Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #1

jacking 5th wheel off the ground

Hi,
I've had some tire issues with our rig and would like to do anything to help extend the life of the tires.
I've read that lifting the tires off the ground is recommended. What is the best way to safely accomplish this.
Thanks,
Ron
mb2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2go View Post
Hi,
I've had some tire issues with our rig and would like to do anything to help extend the life of the tires.
I've read that lifting the tires off the ground is recommended. What is the best way to safely accomplish this.
Thanks,
Ron
Buy a set of jack stands (rated for the weight of your rig), use a floor jack(rated for the weight of you rig). At each tire lifting point raise with floor jack to set a jack stand for that tire, and continue all the way around until they all off the ground. Then, make sure to block each tire from the sun to keep the tires from rotting (vinyl tire covers, plywood, etc.).
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Never heard that lifting the tires off the ground is recommended. I havent had tire issues due too tires being on the ground in storage since I started RV ing in the 70's
Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Waste of my time. I don't do it. There is a tire expert named Roger Marble who has a web site and sometimes posts on rv.net. Go to his web site and see what he has to say.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Larmolljr
I have used 1X8s under the tires during storage. Tire engineers have stated that the black top and concrete will have an effect on the tires long term. Also the wood will help stop pressure marks between the wheel bearings and the race . But this could be debated. Raising the unit tires off the ground would eliminate the bearing to race issue. I am more concerned about the tires than bearings as the bearings get packed every two years.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

What are the issues you've been having? Because that may not be the cause of your problems at all.
You may have alignment issues, tires that are out of date, inflation issues, and so on.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #7

Raising the trailer for long term storage has been around since we've had trailers.
This from Goodyear. Other tire makers recommendations are similar;

Storing Your Vehicle Without Removing the Tires

Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:

-Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires

-Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim - manufacturer’s inflation capacity is not exceeded

-Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level

-Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather

-Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as “flat-spotting” from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection

-Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service."

Sound like your may be using ST tires on the trailer. If you are I would upgrade to a better tire type.

Other causes is operating at to little tire pressure or jumping curbs on a regular basis getting in or out of a storage or driveway. Or a host of other reasons.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #8

In my past few 5ers I have randomly jacked the tires off of the ground and blocked the axle . In those times I was parking under my storage shed. So I made blocks that fit tightly under the spring /axle plate near the wheel then released the air from the tire allowing the rv to lower on the block . It really hadnt saved anything in my opinion.
But I felt better .. And when I would tinker on the rv it doesnt move as much or rock inside .
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #9

One thing to remember is that tires on RVs should be replaced approximately every 5 years from the manufacture date, no matter what the tread looks like. You probably already knew that
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
One thing to remember is that tires on RVs should be replaced approximately every 5 years from the manufacture date, no matter what the tread looks like. You probably already knew that
I thought you get a new RV every 5 years...so you always have newer tires...
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel