Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

We are planning on buying a new 5th wheel a 42' 2 " jayco 387rdfs was wondering if any of you have pulled one this long and how did it handle, we have had a couple of 5th wheels but none this long, will be pulling with a new f250 6.2. Thanks

cleon cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Sounds like a really nice trailer. You may be a little over on the payload with the F-250, but maybe not because you have a gas motor.

That size trailer will be at the limits of what a gas truck will tow. Some will tell you to sell the truck and get a diesel or buy a smaller lighter trailer because it may just roll backwards when it sees a hill. I would not hesitate to that trailer with a newer gas motor and the 6speed trans.

2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS Fiberglass sides. Golf cart
06' Chevy CC Dually 6.0. 20k hitch NO w/d bars. 16" wheels & LT TIRES
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like you need a bigger truck. We pulled a 43' toy hauler (GVWR 18,000) with a F450. Total weight of the unit was 28,000 +/- when loaded.

Don't let folks tell you everything will be fine. Look at the numbers and make an objective decision based on being safe. The life you save could be yours, your families or some one you have yet to meet.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #4
I'm SORRY! I thought you said a 33' TH. Without knowing what the trailer weighs (I'm guessing 16k +) your biggest issue may be rear axle weight on the truck with an F-250. You really won't know until you get all of your weight ratings on the truck and factor in the GVW of the trailer. A 3/4 TON never has enough legal payload for a trailer that size.

At 43' I would have a DRW and you surely need a Diesel or a Ford V10. I would even consider a HDT depending on were you will travel.
2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS Fiberglass sides. Golf cart
06' Chevy CC Dually 6.0. 20k hitch NO w/d bars. 16" wheels & LT TIRES
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally, 37-42 feet, they handle fine. Watch the factory tires, although with 3 axles you should be OK on load.

They're slow to turn (of course) and you may be out of luck at many camping spots if you've got to park 42' of RV + truck...

I like Jayco - I've owned the brand before. You do know they were just bought by Thor?
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
Good luck with that. Not sure what gears you have in your truck. If it's the 3.73s then the trailer is about 1k lbs over the max trailer weight when it's completely unloaded. Every lb of stuff/water/people/etc you put in the truck or trailer just puts you deeper and deeper into that hole.

I couldn't find payload capacity for your truck, but I'd bet you are under water from the very start there as well. Load the trailer up and it gets even worse.

thst trailer really needs a dually one ton pulling it. My guess is you'll be buying a new truck or trailer before too long.
ResidentEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I would not attempt to pull a 42' Jayco trailer with anything less than a 1 ton diesel dually. What is the GVWr on that trailer....17,000# plus. It will have a pin weight when loaded of better than 3400#.

You will not be happy pulling that much trailer with a gas engined 3/4 ton truck.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
Don't know the specs of your truck, but that camper has a dry pin weight of just over 2600 lbs. The gross weight shouldn't be a problem but I bet you will run out of payload before you finish loading camper and truck. I was researching 3/4 tons for the campers we wanted and found out that even the brand new ones had only enough payload for just the pin weight only and nothing else. So my next vehicle will probably be a 1 ton srw for the extra payload.

Aaron, Erica and Lizzy and Abby the Labs.
2001 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually Diesel
5ver TBA
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote