Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Jayco 31.5 FBHS vs. Cougar 322QB

We have looked at several 5ers and keep coming back to this floor plan of the Jayco 31.5 FBHS (2013). I tend to like Jayco and Cougar. However when I comare a smilar Cougar (322QB 2011), i feel that the Jayco quality is missing in this model-mainly on the interiour finishes. The sliding doors are a cheap looking laminate, the bunks feel cheaply made and the mattresses are thin. When you look at the intersior of drawers-there is a lot of splinter mess around where the screws were put in. I am wondering if this is because this is a lower end 5er or if I have just found a bad example? I've been looking on the internet to see if there were any improvements on the interior finishes, but so far haven't found much info. any insight would be appreciated.
Also, the Cougar has a less desirable bunk layout for my teens so contemplating removing the bottom sofa and bunk and replacing with folding "cube" type beds. Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks!
newtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I checked out the layout of your rig.....It does looks a little awkward and I can see why you might want to modify the bunk area.....Have you looked at the cougar 333mks?....My buddy had one and the oldest liked the loft area where she had some privacy from her younger sisters....He had no complaints about his rig, although its a bit bigger than the one you are looking at......As for doing a modification to the rig your considering...Absolutely...why not....just remember...measure twice, cut once.....and post pics
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #3

I looked at it but I don't see a bunk area...I wonder if you mean the 324RLB. I have looked at these online but have not seen one in person. I wonder how big that loft bed is-I have three girls-none of which would want to share a pullout sofa. Anyone have one of these layouts with the loft up top that can weigh in....guess I could always reconfigure the lower area ;-).
newtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #4

We chose a Cougar 313rli. We do not have the bunk bed need, but were sold on the great features included on the Cougar. Cherry cabinets, 40 inch TV, fireplace, dinette and 4 chairs, 2 leather rocker recliners, leather sofa bed, nice improved mattress, very nice kitchen, electric awning with LED lights, beautiful decor, tons of storage with a complete pass through storage area, one-side to the other. Should be large enough for all of our stuff. Electronic package including a small ipod like remote for awning, slides, jacks etc.
We will be camping in it for two days and will report after our initial assessment.

2014 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel 313RLI --Bill & Carol Horton
Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH347 View Post
We chose a Cougar 313rli. We do not have the bunk bed need, but were sold on the great features included on the Cougar. Cherry cabinets, 40 inch TV, fireplace, dinette and 4 chairs, 2 leather rocker recliners, leather sofa bed, nice improved mattress, very nice kitchen, electric awning with LED lights, beautiful decor, tons of storage with a complete pass through storage area, one-side to the other. Should be large enough for all of our stuff. Electronic package including a small ipod like remote for awning, slides, jacks etc.
We will be camping in it for two days and will report after our initial assessment.

Reporting back after our trial camping. All was well. Everything was tested and works well, all appliances, awning, slides, water system, refrig, microwave, fireplace, audio/video antenna lights. Had a small leak under the shower door track which the dealer will take care of. That was it no problems and we couldn't be happier with our choice. One thing that people should know about moving from a motorhome to a 5er, is that storage is LESS. Inside and Out. Inside, there is a LOT more living space and a lot of storage, but had even more storage in the motorhome. Outside, even with the very large pass through storage bin, everything had to be put in one big bin and another smaller one in the front. That means, barbeque grill, compressor, tools, lawn chairs, outdoor carpet, ladder, many storage boxes all fit but took some serious arranging. Inside, we will have some getting rid of to do with stuff we don't really need to have that we had in the motorhome that was rarely used. Overall, the quality of the Cougar313RLI was unsurpassed and very nice. We know that often this is not the case and we wanted to convey this to other potential buyers that this was a big deal to us. One thing you don't want is problems to resolve when you are having to work so hard to move from one unit to another.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #6

Reporting that we had a professional hauler move the rig from the dealership to our home.. The new 5er is now parked in our spot and is set up and level and has it's slides open. Love it !.. We will have it home for three months and that will give us plenty of time to get everything we need in it for Florida. Will use the same professional to move the 5er to Florida when the time comes.

Bill and Carol

Tags
jayco