Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Iso 9001:2015

Which RV manufacturers (if any) have an ISO 9001:2015 Certification?

Which ones have a Quality Management System in place that has information available to the customer?

I've received an email from Grand Design that says they are 9001:2015 Certified...any others?

Also just had a phone call from Forest River Cedar Creek sales manager that says they are not.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
By what I have seen on factory tour not many are ISO. Sure wish they would embrace it because by what I have seen they certainly would benefit by it. Unfortunately I don’t think they will since the sales are so strong and they will only see it as costing them money and slowing them down when the the fact is the opposite is true.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

I don't know that I put much stock in ISO certifications. We have audits all the time at work. We clean up and get everything ready for the auditors then after the audit most things revert back.
Often times the auditors ask for changes that are completely worthless and have nothing to do with the product.

And just because they do have an ISO cert doesn't mean they aren't using MDF or OSB that will fall apart if it gets wet.

Our friends are buying a Grand design imagine 2400BH right now. Brand new. Kitchen cabinets are all warped. They think due to moisture from humidity. Always run a dehumidifier! And get a trailer made with real wood instead of the fake materials.

My opinion is that Forest River and Keystone are the worst brands. Most are just ok. I would say Grand Design is the best of the "ok" brands. Northwood is the best. Horizon and spacecraft are quality too.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I don't know that I put much stock in ISO certifications. We have audits all the time at work. We clean up and get everything ready for the auditors then after the audit most things revert back.
Often times the auditors ask for changes that are completely worthless and have nothing to do with the product.

And just because they do have an ISO cert doesn't mean they aren't using MDF or OSB that will fall apart if it gets wet.

Our friends are buying a Grand design imagine 2400BH right now. Brand new. Kitchen cabinets are all warped. They think due to moisture from humidity. Always run a dehumidifier! And get a trailer made with real wood instead of the fake materials.

My opinion is that Forest River and Keystone are the worst brands. Most are just ok. I would say Grand Design is the best of the "ok" brands. Northwood is the best. Horizon and spacecraft are quality too.
I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the value of having a Quality Management System in place and having an outside independent audit firm evaluate how well you measure up to the Quality standards. It's much deeper then sweeping up the floor before they arrive. Any manufacturer is going to have complaints, but if they have a QMS system in place they have to answer those complaints, maintain records and statistics on those and all of that has to go to top management. If a company didn't care about that why would they even bother to go through the hoops. I place more value on a company with a QMS system that one without one.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the value of having a Quality Management System in place and having an outside independent audit firm evaluate how well you measure up to the Quality standards. It's much deeper then sweeping up the floor before they arrive. Any manufacturer is going to have complaints, but if they have a QMS system in place they have to answer those complaints, maintain records and statistics on those and all of that has to go to top management. If a company didn't care about that why would they even bother to go through the hoops. I place more value on a company with a QMS system that one without one.
I don't disagree. I'm just saying it's not a guarantee. Or a company lacking it doesn't necessarily mean they don't have solid quality systems in place.

I've seen some pretty shady practices. Faked paper trails. If documents are missing we just back date them and say "found them!" Most of the audits have been a joke.
The biggest complaints from auditors hasn't been about documentation but rather super frivolous cosmetic things. That's where most of our time and money has gone. We have to have numerous certifications because our customers require it. Otherwise we wouldn't bother.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Just called Northwood and who ever I spoke with said he had no clue what ISO 9001:2015 is. Not that they don't have a QMS system in place, it just answer my question about who does and does not.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

The nice thing about outdoors rv is they are a small company. When I need to contact someone over warranty work I can go straight to the person who makes the decision rather than some low level person who doesn't know anything.
Last time he asked for some pics, I sent them and repairs were authorized before the shop even looked at it. Process took about 15 minutes for a couple of emails with pics. He said once I get it to the shop have them contact him and he'll tell them what to do.

I have a light over my dump valves. The clear cover popped off the light. I must have hit something with it. My fault. I emailed outdoors rv asking for a part number so I could order the cover and instead they just sent the entire light assembly free of charge. No drama. Quick and easy.

It's been a good experience.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It is true the a Quality System is only as good as the management team and what they believe in. Speaking personally, I believed very strongly in the ISO quality system when I had my medical device co. It was the backbone of almost everything we did and I believe that along with great people, it was key to the businesses success and rapid growth without one end user reject or complaint ever. The first big player to truly embrace ISO will enjoy much higher customer satisfaction, profitability and growth.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
It is true the a Quality System is only as good as the management team and what they believe in. Speaking personally, I believed very strongly in the ISO quality system when I had my medical device co. It was the backbone of almost everything we did and I believe that along with great people, it was key to the businesses success and rapid growth without one end user reject or complaint ever. The first big player to truly embrace ISO will enjoy much higher customer satisfaction, profitability and growth.
Amen. I have been a part of a committed management organization that understood that quality is vital to sustain your business. The market may be floating all boats right now, but the companies with the best quality will still be floating when the tide goes out.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Amen. I have been a part of a committed management organization that understood that quality is vital to sustain your business. The market may be floating all boats right now, but the companies with the best quality will still be floating when the tide goes out.

Very true. We always had the opportunity for more work than we could handle and to your point, when the market was slow and others were starving we continued to be busy. Our competitors had a hard believing that we were busy in slow times. Some just never figure it out
Old 03-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #11

I don't care how good the management system is. If the MFG doesn't build a quality product then who cars how the run management?
GD uses some inferior products and build ideas.
I've been reading on the GD owners forum since it was started. I've seen way more issues across the board than any Northwood or Outdoors RV has. GD uses MDF for cabinets and OSB in their trailers. Both products inferior to plywood or solid wood.
I suggest to the OP that you spend a month on the GD owners forums reading about the many problems they have. I'm by no means saying they all have problems since many are very happy. But the ISO??? seems to have no effect on quality.
I also read many other brand forums and they ALL have problems. I have no idea which ones have adopted the ISO???.
If you're looking for the Holy Grail of MFG's then you should maybe think about just staying in BnB's or Hotels. None regardless of management ideas builds the perfect RV.

Words for thought. When GD started their company they knew 100% that there was no way with the current labor force and materials available that they could build the better RV. So they decided to offer the best customer service bar none. Yes they do have a great CS department. So much for ISO.
Good luck in your search.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Just called Northwood and who ever I spoke with said he had no clue what ISO 9001:2015 is. Not that they don't have a QMS system in place, it just answer my question about who does and does not.

I feel your pain, after several decades working in the aerospace industry.
You might want to just skip purchasing an RV. Perhaps shop for a lightly used, previously owned aircraft?
Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I wasn't really looking to debate the merits of ISO....just asking if anyone knew which manufacturers have one. Again, it means something to me, but it's not the only thing that matters. All things being equal, I'd go with a company that has an established ISO Quality Management System in place.

I'll take the slightly used airplane under consideration. Are they built any better?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #14

ISO 9001:2015 is the new version replacing 9001:2008
If you are ISO certified you have until September 2018 to upgrade
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote