Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidedriver View Post
Guys, I'm new to the forum site. We just purchased a 2016 Augusta Ambition. It's our 3rd 5th wheel. Extremely well built, great factory support so far but it is heavy. On the truck end one thing to keep in mind is the brake controller needs to support electric over hydraulic. I have a Ram 3500 Dually and it tows great. It's my understanding GM may not support that with the stock controller.
We just bought a 2016 Augusta Ambition as well. We have been in it for almost 3 weeks and have found many innovations that we did not even think about when we looked at it. We ere originally thinking about a Luxe, but the cost and weight were a little much for us. When we saw the Ambition, it was the first time in many years that a trailer impressed us as much or more than the trailer we had.

Not sure about the heavy comment. Depends on what you compare it to. A similar Luxe or DRV is 2-3k heavier, and at least $20k more.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #16

Definitely look at some used 5th wheels. You would be surprised what people sell in just a year or two. I bought a 2015 Pinnacle with a ton of upgrades. One button satellite, Morryde independent suspension, hyd brakes, air ride hitch, full body paint plus many more. He had $103,000 in the unit. Sold it 6 months later due to illness for 73500.

Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #17

tks for all the feedback. Realize now that the Jayco Designer is not in the same league as the Augusta Luxe. I did talk to one of the Augusta Luxe Reps and the overall construction, quality of finishes is higher then what the Jayco Designer will have. Also the price point of the Designer is very high so will be interesting to see where Jayco lands on it once they start to produce them. I see the Luxe on par with DRV but with nicer interiors as they have other choices like the white wood which to me seems to make the interior look brighter. Also Luxe is heavier by almost 2 - 4 thousand lbs then the Designer as the dry base weight (depending on model) is anywhere from 17,500 - 18,500lbs for the Luxe 38RL and 39FB and loaded around 19,500 - 21,000 lbs. The designer loaded was around 18,000 lbs. The Augusta Ambition seems to be a better comparison in terms of weight but also think the quality of the materials and construction will be better then the Designer...will have to see. The Ambition with the 38RL &38FB coming in around 15-15,500lbs dry and loaded up around 18,000lbs.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyf View Post
Thanks for the reply and I talked to one of the sales reps on the Luxe today. Was very friendly and sent me more information around the 5th wheel. Agree with you on the design and quality of the rig vs the Designer. Also they back up their rubber roof with 10yr warranty. Still have a lot of research to do but did find out the rigs are heavy. The Lux is around UVW 20000 lbs for the 42' so a F-350 is out of question and the rep said they use F -450 for those and the F-350 for their smaller models...
Sure hope the F-350 isn't out of the question. After talking to several dealers & our salesman at Augusta, being reassured it is more than adequate, bought a F-350 and we will be picking up our 42' Luxe mid-Janury from their factory in Indiana.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
New Ram Drw H O Aisen tranny 900lbs torque . Rated at 32000 towing Just saying
Yea I only have the 865TQ model but it pulls this little 5er just fine, 32,500# combined. SAE rated to do what RAM claims. F450 is also SAE but the F250/350's are not. You just have to believe what Ford says on those two models. The factory rear air ride is nice!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcdlc View Post
Sure hope the F-350 isn't out of the question. After talking to several dealers & our salesman at Augusta, being reassured it is more than adequate, bought a F-350 and we will be picking up our 42' Luxe mid-Janury from their factory in Indiana.

First thing you will be doing is adding air bags! I know you have made your purchase so this is for those in the market. After towing with the factory rear air ride suspension it really is a great. I like leaving the truck in the ALT trailer mode when running solo since the truck sits near level in that mode. The truck has truck has 9,580# sitting on the rear axle in pic. You can see the air system keeps the truck sitting the same with no weight or up to the rear axle rating.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #21

tlcdlc

Congrats on your purchase and best of luck to you. Please let us know how the F 350 works as I am very interested in going down the same path. Also send pics if you can as for sure you will have a very nice rig.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #22

Billyf, thanks for the mention about our blog page.

Not to add a bunch more research for ya, but Forrest River recently added another in the same class called the Riverstone.

And the Tiffin family recently announced the grandson is building a 5th wheel under the company name Vanleigh RV. Figure we will have to go to Tampa or Hershey, PA to see them up close someday.

Sorry I can't give you any informed opinion of the Luxe vs the Jayco Designer - yet.
mds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #23

We picked the Luxe up last Friday & have brought it home to Texas from Indiana. DH said it towed like a dream, and that the F-350 didn't have a bit of trouble on any aspect of getting it home! The RV from factory was 23K. He had already put airbags on the truck, so that wasn't an issue either. The RV's brakes will stop on a dime, and he had his brake controller set to elec over hydraulic. This is our 4th fifth wheel, and we travel all over. We have a very steep grade called Ranger Hill we have to climb to get home, and his truck had no issues! The Luxe is awesome, and we are extremely pleased with our decisions, both with the F-350 & the Luxe purchases!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #24

Awesome! Congratulations!!

Thanks for the update too.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #25

Awesome and tks for update let us know how u like it after a few months

Tags
jayco