Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2017, 11:39 PM   #1

Keystone Everest

Ok People I am a newbie and probably doing something incorrect already, so please be helpful and not hostel. I have a 2008 Keystone Everest 37ft 5th wheel. I am having problems with the tail lights and markers only brakes and turn signal fine. I know they run on different wires. The tail lights are drawing 19.6 amps and have a 3.3 ohms of resistance from hot wire to ground. My question is I know it is some sort of partly hot to ground issue but I found out how non helpful Keystone is. My opinion it is a piss poor company. Anyway has there been a common. problem with these or am I just going to have to pull the under body down and trace for a short. the lights due light very dimly but with that current being drawn on 16 to 14 gauge wire it wont be long before the smoke rolls. Any help is appreciated.

Rod

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rod,
I would pull all the clearance light and tail light fixtures and check for pinched wires or a short in the socket before I took down all the under-skirting. If you have to pull it down look for spots where there there might be damage like something hit it and start there. Shorts can be a pain to find.

1995 Warrior (former)
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #3

There should be a junction box near your pin box, I would open that and check the connections there first. I opened mine yesterday (for a different reason) and it was "crammed packed" in there, so I could see where something could get rubbed and shorted pretty easily.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
There should be a junction box near your pin box, I would open that and check the connections there first. I opened mine yesterday (for a different reason) and it was "crammed packed" in there, so I could see where something could get rubbed and shorted pretty easily.
Thank for that idea, this is where I had been checking and found the problem of it being shorted, unfortunately not the area of the problem , that would be to easy again thanks

Rod
Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #5

Tail light short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufficon View Post
Hi Rod,
I would pull all the clearance light and tail light fixtures and check for pinched wires or a short in the socket before I took down all the under-skirting. If you have to pull it down look for spots where there there might be damage like something hit it and start there. Shorts can be a pain to find.
So sorry for answering so late, been on the road, daylight only driving
I did pull all lamp except top front and rear did not have time to crawl around the roof, and those are all in fiberglass so if one of those short it would have been in the socket it self. Will get more in depth when we are back in Wisconsin about 1200 miles to go, have more tools and ladders to work on the problem. Thanks again for any and all help, I read a lot on the sites and you can surely learn much on these sites.

Rod
Old 04-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

I have a 2007 keystone Everest and have had no problem with wiring. I did replace my tail lights with new led tail lights and had to open up the opening behind the tail lights (new ones were slightly deeper) anyways the wires to the lights just flop around in the void behind the fiberglass but you might be able to inspect that area. I did notice that they pull wires through the aluminum framing with rough and sharp edges in direct contact with wires. good luck
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #7

if the amp draw is for all the clearance lights and tail lights that might be OK but almost 20 amps for a tail light circuit seems high for me... I'm guessing you have some issues.. I opened each of my connections when I bought my trailer and removed that 3-M Scotch Loc and replaced it with a good connector and sealed shrink tube... its my guess you might have a dirty connection and a partial path to ground, thus the high amperage but not enough to pop the fuse...

Also using ohm's law, your resistance and amperage doesn't work out... dim lights are almost always bad connections and bad grounds.. clean the connections, and if you can coat the base of the bulb with a dielectric grease to prevent the corrosion..

I converted all my lamps to LED's, and I soldered them in place as the current draw for all the tail lights (including clearance lights) is about 3 amps... that's all 15 bulbs... 5 on top in the front, all the ones along the sides, and the ones in the rear plus tail lights... the 16 gauge wires carries that load just fine...
Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljclayman View Post
I have a 2007 keystone Everest and have had no problem with wiring. I did replace my tail lights with new led tail lights and had to open up the opening behind the tail lights (new ones were slightly deeper) anyways the wires to the lights just flop around in the void behind the fiberglass but you might be able to inspect that area. I did notice that they pull wires through the aluminum framing with rough and sharp edges in direct contact with wires. good luck
we are now back home and I can now check it from one end to the other. Thanks for the info about the deeper led lights have plans on replacement mine also. Will post what I find when I get it working may be a few days came back to Wisconsin to early, to darn cold outside.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
if the amp draw is for all the clearance lights and tail lights that might be OK but almost 20 amps for a tail light circuit seems high for me... I'm guessing you have some issues.. I opened each of my connections when I bought my trailer and removed that 3-M Scotch Loc and replaced it with a good connector and sealed shrink tube... its my guess you might have a dirty connection and a partial path to ground, thus the high amperage but not enough to pop the fuse...

Also using ohm's law, your resistance and amperage doesn't work out... dim lights are almost always bad connections and bad grounds.. clean the connections, and if you can coat the base of the bulb with a dielectric grease to prevent the corrosion..

I converted all my lamps to LED's, and I soldered them in place as the current draw for all the tail lights (including clearance lights) is about 3 amps... that's all 15 bulbs... 5 on top in the front, all the ones along the sides, and the ones in the rear plus tail lights... the 16 gauge wires carries that load just fine...
Ohms law might not work out but that was the reading on the Fluke 77 and the wires in the junction box were getting hot enough to burn skin and probably burn up the 5th wheel