Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #1

How do you keep wasps and other stinging things out of the vents behind fridge and such? I didn't realize how open the vents were.......
Thanks!

1999 Chevy Tahoe K1500 350 w/3:73 gear ratio
AnneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #2

How do you keep wasps and other stinging things out of the vents behind fridge and such? I didn't realize how open the vents were.......
Thanks!

Old 05-31-2006, 01:54 AM   #3

AnneW, for different pests there's different remedies. I've picked up on some good tips from this forum over the years and one of them dealt with effective "pest control". I use two things in each outdoor compartment: one is a Bounce dryer sheet, the other is mothballs (about 6 of them inside a yellow plastic prescription bottle with two 1/34" holes drilled in the side). Both get replaced annually. I've never had problems with mice, squirrels, bees, or spiders. Frankly I think the mothballs are probably the best deterent. I've also read where some RVers had used short 4" pieces of flea collars; -makes sense for insects I guess.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:41 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ron Schulz Send a message via MSN to Ron Schulz
One of the earliest mods I did was to put screening on ALL exterior openings. I did this after seeing a neighboring campers TT and watching mud dauber wasps moving into the furnace vent. Camping world sells some covers and I made up one for the frig cover. Works great..
Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #5

Screens for mud dauber wasps can be obtained from most any rv dealer parts department. The company that makes them offers a variety of custom fit screens for refridgerators, furnaces, h2o heaters and stove range blower exhaust.

Retired USAF MSGT
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
for those TT's that have rear bumpers, don't forget the bumper caps. Most have a hole in them. I watched bees coming and going from rear bumper of a Wilderness trailer I once had.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #7

Thanks! I'll check our local rv parts shop to see if they have any covers.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #8

I have been RVing since "94? and have never had wasps or mud dabbers in my fridge area. As long as the fridge is in operation I think the heat is to much for them. Now if your rig is in storage that might be another thing.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #9

Just wait til you get the first mess from Mud Dauber wasps, those little mud tubes they make are like brick once they dry. They tried my furnace exhaust, then the fridge vent up top and then the A/C. Then I found them flying into my truck(window down in the heat) and going into the A/C vents on the dash and under the hood, what a mess.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote