Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Should I install airbags in my Dodge 3500?
Install airbags 12 40.00%
Do not install airbags 18 60.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #43

But this is not about a 2500. It is about a 3500

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #44

Referencing the 3500 Cummins, our last truck was a 2011 3500 SRW.I elected to put air bags under it to keep the truck and the RV as level as possible.Yes, it would work fine without the bags, but I wanted it perfectly level.What I did find, while coming out of Seattle on a stretch of I-90 eastbound going uphill in south Bellevue, was a stretch of road less than perfectly smooth.For roughly a 1,000 foot stretch of road, bags at 5 to 6 lbs of air, no load behind truck, the truck would start bucking to the point that you were ready to start slowing down.Immediately at a point where the road condition changes, the bucking would stop and you move on down the road smooth as silk.We traded the 2011 SRW off for a 2015 DRW when we also traded for a bigger RV. I’ve elected to not put air bags under the dually.Strangely enough, in this same 1000 foot stretch of I-90, the dually (with no air bags) does not buck.Yes, it’s not the smoothest stretch of road, but no bucking. Even though the new RV that we bought in conjunction with the dually has nearly the same pin weight as the old Big Horn, the new RV is roughly 6,000 lbs heavier; thus the reason for needing the Aisin transmission we have in the new truck.I’m not crazy about what we had to pay for the new truck, but regardless of the RV dealer telling me we would be ok pulling the new RV at 20,000 lbs gross weight with the old 2011 with the 68RFE transmission, when I looked at the numbers, that was not true. If memory serves correctly, the 2011 68RFE transmission was good for around 17,500 (appx) tow weight, whereas the Aisin in the 2015 is good for somewhere north of 25,000.My pin weight with the new RV is running between 3,000 and 3,100 depending on how many outfits the DW is carrying.Our new tow weight behind the truck is now between 19,500 and 20,000 lbs, again, depending on what outfits the DW has elected to carry.With the 2011 SRW, I was a fan and user of the air bags, simply because I wanted the rig totally level while towing.With the new combo we have, I don’t need the bags to be level.

gebills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebills View Post
Referencing the 3500 Cummins, our last truck was a 2011 3500 SRW.I elected to put air bags under it to keep the truck and the RV as level as possible.Yes, it would work fine without the bags, but I wanted it perfectly level.What I did find, while coming out of Seattle on a stretch of I-90 eastbound going uphill in south Bellevue, was a stretch of road less than perfectly smooth.For roughly a 1,000 foot stretch of road, bags at 5 to 6 lbs of air, no load behind truck, the truck would start bucking to the point that you were ready to start slowing down.Immediately at a point where the road condition changes, the bucking would stop and you move on down the road smooth as silk.We traded the 2011 SRW off for a 2015 DRW when we also traded for a bigger RV. Iíve elected to not put air bags under the dually.Strangely enough, in this same 1000 foot stretch of I-90, the dually (with no air bags) does not buck.Yes, itís not the smoothest stretch of road, but no bucking. Even though the new RV that we bought in conjunction with the dually has nearly the same pin weight as the old Big Horn, the new RV is roughly 6,000 lbs heavier; thus the reason for needing the Aisin transmission we have in the new truck.Iím not crazy about what we had to pay for the new truck, but regardless of the RV dealer telling me we would be ok pulling the new RV at 20,000 lbs gross weight with the old 2011 with the 68RFE transmission, when I looked at the numbers, that was not true. If memory serves correctly, the 2011 68RFE transmission was good for around 17,500 (appx) tow weight, whereas the Aisin in the 2015 is good for somewhere north of 25,000.My pin weight with the new RV is running between 3,000 and 3,100 depending on how many outfits the DW is carrying.Our new tow weight behind the truck is now between 19,500 and 20,000 lbs, again, depending on what outfits the DW has elected to carry.With the 2011 SRW, I was a fan and user of the air bags, simply because I wanted the rig totally level while towing.With the new combo we have, I donít need the bags to be level.
I am willing to bet your pin is much closer to 4K maybe more. Mine is over 5K and Mobile Suites is at 20K. My 15 RAM with Aisin/4:10 combo is a dream to tow with. 29,800# combined. Pic of truck with over 5K pin with air ride in trailer mode.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:48 AM   #46

The old dodge transmission couldn't even tow the truck much less a trailer without disintegrating after 10000 miles, lol!

