Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,241
A candle or two for emergencies is one thing, but the video was demonstrating 4 candles at a time in a pan with flowerpots on top. I wonder how long he's been using candle heat? Google 'pollution from candles' and you'll get a lot of information. His nice little white painted office will probably look a little dingy after a few months. The small space in an RV will get even sootier!
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
vanbuskirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 469
My take is... if I can afford the gas to get there I can afford the propane to keep me nice and toasty on a cold winters night. Especially if it's only for a few days.
__________________

__________________
Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #31
Senior Member
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Erath, Louisiana
Posts: 155
BFlinn181

I installed the cheap heat system my self. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade and had no problems with the install. If you are any kind of a DIY person, I think you can install this system. They do make a unit for a 30 amp service. Yes they say that installation should take a RV tech about 5 to 6 hours. I did mine in about 15 hours ( that's working one hour after work during the work week and finishing it up on Saturday ). The total cost for my installation was $658.00. I was one of you that thought heating my camper with three portable heaters was the way to go. I'm also a vol. Fireman and see what electric portable heaters cause from overheating the electric wiring. This system is well built and very safe. I leave my camper plugged in all winter and the heating unit set at 45 degrees while not in use. I can tell you that my camper is evenly heated and I have no small electric heaters all over the place in the way. When the wife & I go camping we bring our 86 lbs. yellow lab and my kids and grand kids come meet us often. When you have small grand children and a dog running around the camper, you don't need to worry about the portable heaters also!!! Please don't bad mouth a heating system unless you have acturely used it and have knowlage of it. I'm hoping that this system will be installed at the factory at the time of the build. This will bring down the cost. With the flip of a switch you can go from gas heating to electric heating. This system is a great investment in your camper, I love it!!!,
__________________
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #32
Senior Member
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Erath, Louisiana
Posts: 155
Sorry!
I forgot to mention that I'm going on three winters with the cheap heat system and never refilled my two 7gallon butane bottles. I do camp in campgrounds and pay a per day charge, I ask for a 50 amp site and never plug any extra electric cords to the pole. I only use my 50 amp service cord. I fell I'm not using any extra power during the winter than the Summer time.
__________________
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #33
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
Up here in the north we keep emergency candles in the trunk, If you are ever stranded in a storm or without gas and it is winter, light the candle, you would be surprised at how it keeps away the bitter chill... adding a flower pot, might even make it warmer...

I think this is brilliant for an emergency, I doubt it was meant to heat you to toasty warm....
Enokie
Down here. (in Wisconsin), a candle will produce approximately the same amount of heat as a 40 watt light bulb......(Unless Canada is governed by a different law of physics , a candle burned there will produce the same amount of heat as a candle burned here).

A candle is may be great in an emergency, but it will only actually heat a very small space.

Adding a couple of flower pots is a waste of time.

BTW,here is another crackpot candle powered idea/invention:
How To Heat Up Your Room Using Just a Candle: Kandle Heeter! - The Green Optimistic

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Enokie's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Enokie
Down here. (in Wisconsin), a candle will produce approximately the same amount of heat as a 40 watt light bulb......(Unless Canada is governed by a different law of physics , a candle burned there will produce the same amount of heat as a candle burned here).

A candle is may be great in an emergency, but it will only actually heat a very small space.

Adding a couple of flower pots is a waste of time.

BTW,here is another crackpot candle powered idea/invention:
How To Heat Up Your Room Using Just a Candle: Kandle Heeter! - The Green Optimistic

Mel
'96 Safari
I am NOT talking about the RV I am only talking about being in a vehicle, I got stranded (blizzard from nowhere) many years ago in the central part of the country, for about 2 hrs, I had some emergency candles, I lit them (2 at a time) ,place on floor in small holders, and cracked the window the very tiniest bit. hung a blanket between the front and back and the air was warm...er. I never go anywhere without emergency candles in the winter.

I do not understand the sarcasm in your post, it was unnecessary, I was only relating what I do, as every bit of heat is welcome in an emergency, I did not say it would make you as warm as a propane heater... I am sorry you believe me to be so lacking in intelligence.
__________________
Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #35
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
I am NOT talking about the RV I am only talking about being in a vehicle, I got stranded (blizzard from nowhere) many years ago in the central part of the country, for about 2 hrs, I had some emergency candles, I lit them (2 at a time) ,place on floor in small holders, and cracked the window the very tiniest bit. hung a blanket between the front and back and the air was warm...er. I never go anywhere without emergency candles in the winter.

