLOVNIT)
good thing I didn't mention removing the sofa and putting in a wooden futon
I have

many thanks and happy trails to all. E
Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #7

All the interior walls, cabinets,etc are built/installed, then the exterior walls are erected. The roof is placed after the walls are in place.
To me, this means, only interior walls have any bearing on structural integrity, and if one is removed, then replaced(in different spot) with another, no harm done. Trailers are not crash-tested anyway, ever seen pictures of a crashed/overturned RV trailer?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

I'd suggest that you not seek advice from your neighbor....
Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I'd suggest that you not seek advice from your neighbor....
I didn't ,it was offered free of charge after I explained my plans....
Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Pure BS IMHO.

Ken
X2 LOL
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #11

I really doubt there's load bearing walls in a TT. It's not like a house where you have trusses of different lengths. All the roof trusses are the same length in a TT. The ext walls are made as one piece. It's no more than a box on wheels. If you look at how they're made it's pretty much the same box with different interior design. Your 5'er is no different than one that doesn't have bunks or has a free standing dinette.
We removed the booth dinette in ours and put a smaller round drop leaf table in it's place. It was an option if I'd ordered the 5'er. Most RV's have optional seating, but are still constructed the same for either choice.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
I want to remove one of the bunks and the dinette in my 5er. My neighbour said I couldn't do it because I would lose the integrity of the original build.... She said it would be off balance and they built it this way for a reason...
What is her basis for making these allegations? Is she an RV design engineer?

The first contention would only be true if those furniture items were "stressed" items, meaning, they are rigidly affixed to, and provide structural support to portions of the trailer frame. Somehow, I doubt a bunk or dinette would perform those functions, although I have not seen your configuration.

The second contention, I just don't accept. Given that the entire assortment of kitchen appliances are all installed on the same wall in our 5ver, and a few light-weight furniture items are on the other side, I simply don't think these things are "balanced" to that degree of accuracy.

My $ .02, FWIW.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
I didn't ,it was offered free of charge after I explained my plans....
It was worth LESS than you paid for it! LOL
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It depends on how it was built.. Generally the shell is built, the body framed in and the bunk added.

But, I can see where it would be a part of the build.

So you need to be careful, If it is bolted in with a few flimsy brackets (corner braces type thing. and capable of being set aside, Go ahead and remove it. If it is strongly bolted, nailed, glued,, might not be a good idea.

Now the dinette.. If you have one, is never the kind of thing you can not remove.. It is an "option" in fact.