Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2005, 10:01 AM   #1

All it took was 45 mins to install...(helpful to have a forklift at work w/ a pallet to juggle the 100 lbs pin boxes and a plethera of pneumatic tools to assist). If you are not so lucky to have such equipment at your disposal then having a friend or two to help lift and hold things in place as you unbolt and bolt it in would be helpful. Ordered it on Monday and had it at my door on Friday and installed it on Saturday. The 1/2 mile drive home sold me that every penny spent was well worth it. The ride was alot smoother and less jerky with my Cedar Creek.

There was one thing that I found to be a gray area in the directions. It is not stated in black and white that you will most likely not use the same holes that your original pinbox was bolted through. The new pin box seats differently to keep the same height kingpin, just be aware of that. And yes, do read all the instructions before you start because there are ammended instruction points on the last page. I was glad I read them first because it cut out alot of extra bolting steps that have been taken care of or has been redesigned.

If you are going to order one email me off line because Trail-Air offers a reference offer that benifits the buyer and referencee.
Have any questions just email me at jlucs@peddie.org or post here.
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #2

John I just read your post and I am looking atair pin boxes. I have a 2001 Cardinal 36 LX and it rides very rough of course the F 550 adds to that firm ride. I would like to discuss your experience and others you may have talked to.

Jerry
jerry joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I had my Trail Air put on last year and I love it. Really did a lot to smooth out the ride.

The dealer installed it using the same holes as the original kingpin. I had to move it down one more hole to give me the required bed rail clearance.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #4

Yup! They work. Just don't get mesmerizer by watching it in the rear view mirror and forget to watch where you are driving.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #5

I installed the Tail-Air last season. What a ride difference , but you do watch the hitch bob up and down. I kept telling the DW how good it works, she said watch the road !!!!
I drilled out the 1/2 " holes to 5/8 like on the hitch. That was one heavy dog to lift for two of us. Then I cheated and used a Bob-Cat to hold it up.

Well worth the money. Wayne
Old 03-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Not having a forklift or a transmission jack handy, I wondered how I was going to maneuver the old pin box extension out and the new GlideRite pin box extension in, then I had one of those duhhhh moments. I used some adjustable sawhorses with a couple of sheets of 3/4" plywood across them, some 4"x4", 2"x6" cribbing, etc. to support and locate the pin box extenions. Then I used the front jacks of the 5th wheel to lift the pin box off the original pin box extension, swapped it out on the plywood for the GlideRite, used the cribbing to get the GlideRite situated and then, again using the front jacks of the 5th wheel, lowered the pin box over the GlideRite pin box extension. It worked just fine, as does the GlideRite.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #7

this seems like an extreme case but just for fyi......

http://www.gorowan.com/2007ram/Built...mCo/index.html

look at the 2nd pic and be sure and read the what he wrote under the pic
TEX-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #8

I would of sure liked to have had his trail-air. I have the one he has now and it's a good hitch, but I just think the air ride would be better.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote