Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Jayco window shades

Bought a '14 Jayco 5er last summer. I've already had 4 window shades to break a string on one side. Dealer has repaired 3 already, but opened up the camper today and the large shade in the living area had broke a string. Just want to see if this is a common problem or am I just the lucky happy camper.

Gahackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 04:52 AM   #2
The breaking of strings in RV shades is a very common occurrence. Before we replaced the day/night shades in the motorhome we had previously with MCD shades, I used to buy the string in 300' spools.

A big reason for strings breaking is sharp edges on the metal tops and bottoms of the shades. The Dirty Blind Man has repair kits and parts for RV blinds. One of the things contained in the repair kits (and also available separately) are nylon bushings to put into the holes in the metal strips so the string doesn't run over the sharp edges.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
This is a very common occurrence and you should learn to fix them yourself. It's really easy, there are videos on youtube. I taught myself and have restrung many. You don't need to order special string, I've found that the stuff you buy at JoAnn's Fabrics lasts as long as string you order from the blind places online. The larger 4 string ones take a little more time but with a little help from another person makes it easier. Sometimes the manufacturers install them too tight (the strings) and they break sooner. I've tried 30# fishing line and it didn't last any longer, as the other poster said the little metal grommets may have sharp edges.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
Thanks for your replies. Looks like I'll have to learn how to restring the blinds.
Gahackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
My problem has always been that the strings broke off the plastic bushing. I would take a small wire terminal, the kind with a hold in the end, and split the part where the wire goes through so that I could get the string into it. I then squeezed it tight and put the screw through the eye and bushing. I think I should have all the shades fixed this way soon.
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36REQS
2015 Ford F350 Super Duty 4X4 Diesel Long Bed Lariet
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote

jayco, window