But yea air bags are usually more trouble than they are worth. An on board compressor is very nice to have if you do need bags due to the need to change pressure from towing to not towing but ten out of ten times if you have enough truck for the trailer you don't need bags. They are mainly for correcting bad decisions like buying a Chevy or leveling the truck and then realizing you need to tow or haul something.

Don't fret the weight police that think your truck will implode if you get anywhere close to the max rated limit, they have that opinion because they own Chevys or old dodges and they are weak and scary close to their max ratings but if you have a Ford or a new dodge you're golden, they are built to work and are night and day different from Chevy and old dodges when you max them out and are very capable even a little past the max rating.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #47

Jethro - is mistaken on the Chevy. They have the best motor / trans combo on the market. Dodge weak link has been its trans. Time will tell if they have improved.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa6.6 View Post
Jethro - is mistaken on the Chevy. They have the best motor / trans combo on the market. Dodge weak link has been its trans. Time will tell if they have improved.
Not with the 68RFE and the Aisin transmission on the Ram trucks. Some users have reported as much as 300,000 miles or more with trouble free miles. Ram has a winner with the 68RFE auto and the Aisin is a proven medium duty transmission on the C&C models of the Ram that has been upgraded again for the pick-up trucks.

Jim W.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #49

But hammering on Chevy is so wrong. All three are towing beasts. I tow 20k with 6k pin with mine.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa6.6 View Post
I will agree the GM twins have a good engine trans combo. But the fact is the RAM has the 68RFE that has a stellar record since it's introduction in 07.5. Now with the Aisin true medium duty trans and true Medium duty Cummins your comments are baseless.

The Allison is a good trans but not the same as the one behind the Cummins in the Ford 650/750 trucks.

If you want to talk transmissions in the 94-02 RAM's they did need help if adding power then they were a great trans.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
But hammering on Chevy is so wrong. All three are towing beasts. I tow 20k with 6k pin with mine.
Agreed! Nice to have three to choose from.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #52

Yes it's true that all three will do the job but technically the Chevy does have the weakest motor and weakest transmission of the three for current model years. :P

Dodge really stepped up their game lately with major improvements all around and I can't wait to see if they hold up better than they used to after a few years.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #53

There are Alllisons out there in GM with 1 million plus miles. Your statement is false. I am not downing the Dodge but GM and Allison has a long commitment and is superior in towing. When they had the shoot out towing GM won hands down due to using the less brakes than the other two coming down 1 70 in Co. Not downing anyone but you downing GM is totally false.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
There are Alllisons out there in GM with 1 million plus miles. Your statement is false. I am not downing the Dodge but GM and Allison has a long commitment and is superior in towing. When they had the shoot out towing GM won hands down due to using the less brakes than the other two coming down 1 70 in Co. Not downing anyone but you downing GM is totally false.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's total junk by any means. It will definitely do the job just fine but technically speaking if you look at the specifications the other two both have stronger higher rated transmissions and engines, that's all I meant. Don't take it so personal.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #55

You have drank way too much koolaide. Calling an Allision weak is false. I have came down 1 70 out of Denver and maintained 55 without using brakes towing 20k. Try that with a Dodge. In a few years Dodge may be there but they are not now. Whether one is built stronger than other becomes void when but are mostly trouble free and performs well. The Allison performs better because they are so finely tuned to the Duramax. They have been paired together since day one. Both have same rear axle rating and tow rating also. If I was to buy an new one today, I would go with cost and features. Their is not enough difference to argue about
Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #56

You misunderstand me, I didn't say it was weak, I said that it's the weakest of the three ratings wise is all. It's a very good transmission for sure, but the Ford and dodge ones just spec out a little better. It really doesn't matter unless you put a tuner on it and start cranking up your horse power and torque, the Ford and dodge one will just be able to handle more is all I am saying. Stock your not likely to have an issue.

Tags
dodge