Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #1

Just put XPS Rib tires on my 5er

Wow - these tires really look heavy duty. They also weigh more than the ST tires I took off the trailer after 1 blow-out. I am still sore from all the lug nut loosening to get the old tires / wheels off and throwing them into the truck and dropping them off at the tire shop. The new XPS Ribs were installed and ready for me to pick up 1.5 hrs. later.

It took all my energy to get them back onto the trailer. Wow, these tires were heavy. I had to hook up the truck to the trailer and have the DW hold the brakes so the hub would not spin. I could not get the lugs lined up and the hub would turn when I turned the wheel to line them up. Having the DW hold the brakes really helped. By the time I got to the 4th wheel I was running out of energy. I will need to tighten again in 50 miles...then again after the next 50.

All in all I think these tires will not blow out. I will let you know as soon as one gives me an issue...if ever.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Wow - these tires really look heavy duty. They also weigh more than the ST tires I took off the trailer after 1 blow-out.
You failed to mention the type and reason for the blow out. Side wall, tread, age, road hazard? What was the born date of the blown tires?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #3

The blowout - the tire just seemed to come apart at the sidewall. Steel fibers were spiking out of the sidewall. Tires had 3,000 miles on them. They were 'china bombs' Trail Express tires. They were original tires on my 2011 trailer.

After reading on this forum I was not surprised when the tire went flat. I was lucky there was no damage to my trailer.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

Good decision. You can now tow with confidence that un-explainable random explosive loses of air pressure and tire failures will virtually cease.
Many people have gone form continual tire failures to zero tire failures and they change nothing but the tire manufacturer. They make no changes in their driving or their maintenance habits but all their tire issue cease.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #5

Well, just be happy you don't have 17.5" tires--they are heavier. If you think that was fun, try changing a 19.5" on my 450, with 10 holes.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Good move tuffr2. My RV went straight to the tire store for 6 new XPS Ribs before it ever hit the road. 11K mi later, I have never regretted the 2K I spent to replace new China Bombs. I rarely even need to add air to the Ribs. On the positive side, I was able to barter the Towmax tires for some concrete labor during the construction on my RV Carport. They are now happily on an equipment trailer hauling form lumber, where they can't hurt anything/anybody.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #7

Wingnut60 - I bet you looked like the Hulk after changing your super heavy tires. All lugs on tight and have to go back on just as tight...ugh.

Lucky you do not to change them often.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

Good decision on the XPS Ribs. I installed the XPS Ribs in April 12 for my 5er also; I made the decision to replace my ST tires after I had a tire failure out west the year before. I had purchased the trailer in Feb 2010 and the tire failed in July of 2011.

I had checked my ST tires on the trailer that morning before leaving the camp ground tires were at the proper air pressure and lug nuts were tight. At 8:00 AM starting to get up to speed on the interstate the driver side front trailer tire explode 10 min’s after leaving the campground. Took out the entire LH side sheet metal and fender skirt also damaging the drain valve pulls and some of the under flooring of the camper, over $3,000 in damage to the trailer.

I have never regretted buying the XPS ribs for my camper I had the tires mounted and balanced. The tire technician could not get over how many ounces of weight it took to balance them. The owner told him that was because they where HD truck tires and not passenger tires that he was use to.

Jim W.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #9

Not sure why there was a lot of debate about about using XPS tires for 6,000 axles trailers. ST tires are just not manufactured to a very high standard. To me, it not always easy to weed out the bad advice to stick with ST grade tires.

XPS Ribs, after I weeded thru all the threads slowly became a no-brainer.

What bugs me is I would have paid the diff. between the crappy ST tires and the XPS Ribs when I purchased the trailer but that was not an option.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

What bugs me is I would have paid the diff. between the crappy ST tires and the XPS Ribs when I purchased the trailer but that was not an option.
And that's because Michelin doesn't make any 16" trailer tires and none of their current line-up of 16" LT tires are approved by Michelin for trailer service.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #11

Not true.
Any LT tires can be used on trailers for better performance.
Only after ST tires were available for 16" wheels that trailer manufactures started using ST tires.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #12

This is a copy and paste email on the subject from another website.
Quote:
Posted: 12/14/12 12:14am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
I sent an email to Michelin for a response regarding using Michelin XPS ribs on my 5th wheel. Here is the question and their response:

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Due to recent high email volume and some technical issues that we have experienced, please accept our apology for the delay in this response. Your interest in Michelin is certainly appreciated.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?

Answer..---------------------------------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Diana
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

PS: It's important that you get all the safety-related materials that come with the purchase of new Michelin passenger and light truck tires. If you did not receive a warranty book, you can download one at Michelin Corporate | Tires, Motorsport, Finance, Careers, Travel & News. If you did not register your tires, please take a moment to do so at Michelin Corporate | Tires, Motorsport, Finance, Careers, Travel & News. Registering your tires is easy and takes just a minute.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #13

I will report if I have any issue...for me, this debate is over.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #14

We do not recommend using passenger/light truck tires on trailers that specify ST tires. If the trailer manufacturer calls for ST tires, it is important to replace with ST tires in order to maintain the load requirement.

We are sorry, but we do not make anything that would be comparable to an "ST" rated tire.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

If we can assist you further, please call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Sherry
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote