Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Just a thought but if still in doubt you might try calling the manufacture of your RV to ask about the proper procedure for that specific unit.
Bob
That would make sense...and ask them where you can find their answer in writing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintnut View Post
Workshop,
Great pics and explanation. I see you have some square blocks in your storage box. What are these and what size? I assume they are for under the jacks when on soft ground. Where did you find the compact 12 ton jack? Any other items I will need to change tire? Lug tools, Torque wrench? I have a Newmar Kountry Star at about 14,000# Thanks in advance.
Sprintnut

Here are several additional photo as it might shorten the post.

The square blocks are 3/8" plywood that are 7.5" sq....and are used to place under the jacks if necessary. They were that size to fit into my last storage compartment and seems to be the right size for the box. Could be larger if one wants, but the last time I had to use it on the side of the road, I had no problem with support. I painted them a gloss black, because it made cleaning the dirt off easier. The 'roll' is a thin vinyl tarp maybe 4x6 to use while laying on the ground under the unit to position the jack or pull the spare tire out. Still end up getting dirty...just not as bad.

The 12 Ton jack is from Harbor Freight. Got on sale for 'bout $35 ???? if I remember correct. If I had to only carry one jack, I would carry it. As the weight is only 13.5# and the 6 ton is 10# and taller....it's a no brainer. Now as space and weight isn't much of a problem, will carry both and having the stand and other items in one location in the truck and not additional weight in the 5'ers compartment is a plus. It's weight is 43.6# the way it's packed.

I carry one 'triangle' reflector in the box and one in the truck behind the back seat. Also there, I carry two cones which will compact to 1 inch. I sometimes tow around a 16 ft enclosed trailer for various reasons...so somewhat have a little of something...

This photo is the tool box I use in the 5'er. It's an old "roll film canister" cabinet I found. Has deep drawers and a low height which is good for my storage compartments. The only bad thing....it allows me to carry more tools than one should be allowed to carry.

To change tires, I use a 3/4" socket set and have an 18" and 30" breaker bars when needed. I also carry a torque wrench and the larger socket in the lower left corner is a socket for the nut on the spindle...when torquing after a bearing repack. And yes I do carry an extra set of bearings and races and items to repack the bearings and do minor brake repairs if needed.

The bad thing about having been an "In-Flight Tech" in the Navy is the want or need to always carry more tools and 'repair' items' than is needed.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
Here are several additional photo as it might shorten the post.

The square blocks are 3/8" plywood that are 7.5" sq....and are used to place under the jacks if necessary. They were that size to fit into my last storage compartment and seems to be the right size for the box. Could be larger if one wants, but the last time I had to use it on the side of the road, I had no problem with support. I painted them a gloss black, because it made cleaning the dirt off easier. The 'roll' is a thin vinyl tarp maybe 4x6 to use while laying on the ground under the unit to position the jack or pull the spare tire out. Still end up getting dirty...just not as bad.

The 12 Ton jack is from Harbor Freight. Got on sale for 'bout $35 ???? if I remember correct. If I had to only carry one jack, I would carry it. As the weight is only 13.5# and the 6 ton is 10# and taller....it's a no brainer. Now as space and weight isn't much of a problem, will carry both and having the stand and other items in one location in the truck and not additional weight in the 5'ers compartment is a plus. It's weight is 43.6# the way it's packed.

I carry one 'triangle' reflector in the box and one in the truck behind the back seat. Also there, I carry two cones which will compact to 1 inch. I sometimes tow around a 16 ft enclosed trailer for various reasons...so somewhat have a little of something...

This photo is the tool box I use in the 5'er. It's an old "roll film canister" cabinet I found. Has deep drawers and a low height which is good for my storage compartments. The only bad thing....it allows me to carry more tools than one should be allowed to carry.

To change tires, I use a 3/4" socket set and have an 18" and 30" breaker bars when needed. I also carry a torque wrench and the larger socket in the lower left corner is a socket for the nut on the spindle...when torquing after a bearing repack. And yes I do carry an extra set of bearings and races and items to repack the bearings and do minor brake repairs if needed.

The bad thing about having been an "In-Flight Tech" in the Navy is the want or need to always carry more tools and 'repair' items' than is needed.
I knew there had to be some military dicipline in there somewhere. My boy is in the US Coast Guard and does SAR resques, I was in his hanger last summer and boy do they keep their tools organized and in tip top shape. Hats off to your orginization and supplies.