Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
Member
 
rmalikone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
Keystone Alpine "Part 2" (for everyone's opinion)

Now that I'm getting some responses and It's about 50% pro & con on a Keystone Alpine. The next logical step for me would be to ask what other Companies are comparable in fit and finish and price?
After more communication and getting more information I will post "Part 3" and of course I don't know what will be in the next Part, till I am more educated on different Companies and their 5'vers.

Thanks for your input,
Ron
__________________

__________________
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26,781
Welcome to irv2 rmalikone.
Here is some detail on construction of Newmars both 5th's & MH's.
__________________

__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
Here's the website for DRV Suites (formerly Doubletree RV). I have no idea what your budget is, but I'd strongly consider a well-maintained used top-of-the-line 5th wheel (be it Newmar, DRV, Carriage or a number of others) over a new mid-line 5th wheel for the same money. Check into the construction details and you'll see why.

Let the original owner (me, in our case! ) take the depreciation hit and work the minor bugs out, and you can get a premium 5th wheel for a bargain price (relatively speaking).

Rusty
__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Member
 
rmalikone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
I looked the Kounrty Aire and Star; The Aire is a little out of my price range, and the wife doesn't like any of the Stars floor plans.

I have one question; When you compare the two on Newmar's own comparative page, both are basically the same. How and where does the cost differential come between the two? They have to cut somewhere. This is not a flame to any Newmar people, just trying to get the best built fifth wheel we can afford.

Of course just because of cost difference doesn't mean that the Kounrty Star is not built better than the Keystone Alpine.

Is the Kounrty Star built better than the Alpine?
__________________
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Member
 
rmalikone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
Rusty, the fear of buying someone else's problem is what has me looking at new mid level models at least there is a warranty. "Buyer beware" -so many lemons out there and that include the higher end 5'vers. That my belief.
__________________
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
Many top-of-the-line 5th wheels are being sold by older couples who are getting out of RVing because of health reasons, the death of a husband or wife or other changes in life circumstances - it has nothing to do with the RV being a lemon.

If you don't know how to evaluate what you're buying or don't want to hire a professional who can do that for you, then buying new may be the best route for you.

Ya pays yore money and ya takes yore choice, I guess.

Rusty
__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
Member
 
rmalikone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Here's the website for DRV Suites (formerly Doubletree RV). I have no idea what your budget is, but I'd strongly consider a well-maintained used top-of-the-line 5th wheel (be it Newmar, DRV, Carriage or a number of others) over a new mid-line 5th wheel for the same money. Check into the construction details and you'll see why.

Let the original owner (me, in our case! ) take the depreciation hit and work the minor bugs out, and you can get a premium 5th wheel for a bargain price (relatively speaking).

Rusty
Looked at Cameo which I think is way better built than any Keystone, but the wife doesn't like them - happy wife happy life! We hope to go full time, we both need to be happy with it.
__________________
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalikone View Post
We hope to go full time, we both need to be happy with it.
All I can say is, if you're going to full-time in it, I'd strongly reconsider buying a full-time 5th wheel. They are built to withstand the rigors of full-timing, whereas the weekend, vacation or even the seasonal 5th wheels aren't. JM2CW....

Rusty
__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
jimcumminsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oswego IL
Posts: 1,257
Hi,
I have read your first post and then this additional post.
My DW and I own a 2010 318SAB Cougar made by Keystone. We have own the unit new since Feb. 2010, and had it out for 10 camping trips last year. We loved the unit and everything work perfectly. To me the fit and finish were just as good as my older 2006, Ameri Camp F270RKS Summit Ridge. The camper has been in storage from OCT. till now and we will be pulling the unit out next week. To clean and get ready for our camping season in 2011.
Now for my opinion on why there maybe such negativity by some owners of Keystone products.

One. The new owner did not do a thorough PDI delivery check on the unit, or none at all. This is to make sure everything works correctly at the time of purchase and at the dealer lot.

Two. the Camper was not maintained correctly. These are complicated pieces of machinery and they need to be maintained.

Three. When a problem occurred they did not return to the buying dealer to correct the issue in a timely manner nor informed them of the issue. Some tried instead to contact Keystone and expected them to fix the issue. This will never happen. Do you contact GM/Ford or Chrysler if your car has a problem?

Now for ratings on camper and for unbiased opinions check out this group.
http://www.jrconsumer.com/
JIM W.
__________________
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Cat320's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,757
Bottom line...get the one the D/W likes...you'll be happier in the long run.
__________________
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Member
 
rmalikone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Many top-of-the-line 5th wheels are being sold by older couples who are getting out of RVing because of health reasons, the death of a husband or wife or other changes in life circumstances - it has nothing to do with the RV being a lemon.

If you don't know how to evaluate what you're buying or don't want to hire a professional who can do that for you, then buying new may be the best route for you.

Ya pays yore money and ya takes yore choice, I guess.

Rusty
I here what your saying about a used trailer and talked to the wife and she doesn't have a problem with used, so we'll probably also include them in our search.

To clarify I'm not suggesting that every used trailer has something wrong with it, but I've seen a lot that have delamination, water stains etc. They look so outdated very quick also.

Will a unit be there when we are in the market and how far would I need to travel just to look?

Western Pa. doesn't seem to sell to many upper end 5'vers, I've travel on a Saturday from Pittsburgh to Columbus Ohio just to look at the Carriage Cameo's. Been to Hershey (biggest outdoor show)the last couple of years, and Cleveland (biggest indoor show) in January.

I think that I have a pretty good understanding on what to look for- and to help me in that regards I have purchased from RV Consumer Group their cd's and book.
__________________
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
woodburner's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Mentor Ohio
Posts: 875
The Alpine is being built on the same line the Everests were built on by the same people. It's still kind of early to tell if Keystone has improved their quality control or if they're still just making them as fast as possible and leaving it up to their selling dealers to make the repairs on things they missed.
A couple things that have surfaced from what I have read on the Everest owners forum and on RV.Net is ; Keystone still uses the cheapest tires they can get on their coaches with very little room for error on the ACTUAL weight these things carry. Alpines are BIG coaches.
I would look very closely at the tires, suspension and load carrying capacity they claim. The numbers are tight....maybe even wrong.
The other thing they were notorious for was roof leaks in the slide rooms due to an inferior tape
sealing the slide roof to the wall. It kept crinkling and folding over and has caused a lot of damage on a good number of Everests and now a few Alpines.
Just food for thought.
Keystone is real good with the foo-foo...glitz; and they make a pretty coach. But if I was looking, knowing what I know now..after owning one for 6 years and visiting their factory; I would keep looking.
I'm sure you'll hear a few, maybe a lot who say we LOVE our (Name the Model) And that's all well and good...But do yourself a favor...Look real close at what you're getting for your money and compare it to a quality Used unit before you make your move on a fulltime coach....
You won't regret it. There is a substantial difference.
__________________

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #13
Member
 
rmalikone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
The Alpine is being built on the same line the Everests were built on by the same people. It's still kind of early to tell if Keystone has improved their quality control or if they're still just making them as fast as possible and leaving it up to their selling dealers to make the repairs on things they missed.
A couple things that have surfaced from what I have read on the Everest owners forum and on RV.Net is ; Keystone still uses the cheapest tires they can get on their coaches with very little room for error on the ACTUAL weight these things carry. Alpines are BIG coaches.
I would look very closely at the tires, suspension and load carrying capacity they claim. The numbers are tight....maybe even wrong.
The other thing they were notorious for was roof leaks in the slide rooms due to an inferior tape
sealing the slide roof to the wall. It kept crinkling and folding over and has caused a lot of damage on a good number of Everests and now a few Alpines.
Just food for thought.
Keystone is real good with the foo-foo...glitz; and they make a pretty coach. But if I was looking, knowing what I know now..after owning one for 6 years and visiting their factory; I would keep looking.
I'm sure you'll hear a few, maybe a lot who say we LOVE our (Name the Model) And that's all well and good...But do yourself a favor...Look real close at what you're getting for your money and compare it to a quality Used unit before you make your move on a fulltime coach....
You won't regret it. There is a substantial difference.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Any leads where to look, what sites on the net would anyone reading this recommend?
__________________
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
woodburner's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Mentor Ohio
Posts: 875
If you keep in mind; The Alpine is an upgraded Everest (many of the Alpine nicities are a direct result of in-put from Everest owners) You will learn more about them on The Everest Owners Club ; forum than anywhere else on the net right now.
Check it out; you've nothing to loose and a wealth of info to gain.
You might also keep in mind; Keystone likes to make a coach for a few years to see if it hits BIG; Like the Montana has....If not they drop the line leaving "Orphan" Models floating around. They have done that a number of times; most recently with the Everest line.
You also might want to give the Montana line a look over if a "high end" coach just doesn't do it for you.; They've been making them a lot longer and a lot of the "BUGS" have been worked out. You might be happier. They are nice and there are many that swear by them! Just my 50 cents.
__________________

__________________

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard to find Alpine parts Dave and Jaime Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 21 03-05-2015 08:31 PM
Keystone Alpine Owners Crazy Canucks 5th Wheel Discussion 8 12-30-2012 11:16 AM
Keystone Alpine rmalikone 5th Wheel Discussion 6 09-14-2011 10:27 AM
Honked off at Alpine rockcj Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 2 06-03-2005 09:43 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.