Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
We have an 05 set up almost identically to yours. It has been absolutely flawless for two years. Well o.k, the a/c quit but that has been the only problem.
It is a bit hard on fuel as a daily river but turns into an economy champ on the highway even with the fiver. We fill up once a day without pushing the envelope and it has all the power we will ever need. Do want a pac brake though, we have had a couple of interesting experiences.

RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #16
Originally Posted by kschitoskey View Post
You got a great truck there. The 5.9 is a well tested, reliable power plant. The injectors cycle 3 times / event so make sure you are religious about fuel filter changes. Make sure you use the 5 micron fuel filter. Fleetguard filters are excellent and I believe they are owned by Cummins. The first thing you need is gauges. You will be working your engine hard and you need to know what's going on. I have a 5.9 with an auto like you. I have a pyrometer (exhaust gas temp), boost and auto tranny temp gauge. The pyrometer keeps an eye on temp - lets me know when to take my foot out of it on long climbs. I keep it less than 12000 at all times. The boost gauge also tells you how hard your truck is working; more boost = more fuel consumption. Tranny temp is self explanatory. If my transmission temp > 250, the transmission fluid life expectancy drops considerably. Amsoil in the differentials and transfer case, Napa AT+4 is the cheapest I've found. Dealer has the best price on tranny filter. Remember the drivetrain service interval is 30,000 miles. You might consider a BD exhaust brake, as they will work well with your engine / transmission combination. I haven't taken the plunge on this yet, but I'm considering it.

Geno's garage is an outstanding source for gauges (and other parts too). I use my local Kenworth dealership for Fleetgaurd filters, fuel filters from Grainger. Turbodieselregister.com is a great site for all things Cummins.

I generally get 10 - 11 mpg while towing a 12,000 # fiver; 17 mpg or so around town unloaded. Your design service life for that Cummins is > 400,000 miles; enjoy it!
Thank you for the awesome supplement to my post. You have provided me with some great things to consider. It is good to know there is a fellow 5ver in here with the same truck. While our stats will be different due to the difference in our rigs and where we drive, there still is some common ground here for me to glean from. I really will take your advice into serious consideration and implementation. I will be extra mindful of the filter changes and transmission service and rear hub you are suggesting. Hat's off to you for helping me out. Much appreciated.

first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #17
Hey Oldbeek thanks for the reinforcement. I will be watchful for these things and implement some of these changes to have a built in safety.
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't really help to answer your question but that is one great looking truck.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
Fuel filter

Here is the fuel filter I referenced above:

Fuel Filter, Element/Separator - Oil, Air, and Fuel Filters - Automotive Mechanical - 2KZR7 : Grainger Industrial Supply

My local Grainger had them in stock.

With the oil filter make sure you specify Stratopore. Lots of junk filters out there...
2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB
06 Dodge Megacab 5.9 CTD
kschitoskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #20
I buy my Fleetguard filters from my local Cummins dealer and http://http://www.genosgarage.com/de...s.asp?dept=154. Cummins owns Fleetguard filters so you get the best air/fuel/oil filters for your Cummins.

Genos prices are hard to beat and is very popular with Cummins crowd. Look around their website for other Dodge/Cummins parts and accessories.

Also Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource - Cummins - Home for all types of info and help or recommendations on accessories with your Dodge/Cummins.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
I run an '03 Cummins dually w/ a 6spd manual, and I LOVE that engine.

You might consider installing an Air Dog lift-pump and filter assembly.

I run a 2 micron filter because of the guaranteed fuel pressure (I understand if you install a 2 micron w/ the factory lift pump you can lose power), which I am told is optimum for injector life. Chrysler is denying a lot of injector and engine warranty claims saying dirt can get through the 5 micron filter, and that's not a covered item.

Also, I've been told that almost no one really qualifies for 15,000mi oil changes, and towing takes it down to 1/2 the 7500mile schedule (3750mi) in some cases, though I change at 6000mi with Chevron Delo 15W40.

I'm sure it's the manual trans, but I can get 17mpg towing my 10,000 pound 5th wheel by being conservative and not exceeding 62mph. Maybe you can save a few bucks at that kind of speed.
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #22
Also, I've been told that almost no one really qualifies for 15,000mi oil changes, and towing takes it down to 1/2 the 7500mile schedule (3750mi) in some cases, though I change at 6000mi with Chevron Delo 15W40.
Your reading the owners manual wrong.
Pay close attention to the astrisks on particular engines in your owners manual for '03 and '04 model years.
My '03 305/555 HO HPCR has a 15000 mile schedule that I use most of the time. Towing or severe duty cuts it to 7500 miles.
The 3750 mile number is for the CARB 235/460 engine that was dropped in '04.5 model year.

I have 198k mile on my Cummins and ran a oil analysis every 50k miles. No issues with using the 15k change schedule per Cummins.

'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote