Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Keystone Challenger 5r electrical problems

I'm new to full timing and we have been living in our 5r for 6 mo's no problem. The last couple of weeks we have been having electrical problems. We are hooked up to electric but our lights started dimming periodically and we thought it was a surge problem in the park. But as time as gone by our lights will be bright then within 15 sec they drop down to dim then to very dim. Our refrigerator shuts off and then it repeats the cycle. But now, the frig is mostly off and lights are mostly dim. We have checked the plug and outlet at park and its good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My husband has been working and so I thought I would see if I could figure it out with your help. Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #2

My Challenger had the same problem. It turned out to be the converter. Replaced it and everything worked fine.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #3

What kind of converter did you get. This one seems to be plugged into the breaker panel.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #4

electrical problems

i would agree sounds like your converter is not recharging your house battery. the lights and refer controls work on 12v so thay will work without shore power. i would gess the converter was working some and now it has stoped working and as a result your house battery is dead or nearly dead. one way to verify would be to plug the cord that connects to your truck in leave the engine running and try the lights if thay get bright it would indicate dead battery
Old 05-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #5

We have a battery charger on the batteries so we can use the fridge. Am looking online for a new converter, do you have any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodofotos View Post
We have a battery charger on the batteries so we can use the fridge. Am looking online for a new converter, do you have any suggestions?
Get at least a 60 Amp DC model. I bought a great unit 3 years ago for our small trailer. It was new and at a great price.
Progressive Dynamics intelligent units come to mind. On Ebay for $169.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post

Get at least a 60 Amp DC model. I bought a great unit 3 years ago for our small trailer. It was new and at a great price.
Some units are all in one including the fuse panel. Check yours first. Most high end units are seperate specialy for 50 amps AC units.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #8

I agree with it being your converter.
If your is stand alone, it will be outside the fuse panel area, and just screwed to a floor/wall with a 120V wire and then 12V wires to it.
See what amperage yours puts out. Probably a WFCO 9855 is what you have. Progressive Dynamics makes a 60A which is perfectly fine.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #9

JMHO. Have the batteries tested as well, a bad battery; or poor conections; could be the cause of the convertor/ charger problem.
Hate to put a new unit on questionable batteries.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #10

In most RVs you have a combination of 110 VAC (house current) outlets, lights and appliances and +12VDC (battery current) outlets, lights and appliances.
Most lights will be powered by batteries (and battery chargers) so these are pretty good indicators when things go rotten in the batteries and batteries charging system.
If the charging system went south (since the manufacturers have a tendency to install the cheapest crap they can buy) there is good possibility that the batteries went south too. Typically one cell will go bad in a battery and there is no way to recover or repair a battery with such a fault.
In multi-battery system a bad battery will continue to discharge the good batteries until you find it and junk it. If the battery or batteries are old it's good to replace them all at the same time to start all together from the same point.
I would make the investment and replace both the charger and batteries and stop chasing rabbits down the rabbit hole.
Progressive Dynamics makes good chargers, their 60 Amps units is the model I would recommend as a minimum PD9160A - 60 Amp Electronic Power Converter
I have two 60 Amp PD units, one charging four batteries in my fifth and the other charging the four batteries in my puller.
They also make a 70 and 80 Amp units for larger (multi) battery systems.
If you have a Progressive Dynamics charger in your fifth, my hat would be off to your fifth manufacturer, but I have a sneaking suspicion that what's in there cost them $29.95 in volume.

hjs
Old 05-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post

Thank you, I was looking at that one but didn't know what size to get. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JMHO. Have the batteries tested as well, a bad battery; or poor conections; could be the cause of the convertor/ charger problem.
Hate to put a new unit on questionable batteries.
Had batteries tested and they are good just needed to be charged.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
In most RVs you have a combination of 110 VAC (house current) outlets, lights and appliances and +12VDC (battery current) outlets, lights and appliances.
Most lights will be powered by batteries (and battery chargers) so these are pretty good indicators when things go rotten in the batteries and batteries charging system.
If the charging system went south (since the manufacturers have a tendency to install the cheapest crap they can buy) there is good possibility that the batteries went south too. Typically one cell will go bad in a battery and there is no way to recover or repair a battery with such a fault.
In multi-battery system a bad battery will continue to discharge the good batteries until you find it and junk it. If the battery or batteries are old it's good to replace them all at the same time to start all together from the same point.
I would make the investment and replace both the charger and batteries and stop chasing rabbits down the rabbit hole.
Progressive Dynamics makes good chargers, their 60 Amps units is the model I would recommend as a minimum PD9160A - 60 Amp Electronic Power Converter
I have two 60 Amp PD units, one charging four batteries in my fifth and the other charging the four batteries in my puller.
They also make a 70 and 80 Amp units for larger (multi) battery systems.
If you have a Progressive Dynamics charger in your fifth, my hat would be off to your fifth manufacturer, but I have a sneaking suspicion that what's in there cost them $29.95 in volume.

hjs
I have 2 marine RV batteries and they are in good condition, had them checked. So would I need a 70 or 80 amp unit instead of a 60?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #14

Find out what model converter you have. Then get one close to, or slightly above it.
If it's a 55A like I bet, you have a 15A 120V outlet. You can't go to an 80A converter cause they use a 20A 120V outlet.