Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #15

You get what you pay for in this situation.
More weight
Much better quality.

Better resell later on.

Again.
You get what you pay for.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I did a Jayco factory tour and witnessed the Eagle being built two years ago. Let's just say....their welders that weld the wall frames have no idea how to weld aluminum. Burn it - sure. Glob some wire on it - Yep. Actually weld a seam - Nope, not at all. Looking at their welds, I saw about 25% that actually were a complete weld that penetrated the aluminum without burning holes in it.
This is a big reason why I don’t just jump into what ‘looks nice’. Manufacturers reputations play the biggest roles in my decisions regarding things like RVs. All about that quantity over quality thing that rules in the RV biz unfortunately.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
You get what you pay for in this situation.
More weight
Much better quality.

Better resell later on.

Again.
You get what you pay for.
Agreed. This is a big purchase for us so I’m looking at all the angles.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #18

Buy the AF ! Like comparing a Caddy to a VW.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #19

Buy a used quality rig over a new lesser one.

Every eagle I have ever been in felt cheep and poorly constructed. Like slide trim molding with large gaps screws exposed or missing the mark all together.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:57 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
The wife and I have been doing a LOT of discussing on this subject and have decided we are going to see about pursuing the used diesel pusher route instead of a 5th wheel. For where we are at in life and what we like to do, a pusher gives us the options whereas a 5th wheel travel trailer only allows us to do one thing, camp. Nothing wrong with just camping but we do more than that and we don't just post up someplace for a period of time. I like to take my Jeep off-roading and being able to bring that with me is a big bonus. Yeah I like the simplicity and substantially less expensive cost-per-mile of the 5th wheel but oh well. And I just can't see myself settling for the Jayco when I know the quality and reputation of Northwood products. At least with a used DP (02-06 era) the quality seems very solid, most of the depreciation as already occurred and it seems like we can get a lot of rig for our budget.

Thank you everyone for your input. I can tell you that if/when we do go 5th wheel route, it will most likely be an Arctic Fox.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
The wife and I have been doing a LOT of discussing on this subject and have decided we are going to see about pursuing the used diesel pusher route instead of a 5th wheel. For where we are at in life and what we like to do, a pusher gives us the options whereas a 5th wheel travel trailer only allows us to do one thing, camp. Nothing wrong with just camping but we do more than that and we don't just post up someplace for a period of time. I like to take my Jeep off-roading and being able to bring that with me is a big bonus. Yeah I like the simplicity and substantially less expensive cost-per-mile of the 5th wheel but oh well. And I just can't see myself settling for the Jayco when I know the quality and reputation of Northwood products. At least with a used DP (02-06 era) the quality seems very solid, most of the depreciation as already occurred and it seems like we can get a lot of rig for our budget.

Thank you everyone for your input. I can tell you that if/when we do go 5th wheel route, it will most likely be an Arctic Fox.
Same place we're at....our fiver and any replacement requires a dually, and that limits any off road adventures. We're in the market for a DP as well.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #22

John, Good luck with your DP. We went that route after we found a really nice American Eagle for a very good price. What we found was we loved traveling with it but just couldn't justify the high cost of maintaining it. I'm pretty handy, but there was virtually nothing I could do myself. Way too many systems to go wrong. We've ended up with an AF and tow our Jeep behind. The states we travel in are legal for that combo and we've had no problems so far. Most of our traveling is from Montana to Arizona and back. We've gone thru over 20 various RV combos over the years and I'm still looking for the perfect one. Please post if you find it!
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:58 AM   #23

I know the OP is going the DP route but there is ONE really good reason to buy Arctic Fox and that's the Frame. No Lippert junk frame to contend with, AF designs and makes their own frames which are considered off-road rugged. Above the frame are the usual appliances, furniture, lights, etc so there always be the same problems with those. The box of the RV will have heavier materials which accounts for the weight, just a more solid and better quality box. I only wish AF had more dealers east of the Mississippi.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:18 AM   #24

Do what your gut tells you to do.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #25

Just forget the Jayco Eagle it is a lower end of the brand. AF without a doubt !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #26

Well I will help with the push to the Arctic Fox, as it is the same 5er we are looking at as our next.
Here are some numbers to help.

2019 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK Specs
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 10,710#
Dry Hitch Weight 2,150#
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 12,995#
Cargo Carrying Capacity 2,285#
Measurements
Exterior Travel Length (Pin box to bumper)36' 1"
Total Exterior Length 36' 11"

2019 Arctic Fox 29-5K Specs
Specifications:
Dry Axle Weight (approx.): 9,448#
Dry Hitch Weight (approx.): 2,921#
Net Carrying Capacity: 3,731#
Gross Dry Weight – 12,369#
Gross Vehicle Weight 16,100#
Exterior Length 35’2″
Exterior Height 13’4″
Exterior Width 8’6″

So what I see as the important numbers.

Dry weight the AF is 1,659# heaver, frame, materials??
PAYLOAD 1,446# advantage to AF!
We have a smaller 5er Keystone Copper Canyon (32') with a payload of 2,540# and we use every once of it, so the Jayco is a little short on payload for it's size.

Just be done with it and get something like this to carry and tow it.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ElCaminoManT, it's interesting that no one so far has mentioned the sister comparitive company to Arctic Fix, also owned by Northwood. Made in the same town in Oregon too, just down the road, but 2 separate businesses. I speak of ORV (Outdoors RV) who maintain the same quality that you like in Arctic Fox, but slightly less fanciness. Quality of construction, specific-model frames made locally, all-round better than just about anything except AF.

We too went through the same concern that you are mentioning. We considered the AF but didn't need or want to pay for the RV to be so doggone plush, plus didn't need a full-size 2 door fridge etc. Our first criteria was to get the best quality we could afford and thus went with a Glacier Peak 5th-wheel from ORV. Please do yourself a favor if you haven't already looked at ORV's line.
Cheers
Glen
Calgary Alberta
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #28

If I had the truck to pull an Arctic Fox I wouldn't be buying a Cedar Creek. AF is hands down far superior to anything else Indiana has to offer.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote