Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #1

jayco eagle vs forest river cedar creek?

We are about to buy our first 5er & are down to these two... have equal offers on both from 2 dealers. Both are 2011s.

Which brand would you choose between them & why?

Thanks! I've been lurking here for some time & this forum has already been very helpful!
cascole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Carolina Campers
Hi cascole. Ihad a 98 jayco I pulled all over the country and it never gave me a minutes trouble. I really wanted another Jayco but bought a 2009 Praire Schooner . A nice unit too but it was a leftover and had a real nice price that swayed us .
dunrovin1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
our last fiver before moving over to the bus was a cedar creek 36rlst 2006 model
it was FANTASTIC
we did run a bit over loaded
had both a/cs and a genny
winter time it showed its metal, kept us pretty comfy in the snowy time and out side was 30-19F

fit and finish was excellent
towed great
looked great
i miss having three holding tanks
one kitchen, one bath and one black made for off facility camping a breeze

over its three years with us
i changed a converter, upgraded to gell batteries, one micro wave
and i would opt out of the fireplace and keep the storage.mine worked good although it was mounted wrong and caused a scorched piece of trim

we had double pane deep tint windows, low profile front a/c with heat
6k onan lp genny, king bed, huge awning,
we really liked it and only moved to a bus because the economy tnaked and we got it for a song
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's a tough one. We had two Jayco Eagles back in 01 and really liked them, and the new ones are really nice. We love our 2002 Cedar Creek. The big problem has been that we bought it at the RV show in Atlanta and there is not a local Cedar Creek dealer. We had to take it about 100 miles away to get warranty service. After the warranty was out it has not been a problem as we have a local independent service tech that takes good care of us. Also, Cedar Creek has given us outstanding support the entire 10 years. Do you have local dealers for both brands ? Good luck with your decision!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies! Both dealers are about an hours drive, so pretty equal there.

Leaning toward the Jayco at this point - though only really because the dealer has been easy to work with & feels less 'salesy' than the other. Of course all that will change to a degree after the sale.

At least it appears both have positive reviews based on the responses thus far.
cascole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #6

Remember, warranty is only for one year. After that everything will be on your dime. Personally I would suggest that you go and play house in each one. That is what we did when we were shopping and found that our CC was more to our liking.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Remember, warranty is only for one year. After that everything will be on your dime. Personally I would suggest that you go and play house in each one. That is what we did when we were shopping and found that our CC was more to our liking.
Last time I looked new Jayco products had a twenty four month warranty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #8

I had the same dillema last month and went with the Cedar Creek. I like looking up from the basement compartment and seeing that marine grade plywood, no OSB! Also, no laminated fiberglass to delaminate, they use hung fiberglass which also uses much more aluminum framing 16" o.c. One more factor was color choices, I found Jayco interiors too busy, the CC was more neutral. So far I am very happy with my choice.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2RI View Post
...I like looking up from the basement compartment and seeing that marine grade plywood, no OSB!...
The Jayco Eagles also use plywood instead of OSB.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
We owned 3 Jaycos - a Cardinal pop-up and 2 Designer 5th wheels. They were well built units at their respective price points, and the customer service was second to none. The warranty on our 5th wheels was a 2+3 - 2 years bumper-to-bumper with an additional 3 years structural coverage.

Can't speak to the Cedar Creeks....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #11

I'd go with cedar creek also for the same reasons. It is very well built Mine is the silverback. the 3 holding tanks are very nice. I'm USN retired also Wayne -43
wayne-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #12

On our 2nd Jayco 5er and couldn't be happier. First unit was a 1998 Eagle 293 and this past winter we ordered a 2011 365 BHS. Before we ordered our new one we shopped and looked at several other brands but until Jayco does something to let me down, I'll remain loyal to their outstanding RV's.
Jrmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #13

We have been really happy with our Jayco. My parents have had a few Jayco's as well. Jayco and our local Jayco dealer have always taken really good care of us. If we were going to go to a more expensive brand it would probally be Newmar.
j4nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #14

I don't think the Eagle is should be compared to Cedar Creek maybe a Pinnacle but not a Eagle.
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote