Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Keystone Cougar or Montana Mountaineer?

We are buying a new 5r and are looking at either the Cougar or Montana Mountaineer, both made by Keystone. Having finally relieved ourselves of our leaky Dutchman Classic, I really don't want to repeat with another lemon. If anyone has advise as to which models are best, please help! Am starting to question getting a keystone unit at all after reading posts on pissedoff.com. thanks! !
Atoka-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RVelev8trman
Been very happy with our 2012 Mountaineer 375FLF.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130527_174817.png
Views:	556
Size:	685.5 KB
ID:	39627
RVelev8trman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #3

Keystone rates the Mountaineer as a better unit. The Mountaineers don't have the glitz, but they are built on the same frames as the Montana's. They are heavier and have a higher carry capacity than the Cougars. They are also taller and have the dropped front frame for a larger storage bay.
jaycocamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Read the latest post on the toy hauler section. In my personal option I would never own another Keystone product.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
I recently bought a Mountaineer 295RKD. So far I haven't had any problems other than the normal stuff of a new rig. However, I'd suggest you join the Montana Owners Group. There are some posts that astonish me relating to weak frames. Otherwise, most seem to like their rigs.

Montanaowners.com
Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #6

We have a 2010 Springdale Keystone fidth wheel, can't wait to get rid of it. Very poorly built, drawers in kitchen have been fixed 3x, step going up to bedroom is very flimsy. Floors bow when you walk on them. We thought about montana but we've since been looking at higher ends like DRV and Heartland Landmark/Bighorn, IMO Montanas are not built well.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

At this point, if you can find a good used Hitchhiker.. I'd do it in a minute. I loved mine. I'm now VERY suspicious of my latest (below)
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #8

Keystone makes cheaper models than the Cougar.. I'd never touch them unless you are limited by funds. Montana is the #1 seller, as I understand it. Good pricepoint with lot of nice features. Problem is, as with many rv's, are the parts you can't see.. ie, the structure.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #9

I've had much luck with Jayco. Only minor issues that come with every rv. I've read a lot of bad things about Keystone and heard some stories up close and personal. A while back I had a subscription to Trailer Life magazine and seemed like every issue had complaints about them in their consumer issues section.
I'm sure there are many that were trouble free though.
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #10

Bought new a 2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ. Zero problems and I am an anal perfectionist.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #11

Alpenlite32

If you have been reading Trailer Life magazine you will see that almost all of the people that are having trouble with a trailer own something from Keystone.
Run away and be very very afraid
Rule 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #12

2010 Keystone Alpine bought it new and the only problem so far was a crack in the table and they replaced it. lots of keystone haters just no real reason.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We sold our Keystone Sprinter 252FWRLS last fall because we decided to go to a m/h. We bought it new in 2004 and had no problems at all with it. It was back to the dealer only once for the fridge recall. We have friends with a new much larger Keystone and they are pleased too.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #14

We have a 2011 326MKS Cougar great 5ver. One of the best things is only one window on drivers side. A lot of RV's have windows looking at your own sewer hookup.The 326MKS also has loads of storage in the basement.
I think the new cougar 321 is almost the some as the 326MKS.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote