Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #1

Keystone cougar 5th wheel

Any comments on the quality of forrest river cougar 5th wheel. Would like to hear any pros and cons and from those of you who own one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #2

Hi
First time posting on this forum.
The cougar line is made by Keystone, which is a mid level price line of rv's. I own an Outback by Keystone, which is very similar in design, layouts, price point, options, etc.
We bought ours new last year and can say we are quire happy with it. Had some normal warranty issues, mostly cosmetic, adjustsments, etc. These were either handled under warranty without issue from Keystone or repaired myself. This is not a top of the line unit but good value in it's competitive price range for weekending and vacation use.
Like any other rig in this price range, you can expect some problems in beginning, but will give you years of use if you proactively maintain it.
Steve.

2012 Chevy Silverado 1 ton, LTZ, Standard bed, Crew, 6.0 Gasser, 4:10 gears
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #3

My Cougar is a 2010 MY, 318SAB made by Keystone part of the Thor line. This is our second 5er we have owned. We up size from a 2007 MY, F270RKS Summit Ridge Ameri-Camp.
I have had only minor issue with the Cougar and I do believe these same issues could have occurred with a very high end 5er also. The dealer resolved these issue in a timely manner and to my satisfaction.
My recommendation to anyone buying a camper of any type is to research the dealer and the make of the camper. Then do a PDI of the camper before any money is exchanged. The Dealer will make or break your experience of owning that model of camper.
Would I buy a Cougar again yes. Would I buy from the same dealer yes.
Jim W.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

Watch for rigs on the roads and in Campgrounds, you see a lot of Cougars out there so Keystone must be doing something right. We have a Montana, a few steps above the Cougar, and love it. We plan to live in it for approx 6 months this coming winter, in a warmer climate of course.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #5

To; Therink - We also have a 10 Sidney Outback 36. Love the unit, so far. Pull with a 3/4 duramax GMC diesel. Get 12-14mpg. Only downside is our short bed only holds 26 gallons, so range is short. I carry an extra 8 in the tool box for emergency. Used it once.
Wondered how you do with the gasser ?
Ray
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Prior to our current coach, we had a Cougar 5-r w/opposing slides in the kitchen/lr. Very spacious & we really liked it. It's a good mid-level 5-r & with the enclosed underbelly, the pipes & holding tanks kept from freezing in low temps from just the heat of the furnace ductwork.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #7

I bought my 07' Cougar 291RLS in the Summer of 07' & we still have it.

No problems the DH couldn't fix by himself - but having said that - we've had very few issues.

We fulltimed in it for a year, traveling 15,000 miles during that time. Still no problems - not even a tire blow out! (Love our MAXXIS tires too).

Good luck with your decision.

There is always a bad egg or two in every 100 eggs - don't be discouraged - your chances are very good to get a great unit!

Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #8

Thanks, for all the replies. We bought a used unit that had been well taken care of from an individual and saved alot.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #9

We own the new Keystone Cougar High Country 246RLS. Actual length is 28'7". There are several other lengths available as well. Keystone is moving in a new direction with this 5th wheel. It's not like Cougar's of the past. Construction, style, and even color has changed. You should check it out. I've only had one problem so far - one of the grey tank guages had a short. We use it once a month for a week or two in local parks in Florida - so it's getting lots of use. It's not big enough for full timing, but perfect for our needs.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
To; Therink - We also have a 10 Sidney Outback 36. Love the unit, so far. Pull with a 3/4 duramax GMC diesel. Get 12-14mpg. Only downside is our short bed only holds 26 gallons, so range is short. I carry an extra 8 in the tool box for emergency. Used it once.
Wondered how you do with the gasser ?
Ray
Ray
My Silverado 6.0 gasser does a nice job. I have a chip/tuner installed, plus 4:10 gears which help. My trailer wet weighs in at 11,800. I do have to push the rpm's on large hills, but can maintain 65mph with no issue. I weighed out getting Duramax, but couldn't justify the extra $7k for what I use the truck for. If I pulled full-time it would be another story. I average 8-10 MPG. We love our 329fbh.
Steve
2012 Chevy Silverado 1 ton, LTZ, Standard bed, Crew, 6.0 Gasser, 4:10 gears
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
Any comments on the quality of forrest river cougar 5th wheel. Would like to hear any pros and cons and from those of you who own one.
The Cougar is a Keystone product as mentioned below. Keystone makes a Montana which has a forum with many Keystone owners in it. You might jump over there and ask around also. You can find it here: Montana Owner's Club Discussion Forum - Powered by ForumCo.com - The Forum Company
Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #12

Steve - Sounds like your gas rig is doing a good job for you. Plus, the cheaper price of gas. I try to hold our speed to 55; occasionally faster if holding up traffic. If I hauled at 65, I believe the MPG would drop significantly on the diesel. Do appreciate the Allison on steep down grades. Hills are never a problem.

We have the 10 325fre ? (not sure on these designations - is a 36' with the rear entertainment, fireplace and island kit) Only problems have been the slider windows are sticky; the little plastic blinds clips break off and the tank monitors don't read right. Think only the batt and fresh water are right. Othewise we are very happy with the rig. Love the layout and cherry interior. Tows like a dream. Think dry weight was 10,200. Not sure where it is loaded. Guessing no more than 11,500. Only carry 1/3 fresh water.

Ray