Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2015, 10:25 PM   #1

Keystone Cougar

Interested in a Cougar Fifth Wheel. Have been told good and bad things about them. How good does Keystone stand behind their product?
sbert52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
We bought a 327RES in 2011 and other than a few minor issues which the dealer sorted out in quick time, we are very happy with our rig. Remember most of the components such as the stove, refrigerator etc are not made by keystone. The only thing I have a complaint about are the China bomb tires that come on the rigs. Swap them out immediately.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #3

I have a 2015 mountaineer Montana by keystone. Had it 14 months. The following has been replaced: the fridge, the two toilets, a hide a bed mattress, had a recall on axles, a dining chair, a couple of ceiling lights. Overall the dealer has been more than responsive, but Keystone doesn't give the customer the time of day. I called to keystone to ask about items and it was like I was wasting their time. I will not do business with a keystone product again. Also, if the 5th wheel has a dometic fridge expect it not to work. Keystone readily admits problems with it, but keystone will not do anything. I finally had to seek legal advice, then got a different make fridge.
southwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #4

You must have got a bad fridge
3 yrs no problem. Hope the new one does a better job.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

My Dometic has been great for 7 years full timing. I think the problem with RV fridge is the switch them on/off. I run ours all tje time, when seasonal run them all summer and parked all winter.
Been full timing with Norcold or Dometic for 11 years with no issues. Norcold lasted over 15 years.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #6

Of course there was something wrong with the fridge, but should one have to resort to legal action to get fridge replaced on a brand new unit? I think not. Keystone was not helpful at all. When someone spends a good deal of money for something a company needs to be responsive to the person purchasing the item. We are full-timers too so the fridge is essentially on all the time. Dometic products are unreliable. The Norcold has not been a problem.
southwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

Thousands of people have dometic products and they work just fine. I am sure you can find a defect in any product line reguardless of the brand.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We had a 2004 286EFS. No issues. It was a good 5-r for the price.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a 321RES and never had a problem.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
IC2

A 327RES was our second choice in 2014. It probably would have been a first choice had the dealer been closer/easier to get to with possible warranty issues. The Montana High Country, though a couple feet longer, that we ended up with is very similar to the Cougar and to date have only had a couple very minor problems - lousy Dometic toilet (now #3) and a sliding closet door track. We've put over 12K on it but did as my choice, replace the China bombs with LT tires though.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #11

love our cougar

we have a 2011 Cougar 322qbs and love it. Bought 2nd hand and have had no problems. It has a dometic fridge that works great. I think some RVs are just lemons. Often see posts where users have nothing but problems and have trouble getting company to honor warranty. Seems to hit all companies and all price ranges. Personally I bought 2nd hand so original owner got to fix problems
arturob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbert52 View Post
Interested in a Cougar Fifth Wheel. Have been told good and bad things about them. How good does Keystone stand behind their product?
Keystone (Thor) is the largest manufacturer of RVs in the USA. They now own the Airstream brand. The Keystone brand has a 1-year warranty, so they'll stand behind it for a year. After that, you're absolutely on your own in most cases.

Some dealers seem to be better at getting warranty approvals done than others - and some have luck after warranty with items that ARE factory issues - such as fading front caps or roofs that come off unrelated to maintenance.

Have a look at their BBB responses - see how they handle consumer complaints yourself and decide if that's adequate or not. Then compare to similar complaints from Momentum or Jayco (both brands cost more).

The reality is that Keystone doesn't make refrigerators or many of the systems in these RVs and moving to a Jayco will likely net you the same Dometic fridge.

I'd say big differences are:
1) How the manufacturer responds to the consumer. Keystone largely says "talk to the dealer, that's your responsiblity". Other manufacturers may provide direct support.
2) How long the factory warranty lasts.
3) Price for about the same RV - features, construction, etc. I think generally Keystone is less expensive.
4) How much the factory pays the dealer for warranty repairs. This gets reflected in how soon your repair gets done and if you get ANY support from a dealer where you didn't happen to purchase your RV. Your dealer will likely tell you that you can get a warranty repair at any keystone dealer, but practically that's not true.

Ask your dealer how long it takes to get in for a "warranty" repair during their busy period. It can easily be 30-90 days. Add a few weeks for parts delivery, a few weeks for shipping - and that's about how long a warranty repair takes. A few of those can consume your warranty....

Figure out what "PDI inspection" means and go through it - don't sign final paperwork until complete. Use the unit as soon as possible, preferably in the not-busy season to get the bugs worked out.

I have a 2015 Carbon 327 (Keystone). Issues covered under warranty
1) All the LED lights failed while on the road, one at a time. Took the dealer weeks to address it.
2) Roof came loose in front. Took 60 days to repair all in.
3) Misc small things - adjustments, cabinets, etc.
4) Frame had some surface rust from being delivered in the winter (salt).

I don't profess this is good or bad.. And most RVs are generally constructed the same way. MOST of them have issues when leaving the dealer - so don't expect to buy your way out of that.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote