Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #15

I owned a 06 GMC 2500 6.0 (basically the same truck different name) Same engine as in question. At the time I had a 26ft ALJO light 6500 lbs dry weight the 6.0 had problems pulling it. Traded the truck for a 09 1500 GMC 5.3 and was absolutely amazed how well it pulled the trailer compared to the bigger truck. I talked to a lot of people that own the newer 6.0 and they say they are still gutless and and no good for towing in the power department plus the mpg is horrible even mt.
Jimitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #16

The big difference you noticed was all in the cam... Beginning in '07 GM began fitting the LS based engines with VVT. The ability to roll the cam back for bottom end grunt or roll it forward for big end scream makes a dramatic difference across the spectrum. Compare the old straight up crammed 6.0 to the VVT 6.0 and you'd see a lots of difference.

Big gas with VVT was a prerequisite in my last truck trade so I have the 6.2 OHC WITH VVT. I wish it was 3 steps further, DOHC, each cam individually variable and 4 valves.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #17

I think the truck can do it, albeit at near the limits. What will be the biggest issue is the engine's lack of power. If you can live with slow on hills and poor mpg, it can work. They should upgrade trans and engine cooling capacity. Why many suggest a 1-ton and diesel is the additional chassis load ratings, bigger brakes, better cooling, more torque and just overall a better match for the combo.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
The big difference you noticed was all in the cam... Beginning in '07 GM began fitting the LS based engines with VVT. The ability to roll the cam back for bottom end grunt or roll it forward for big end scream makes a dramatic difference across the spectrum. Compare the old straight up crammed 6.0 to the VVT 6.0 and you'd see a lots of difference.

Big gas with VVT was a prerequisite in my last truck trade so I have the 6.2 OHC WITH VVT. I wish it was 3 steps further, DOHC, each cam individually variable and 4 valves.
Got rid of my old 6.0. A few friends have the newer 6.0 2-2011 1-2012, they say they get about 11 mpg mt and the truck is still gutless. One of the 2011 owner's likes his truck anyways based on looks and ride the other 2 guys say they regret getting the 6.0.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #19

[QUOTE=2500HD;2590040]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinc2011 View Post

Reconsider trying to pull that much with a GM product

You do know GM makes diesels and DRW trucks that go toe to toe with everything Ram and Ford makes right? His gas truck may be marginal but that doesn't mean all GM trucks are incapable of pulling a heavy trailer.

Any of the big 3 make fine trucks these days and GM consistently has for the past 12 or so years.
Sorry to offend, but the original poster was asking about a GASOLINE 6.0 GM truck. I merely stated my own experience with that same drivetrain! GM does cheat people on their Diesel trucks as well. In my area, you cannot buy a GM truck without a $3,000.00 upcharge above the already inflated sticker price on the truck. I looked at the Ocean Lakes Campground last week as we were riding through the campsites. In the large Fifth wheel areas, 9 of 10 were being pulled by Ram trucks, when you got smaller, there weree as many Toyota trucks as there were Chevrolet trucks, with a few fords thrown in as well.. The most notable was a F550 with a toter bed on it, was tail dragging with a camper that was lighter than mine! First trip and the Ram got better fuel mileage with the heavier Triology than with a lighter Alpine, due to the wind not getting in between the truck and camper due to the nose design. Cutting back the camper cap helps out the short bed trucks, but causes drag for the trucks with an 8 ft bed.