Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #1

Thumbs up Jayco Designer vs Augusta Luxe

Am new to forum and yet to buy my 5th wheel and truck. Have been researching and reading on different 5th wheels for last few months. Looking to buy in 2017/2018 (plan to retire in 2021). Will buy 2017 or 2018 Ford 350/450 DW truck which should be able to handle all but heaviest 5th wheels. Plan to use 3 -4 months a year so not full timers. So far was interested in DRV (until seeing several reviews on electrical issues and fact they were bought by Thor), Jayco Pinnacle/Designer and the Augusta Luxe. New Designer is new but seems to be in similar price point as Luxe. However not sure construction from Jayco would be as good as Luxe and Luxe seems to offer nicer amenities. Will plan to go to several shows next year 2016 and see factories once narrow down the choices. Read very good blog https://ourfutureinanrv.wordpress.com/ which has good info on different areas when looking at new 5th Wheels. Any input is greatly appreciated and glad to be a part of this forum.

billyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

Had a 2008 Designer and it was a great camper. I know they went to the Pinnacle line as there top and came back out with the Designer recently. Have been looking at info on line for the Luxe, but haven't saw one in person. But from what I have saw at respective manufactures site, I don't consider the Designer to be in the same category as the Luxe. Go to the Luxe site and look at the build videos and compare to the Designer, big differences. It seems like there is a thread on this forum about the Luxe. A lot of good info supplied there.

I think the Designer is a good rig, but was very surprised when I saw the pricing. Again, I haven't saw one in person, but I don't see where they are coming up with price they are asking for it.
2002dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and I talked to one of the sales reps on the Luxe today. Was very friendly and sent me more information around the 5th wheel. Agree with you on the design and quality of the rig vs the Designer. Also they back up their rubber roof with 10yr warranty. Still have a lot of research to do but did find out the rigs are heavy. The Lux is around UVW 20000 lbs for the 42' so a F-350 is out of question and the rep said they use F -450 for those and the F-350 for their smaller models...
Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #4

New Ram Drw H O Aisen tranny 900lbs torque . Rated at 32000 towing Just saying
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco is a solid manufacturer. No input on Luxe, but likely they are higher on the scale.

Recommendation for your wallet - take your time. Buy a truck. Then search for a 5th wheel. 2-3 years is prime time. Look for shop kept and used enough to be sorted. Save 10s of thousands.

Most new RVs have issues. Unlike buying the truck, most will have issues and many owners spend the first year(s) of the warranty period getting them sorted. Big depreciation up front - take advantage.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:58 AM   #6

Tks for the info everyone and do see that I need to spend more time researching first before buying. tks cb1000rider for your input and will consider what you said. Do you have any recommendations around when looking for a used 5th wheel. How do you know if it is shop kept, etc.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #7

I believe a 350 can be equipped to handle 20k trailer...with the Max Tow Pkg.

cb1000rider has good advice--with 3 years, you can get a really good feel for when you come across a used unit that will work. Keep in touch with the following websites:
RVTrader.com: RV Sales - Class A, B, C Motorhomes, Travel Trailers, & Pop Up Camper RVs For Sale and Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes to stay up with current values on used units--this, and seeing numerous used ones in person, should let you know when you come across one that is well-kept and well-priced.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
The 2016 Jayco Designer is all new and looks more high end than the other manufacturers besides Luxe and Mobile Suites. Seems I read the sidewalls will be 3 inches thick. Also, they are offering 17.5 wheels, disc brakes, multiplex lighting, residential fried/inverter, usb charging ports throughout, AND a 2 year warranty. I'd wait to see one and give it a close look as long as the preliminary floor plans look promising for you.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
The F-350's for 373 gears tow 23,500 and with 430 gears tow 26,500. Ford announced a new Superduty for 2017, no specs yet but indicated even beefier. Will have lots of goodies, built in TPMS for truck and trailer, 7 cameras with one being mounted on the trailer, etc, etc. it's got my attention, due out late next year
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:19 AM   #10

Tks (jswharton and jdpm) for your feedback and advice. I am also excited about the 2017 F350 and looking forward to taking a test drive once they are out. I do believe with the changes Ford is making the F350 DRW will be able to handle either of the two rigs (Designer or Luxe) without any issues. I am also looking forward to seeing these rigs next year at the Hershey show or if they come to one of the Texas shows (as I am in Houston area). Have to see how the pricing on this rigs play out and as they are fairly new may be better to wait a yr or two for them to get the bugs out. So may buy a used one. One thing I did like when looking at other models is the Heartland 3900 FLP as I really liked the porch. Know it is not in the same class as these but since will not be a full timer that may be better choice for the wallet :-)
Old 11-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #11

The longer you can wait to buy a truck the better as the manufacuers are improving all the time. I would think any newer Ram, Ford, Chevy dually would work.

Not sure how much the Luxe will be discounted (normal is 25% - 30%) but it sure looks like a very nice rig.

If I was in the market for a 5th wheel I would consider a used New Horizon, Spacecraft, Continental Coach as well as the new higher quality 5ers.

You would need a 2017 F-450 to tow the custom 5th wheels.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #12

You would need an MDT or class 8 to haul those. Forget the F450 no matter what the Blue Oval crowd says it aint gonna haul those. A Lux or DS yes
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #13

Guys, I'm new to the forum site. We just purchased a 2016 Augusta Ambition. It's our 3rd 5th wheel. Extremely well built, great factory support so far but it is heavy. On the truck end one thing to keep in mind is the brake controller needs to support electric over hydraulic. I have a Ram 3500 Dually and it tows great. It's my understanding GM may not support that with the stock controller.
Glidedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #14

What is the question?

Tags
jayco