I do not understand the sarcasm in your post, it was unnecessary, I was only relating what I do, as every bit of heat is welcome in an emergency, I did not say it would make you as warm as a propane heater... I am sorry you believe me to be so lacking in intelligence.
Enokie
No sarcasm intended....... just pointing out that candles, where ever used, provide very little heat.
And that adding flowerpots to candles, or any other candle powered gimmick/invention, produces no more heat than candles alone.
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
hjsdds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
My take is... if I can afford the gas to get there I can afford the propane to keep me nice and toasty on a cold winters night. Especially if it's only for a few days.
My sentiments exactly.
The reason I make "British fun" of the subject because there is a difference between emergency and cheap. It's commendable to be prepared in emergency and when survival is at hand, but stringing bunch of electric heaters and figuring out how much power you take from the campsite wiring to not pay for propane is just cheap.
I get it, on long stays it's customary to pay for metered electric usage separately, on short stays of few days , "it's all included in a daily rate", let it rip.

hjs
__________________
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #37
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
It's commendable to be prepared in emergency and when survival is at hand, but stringing bunch of electric heaters and figuring out how much power you take from the campsite wiring to not pay for propane is just cheap.
I get it, on long stays it's customary to pay for metered electric usage separately, on short stays of few days , "it's all included in a daily rate", let it rip.

hjs
!
Add to that:
In most RVs, using the propane furnace to heat the living areas will also prevent the tanks and water system from freezing.

Using electric space heaters in the living area, (although they may keep the living area comfortable in freezing weather), they may/will not heat the tanks, valves and concealed water pipes sufficiently.
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
az bound's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Surprise Arizona
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Wow, let's see, living in a 19' travel trailer for the winter. A couple of lightbulbs, a ceramic heater and foam insulation OR a 240 volt system requiring special service or a 50 amp service with both hot legs connected together. The 'Cheap Heat' system, per their website, requires professional installation (5-6 hrs billed) and perhaps upgrade to 50 amp service, (they say upgrade can be done for a couple of hundred dollars) and the 'cheap' heaters range from $195 to $649 (I have a different definition of 'cheap.' I know, because I am!)
I believe you are looking at an old website. There are kits available for both 30-50 amp service and installation can be DIY.
This will be our fourth winter using the cheap heat system and we are very pleased.
It provides even heating throughout the coach along with heat to the holding tanks, which a space heater cannot do.
No free standing heaters, extension cords or lightbulbs to contend with.
__________________
Harold & Linda
2009 CT coachworks siena 35V
W22 Workhorse 8.1L. Explorer Sport toad,
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Enokie's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Enokie
No sarcasm intended....... just pointing out that candles, where ever used, provide very little heat.
And that adding flowerpots to candles, or any other candle powered gimmick/invention, produces no more heat than candles alone.
My apologies for not understanding you thought I was talking about heating a room ... I was not clear that I was thinking of my horrid time in the blizzard and that anything that might 'prolong' heat would be a good thing, the clay pots I believe would hold the heat (as in the sun) and act like a radiant type conductor to make the heat last... if I am wrong I stand corrected, I was speaking only from an emergency perspective.

(now with 3 feet of snow piled at my door I may have to test it out...)
__________________
Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,241
Mel is correct, a clay pot, a tin can, nothing will ADD heat to a burning candle, only the flame puts out the energy. In a stranded car, in a blizzard, I'd use one or more if I had them, but the video of the Brit using 4 Tea candles at a time to heat his computer room is ridiculous. It will cost him more in paint, dry cleaning, and labor to redo the room after a winter of candles to keep it warm!
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Enokie's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Mel is correct, a clay pot, a tin can, nothing will ADD heat to a burning candle, only the flame puts out the energy. In a stranded car, in a blizzard, I'd use one or more if I had them, but the video of the Brit using 4 Tea candles at a time to heat his computer room is ridiculous. It will cost him more in paint, dry cleaning, and labor to redo the room after a winter of candles to keep it warm!
Yes that was a bit silly, but would not a clay pot or tin can not add to the heat but warm the pot and hold extra heat? I am thinking of how warm a clay pot, sitting in the sun, can still be warm after the sun goes down, I just thought it might 'hold the heat from the candle' even for a little while... good for warming hands!
just wondering, also do you know of anything that might be good in the trunk for winter that can keep the warm... other than those instant hand warmer packs, I mean? Maybe there is something out there new?
thanks for your input.
__________________
Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,241
Transferring heat of a candle from the flame to a container or heat sink only prolongs the energy generated by the candle, it doesn't create more.

When my dad and I hunted we always carried hand warmers powered by lighter fluid. Amazon.com: Zippo Hand Warmer: Sports & Outdoors

When my son played hockey my wife and I used hand warmers that could be used over and over. They have a supersaturated solution in them that a shock starts them changing liquid to solid > heat. Boil and reuse. Heat Wave HW35 Instant Reusable Heat Pack 1 Pair: Medicine Cabinet : Walmart.com
In my car I also keep mylar emergency 'blankets.' Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets (Pack of 10): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
They take up little more room than a pack of cards and really work - for emergencies.
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.