Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #1

Keystone Montana

I am interested in their 5th wheel and wondered which model and length do you people like?
gc241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #2

We're not going to be camping in it. You pick what you like.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

The ones with full body paint are the prettiest.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

The best thing is just go out and walk through the different floor plans to see what you like best. We walk through many different ones until we found the one we have now and we absolutely love the layout. It's just going to take some leg work to find the one that works best for you.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
Your question is to broad for folks here to give you any helpful information. There are so many factors in choosing what is right for you. Floor plans aside, things such as tow vehicle, and budget are huge factors. I am just scratching the surface as an example.

If you are serious about gaining information from this forum; you have to invest a bit of thought and provide enough input to allow folks here to share their wisdom.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc241 View Post
I am interested in their 5th wheel and wondered which model and length do you people like?
Hi Gc241, I will answer your exact question, but like the other folks have pointed out, you have to choose.

So, I like the Montana 3790RD or the 3791RD. These have the raised rear living room, which then provides extra outside storage under the living room. That's it, that's why I like them. Other Mfg's. have similar floor plans, but you ask about the Montana. Additionally, these two models have a loaded weight of near 17,000 lbs., so a 1-ton Dually will be in order. My Single Rear Wheel F350 is rated to 15,900 lbs. so would need to go to the Dual Rear Wheel. I could pull it, but I would not attempt to pull it into the hills or mountain areas, flat land only due to stopping it.

Also, I would highly recommend FULL BODY PAINT and AUTO LEVEL-UP SYSTEM and maybe AUTO SATELLITE SYSTEM. Currently, I have Partial Body Paint, and Auto Satellite, but no Auto Level-Up System ... my next 5th wheel will have all of these options. I take very good care of my RV and I'm currently treating it from front to back with Meguiars Clean & Wax #50 Fiberglass wax while removing any oxidation. This RV stays inside my shop when not in use, it is a 2012, so 5 years old, and the painted areas are pristine while the fiberglass areas need cleaning & treatment. So, to save all the labor/time of basically compounding the fiberglass areas I would highly recommend the full body paint. It is the best protection you can buy for the outside of the trailer, and makes keeping it clean & shiny a breeze.

Hope this helps.
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

Thanks CMelder.
gc241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
The best thing is just go out and walk through the different floor plans to see what you like best. We walk through many different ones until we found the one we have now and we absolutely love the layout. It's just going to take some leg work to find the one that works best for you.
We're new to the RV world, but I've saved a lot of leg work so far by narrowing down floorplans online. We started with the RV Show and were totally overwhelmed. Then I began looking at the manufacturers' websites and started looking at all the floorplans. It takes TIME either way, but less frustrating to start online.

You may be limited to what you can actually see at a dealer, though. They don't always have one of each model. Also, be flexible. For instance, I was against the bed in the slide because I thought it would be claustrophobic. Then I saw units with the bed in the slide, and found they really aren't claustrophobic and they have really great closet space. I didn't have a kitchen location preference until I actually saw units, then realized I don't want my back to the door when I'm in the kitchen (not feng shui). Really think about what's important to you and whoever else will be using it with you.
new-to-us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #9

That's a great way to find what works best for you. There are sooooo many different floorplans and options that an internet search is a good start. And looking at certain features to see if you like them or not can eliminate a whole lot by one or two features.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Before we got our coach, we were seriously considering a Montana 5-r. I loved the coziness of the front living room floorplans that just came out back then. That layout also put the bathroom on the same level as the pullout couch (for guests) which I felt was better than them having to go up the steps to the bath located in the master bedroom on rear living room layouts. My preferred length was in the 36ft range for ease of getting into some of our older state parks & back in 2006 they had them that size. Now I don't think you can get a front living room in anything less than about 40ft.

Of course these are MY preferences. Floorplan selection is a very personal thing. You may not like what I do so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #11

Best 5er

gc,

Wholeheartedly agree with most, that to make the best decision, you have to put some time into it and shop around. My wife and I are not that way, however, so we are on our 3rd RV in the last year. Fortunately, we love it, and can't imagine anything that would suit us more.

It is the Montana 3730FL. To those who say this line doesn't have enough storage room, I say "take less stuff!" We have storage space that is empty, and don't want for more. We like the coziness of the front living room, and the fact that, at 6'4", I don't hit my head on anything anywhere inside it----unlike the last two. We also bought the Anderson Ultimate hitch. A good buy, IMHO. Hooking up is easy, as is unhooking. This is my first 5er, so can't compare it to other hitches, but it is easy.

We tow it with a diesel F-250 SRW, and have no complaints. Its almost like it isn't even there.

Good luck, GRZLY 03
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #12

We looked seriously at the Montana. I think for a mid price point, they are a great RV! I believe you get a lot for your money. We ended up going with a Sandpiper, purely on floorplan. I am with the others on flooorplan! I think that having the "perfect" floorplan, or as close as you can find, is a top 3 consideration. Budget, Tow Vehicle, and quality of the fit and finish, all hover at the top too!
We looked at so many dealerships, and at so many brands, they all started running together. Pretty soon, we wanted pieces from one, not some in others, before you know it, we were frustrated trying to find a perfect one. Finally, we found one that was as close as we could get. Pulled the trigger with a little hesitation. Once we stopped looking, and got into our new 5er, we believe it is perfect!
Take your time, look at a bunch, consider what you really want in your new 5er, then pull the trigger. I don't think you can go wrong on a Montana, if it has everything you want. I am sure you'll love what you decide on!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #13

My best time spent finding what fits is hours at the computer looking over floor plans and specs on manufacturer's websites. Then, running model numbers on Google through RV trader and RVT.com to find real price and location (don't put much thought into MSRP).
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
My best time spent finding what fits is hours at the computer looking over floor plans and specs on manufacturer's websites. Then, running model numbers on Google through RV trader and RVT.com to find real price and location (don't put much thought into MSRP).

Yeah, that MSRP, is a number that is meant to justify something ton the bank. If you have a trade, that number gives them the ability to hide all that into a trade, and your loan to value rate is still good. Someone said to start offering 30-35 percent off, right off he bat.

Tags
montana